Dominique Laurent

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: Dominique Laurent

#151 Post by Richard T r i m p i » June 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Agreed on your producer list and more affordably, if not as elegant, Robert Chevillon NSGs. I enjoy the rusticity of Bruno Clair, not to mention respect for the man....despite any "chew". Can't afford Leroy. Most Gouges strikes me as brawny although considerably less of late, fine value. Dominique Laurent...rolling the dice.

RT

A.Gillette

#152 Post by A.Gillette » June 15th, 2019, 6:01 am

Based on this thread I grabbed a couple of ‘99 Laurent’s from benchmark. Last night I opened the ‘99 vosne champs perdrix. It’s tricky to try to pin a particular element in a wine to a particular winemaking technique, but I thought this showed like a 20-year old vosne that was overwhelmed by oak. Not particularly enjoyable and a fairly stylized version of burgundy that kind of hides the elements of the grape and the place of origin. Ive got a couple of others from different vineyards so we will see what happens, but this ties with my experiences with young Laurent (the 2014 CSJ recently was one note and disappointing). The 2001 auction zilliken rausch spatlese that came with it was pretty damn good though! Lots of German auction wines at benchmark that are great buys right now.
A
Alex

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by Greg K » June 15th, 2019, 6:31 am

A.Gillette wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 6:01 am
Based on this thread I grabbed a couple of ‘99 Laurent’s from benchmark. Last night I opened the ‘99 vosne champs perdrix. It’s tricky to try to pin a particular element in a wine to a particular winemaking technique, but I thought this showed like a 20-year old vosne that was overwhelmed by oak. Not particularly enjoyable and a fairly stylized version of burgundy that kind of hides the elements of the grape and the place of origin. Ive got a couple of others from different vineyards so we will see what happens, but this ties with my experiences with young Laurent (the 2014 CSJ recently was one note and disappointing). The 2001 auction zilliken rausch spatlese that came with it was pretty damn good though! Lots of German auction wines at benchmark that are great buys right now.
A
His 99s are notoriously heavy on the oak, which was subsequently dialed down, so imho I wouldn’t draw final conclusions from that year. I’ve had a number of his 06s and have really enjoyed them.
Greg Kahn

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by Joshua Kates » June 15th, 2019, 6:41 am

A.Gillette wrote:
A
I've not had this particular wine, and obviously Laurent used a lot of oak at this epoch, but I wonder what flavors you tasted that to you bespoke "oak." I at least in the wines I've had did not get any cocoanut or vanilla or the other descriptors I associate with oak (rather than let's say tannin). Or was it just the mouthfeel? Genuinely curious, as I might learn something.

A.Gillette

#155 Post by A.Gillette » June 15th, 2019, 8:08 am

Joshua Kates wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 6:41 am
A.Gillette wrote:
A
I've not had this particular wine, and obviously Laurent used a lot of oak at this epoch, but I wonder what flavors you tasted that to you bespoke "oak." I at least in the wines I've had did not get any cocoanut or vanilla or the other descriptors I associate with oak (rather than let's say tannin). Or was it just the mouthfeel? Genuinely curious, as I might learn something.
I got caramel on the palate, smoke on the nose. Like I said in my original post, it’s tough to tie any particular element to any particular winemaking technique, but caramel and smoke aren’t things I associate with vosne and I’m not sure what else to attribute them to.
Alex

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by Joshua Kates » June 15th, 2019, 9:32 am

FWIW, I've never gotten caramel in any of his wines, or for that matter smoke; rather, Vosne spice as I find it in other producers and other 99's, which in my experience tend to be on the big side. But it's possible this was a somewhat odd bottle and/or you're a better taster.
Last edited by Joshua Kates on June 15th, 2019, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by G. Bienstock » June 15th, 2019, 11:41 am

His barrels do impart a signature. I haven't opened one in a while but I seem to remember a light mint and a hard to explain but easy to identify character.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Mattstolz

#158 Post by Mattstolz » June 15th, 2019, 4:06 pm

FWIW: Benchmark sent out a big email list today of his wines. Looks like at least 30 or so different bottlings incoming to their collection in addition to the 15 or so already in stock

YLee

#159 Post by YLee » June 15th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 4:06 pm
FWIW: Benchmark sent out a big email list today of his wines. Looks like at least 30 or so different bottlings incoming to their collection in addition to the 15 or so already in stock
I didnt get that email. Hmmmmm ....
-¥ 0 ñ 9

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by alan weinberg » June 15th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
me, either.

Mattstolz

#161 Post by Mattstolz » June 15th, 2019, 8:42 pm

YLee wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 4:24 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
me, either.
if either of you wanna send me an email I can forward it if you'd like

YLee

#162 Post by YLee » June 16th, 2019, 3:17 am

Mattstolz wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 8:42 pm
YLee wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 4:24 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
me, either.
if either of you wanna send me an email I can forward it if you'd like
Sent you an email.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

A Songeur

#163 Post by A Songeur » June 19th, 2019, 10:29 am

Greg K wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 7:10 am
A Songeur wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 5:49 am
I prefer Roumier...
I suspect I would too if I was willing to pay for it! neener
I know... but blame US importers, traders and merchants as, until the 2017 vintage where he significantly increased his price (still a small fraction of US prices), Roumier Bonnes Mares was hardly more expensive than D Laurent at the door and at some merchants in France (less and less though...)... I am just lucky to only get 1 bottle a year at a decent price. For how long?
I believe wine-searcher is largely responsible for enormous price inflation for cult producers as merchants treat it as an offer price...
Antoine

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Greg K » June 19th, 2019, 10:34 am

A Songeur wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 10:29 am
Greg K wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 7:10 am
A Songeur wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 5:49 am
I prefer Roumier...
I suspect I would too if I was willing to pay for it! neener
I know... but blame US importers, traders and merchants as, until the 2017 vintage where he significantly increased his price (still a small fraction of US prices), Roumier Bonnes Mares was hardly more expensive than D Laurent at the door and at some merchants in France (less and less though...)... I am just lucky to only get 1 bottle a year at a decent price. For how long?
I believe wine-searcher is largely responsible for enormous price inflation for cult producers as merchants treat it as an offer price...
I'm just teasing. I'm not one to complain about wine pricing as I'm happy with what I can afford, but yes, I'd love to afford Roumier. What I've had, I've always enjoyed. (All of two bottles. [snort.gif] )

I had an 05 Dominique Laurent, to get us back on the subject, and yes, it shows a bit oaky. The few 06s I have had did not.
Greg Kahn

Return to “Wine Talk”