Dominique Laurent

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

Dominique Laurent

#101 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 3rd, 2014, 1:33 pm

FWIW, Beaux Monts (aka "Beaumonts") is my favorite 1er cru vineyard in the Cote de Nuits...wonder whose holding it's from? and....always fun to guess with Laurent. Maybe Grivot's?

Beau Carufel

Dominique Laurent

#102 Post by Beau Carufel » March 3rd, 2014, 2:26 pm

On Saturday we had a 1998 Dominique Laurent Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée A that was pretty rockin'. Still fresh but just beginning to show tertiary flavors. It was surprisingly big and rich but that wasn't a bad thing.
ITB: Winemaker & Distributor

Ian Fitzsimmons

Dominique Laurent

#103 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » March 4th, 2014, 8:32 am

I think I have yet to read a bad note on a mature Laurent wine.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#104 Post by George Chadwick » March 4th, 2014, 8:35 am

Ian I've had mixed results with 1996 and bad results with 1995 (but others disagree on both).

C Chan

Dominique Laurent

#105 Post by C Chan » March 5th, 2014, 12:03 am

had a 95 mazis cuvee B last week. i rated it as my Shiraz of the year... :|
Attachments
tmp_IMG_20140227_172347-1196457400.jpg
tmp_IMG_20140227_172347-1196457400.jpg (15.2 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

Anthony Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#106 Post by Anthony Hall » March 5th, 2014, 2:32 am

Interesting the sea change in postings re Laurent. Is it just that people are re tasting wines that are now mature ?
I used to have a modest burgundyman url as a signature. Now if you want to learn about luxury winelover accomodation in Meursault you have to finish reading this much more promotional sentence and press the button with 3 W's in it.

Ian Fitzsimmons

Dominique Laurent

#107 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » March 5th, 2014, 5:16 am

George, Chan: thanks for the counter-examples; they help maintain perspective. I'm just reading Khaneman's Thinkig, Fast and Slow, which offers a good analysis of habitual bias and regression to the mean, which is apt here.

Chan, fyi, the board rule is that all participants show their full name at least somewhere in their post - helps to keep us all on the same plane.

Cheers.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#108 Post by George Chadwick » March 5th, 2014, 8:54 am

Anthony Hall wrote:Interesting the sea change in postings re Laurent. Is it just that people are re tasting wines that are now mature ?
(1) I think a big part of it is the change in the economics of buying Burgundy. Hoping Laurent wines are good is bargain hunting and wishful thinking, in a good way; we are looking for complex rich Burgundies at a reasonable price so we are hoping Laurent is a source. For us not-quite-upper-middle-class people, although we could find the $500 to buy a Rousseau or a Fourrier, logiocally it would be obscene to spend it if one has children, and to buy a DRC of any vintage would be as sinful as gambling away the mortgage, so how do we get to buy great Burgundy unless we hope to get lucky with negociants? Many of the less-expensive Burgs I see recommended here by people with great knowledge do not seem complex to me at all, and someone my age or older remembers many great very complex wines we have had for $50. The post yesterday about Premier Crus and their sources to me is in the same vein (and very helpful);

(2) Sometimes Laurent sources from somewhere pretty great (but although I think his RSV is from a good source, from the TN's I have read he does not handle that type of wine optimally), in every bottle we hope we are getting someone's wine at two-thirds the price;

(3) Tanzer loves his wines, and I like Tanzer, but I do think Tanzer sometimes mistakes oak or other things for fruit richness in the mid-palate (for example when he raves over a Magnien wine I don't know what to think);

(4) finally, style; for a California-based palate like mine, Laurent does well with wines that have oomph, and some of his wines are liqueur-like (which I love in all dry red wines except maybe Beaujolais where I like the Vissoux style); I would like to see some of his 2003's in a blind tasting with California pinots.

(edited to add):

After writing the above I looked at the thread on 2012 pricing on today's first page; it confirms in my mind much of what I am saying. It's getting literally irrational and compulsive for a non-wealthy person to buy those wines at those prices. Further, at my age even if I were wealthy it's a bad purchase to buy a 2012 of something when an earlier vintage is available at a lower price, or even the same price. And the thread talks about Marsannay and Mercurey as alternatives; they are fine, and a more experienced Burgundy palate than mine can appreciate them much better, but at that pricing I would sooner buy an Oregon pinot which I would expect to have more complexity (and I know I'm getting the very best from that producer).

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#109 Post by RyanC » March 5th, 2014, 9:21 am

George Chadwick wrote:
Anthony Hall wrote:Interesting the sea change in postings re Laurent. Is it just that people are re tasting wines that are now mature ?
(1) I think a big part of it is the change in the economics of buying Burgundy. Hoping Laurent wines are good is bargain hunting and wishful thinking, in a good way; we are looking for complex rich Burgundies at a reasonable price so we are hoping Laurent is a source. For us not-quite-upper-middle-class people, although we could find the $500 to buy a Rousseau or a Fourrier, logiocally it would be obscene to spend it if one has children, and to buy a DRC of any vintage would be as sinful as gambling away the mortgage, so how do we get to buy great Burgundy unless we hope to get lucky with negociants? Many of the less-expensive Burgs I see recommended here by people with great knowledge do not seem complex to me at all, and someone my age or older remembers many great very complex wines we have had for $50. The post yesterday about Premier Crus and their sources to me is in the same vein (and very helpful); .
Yes, this is basically it. Picking up some Laurent bargains is a good way to get exposure to some great vineyards that are otherwise cost-prohibitive. Reignots is the obvious one for me, as it has few producers and most wines range from expensive to stratospheric. I'm much less likely to buy Laurent where there are other reasonable options (e.g., Estournelles, Lavaux. Rugiens, etc.). It's worth it to me to spend $70-80 on Laurent Reignots in a good vintage, which has the significant potential of being a very good Vosne 1er and a rare vineyard -- perhaps more upside and interest than the loads of village or middling 1er burgs that are north of that level these days.
C@ughey

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#110 Post by k s h i n » March 5th, 2014, 11:02 am

It has been very interesting and educational to follow a number of producers for the past twenty years also. The 95 and 96 D Laurent wines were highly sought-after and commanded the price similar to Rousseau. C Dugat was really hot as well and his Charmes was more expensive than Rousseau Chambertin. In white, Verget was hot thanks to Bob. It would be interesting to organize a horizontal of the 96 or 99. Fifteen to twenty wines, one setting, single blind.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Beau Carufel

Dominique Laurent

#111 Post by Beau Carufel » March 5th, 2014, 11:06 am

FWIW, the 1998 Mazis-Chambertin I had on Saturday cost me $77 in late 2012. If more came up at that price, I'd probably buy it.
ITB: Winemaker & Distributor

Anthony Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#112 Post by Anthony Hall » March 6th, 2014, 3:41 am

Opened the 2001 Clos Vougeot tonight for the thread. Tannic and underripe but a solid effort and true to terroir - oak was integrated.
I used to have a modest burgundyman url as a signature. Now if you want to learn about luxury winelover accomodation in Meursault you have to finish reading this much more promotional sentence and press the button with 3 W's in it.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

Dominique Laurent

#113 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 6th, 2014, 7:24 am

If older vintage Laurent bottles are indeed well-priced in the secondary market, they have to be great values. The man cherry picked the best from estates like Chevillon, Maume, Grivot and many others, paying top prices for their top barrels of their top wines. Even his silly-sounding "200% new oak" marketing "motto" (which ruined his credibility as a serious, selective small negociant and made people pre-disposed to find them "too oaky" when they were released-- as I did--) can't negate the quality of the barrels of wines the man bought -- all he did was to do the elevage and bottle them.

Lucky stuff for those who find these at good prices.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#114 Post by George Chadwick » March 6th, 2014, 11:16 am

Anthony Hall wrote:Opened the 2001 Clos Vougeot tonight for the thread. Tannic and underripe but a solid effort and true to terroir - oak was integrated.
If you have the 1999 Vougeot VV try it now, I know what you mean about the tannic-underripe thing but the 1999 only slightly feels possibly overstructured and I like the structure.

Anthony and Stuart, Laurent apparently has excellent sources in Vougeot. He has a high end bottling that also has a great source but again he's risky, for example his Romanee St Vivant is something I would not be interested in buying a bottle of, taking all tasting notes as a whole.

Rick Dalia

Dominique Laurent

#115 Post by Rick Dalia » March 6th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:If older vintage Laurent bottles are indeed well-priced in the secondary market, they have to be great values. The man cherry picked the best from estates like Chevillon, Maume, Grivot and many others, paying top prices for their top barrels of their top wines. Even his silly-sounding "200% new oak" marketing "motto" (which ruined his credibility as a serious, selective small negociant and made people pre-disposed to find them "too oaky" when they were released-- as I did--) can't negate the quality of the barrels of wines the man bought -- all he did was to do the elevage and bottle them.

Lucky stuff for those who find these at good prices.
I remember sitting next to a couple at a Bonhams auction several years ago (maybe 2005 or so) and a few lots of older D Laurent came up, cases of 1er and grand cru. The man was doing the bidding and the wife or girlfriend was giggling and prompting him to bid on these lots, which he did and won several.

I thought to myself, remembering the bashing of DL on Coates' recently released book, boy what a fool! This guy and girl have no idea....!

Well, who's the fool now :(

billnanson

Dominique Laurent

#116 Post by billnanson » March 6th, 2014, 12:51 pm

I've 98 Cazetiers and Clos St.Jacques - there's still a little marking from the oak and the tannin of the vintage. But they are vivid and more than drinkable. Happy that I was one of those auction guys that bought for less than $30 per, 3+ years ago, and I think they will only get better and better for my taste...
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

F.Daner

Dominique Laurent

#117 Post by F.Daner » August 17th, 2014, 9:45 am

This was a great thread. Any recent TN's ? I ended up getting the 05 Charmes at a nice price. I see HDH as upped it quite a bit.
Fred

Paul Savage

Dominique Laurent

#118 Post by Paul Savage » August 17th, 2014, 10:18 am

Posted a note on an excellent '96 NSG Chaignots last week, and will post another on an excellent '96 Volnay Santenots. I haven't had anything more recent! If the style is the same, they deserve cellaring (and probably NEED IT).

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#119 Post by Frank Drew » August 17th, 2014, 12:29 pm

I had his '02 Beaune Greves a few years ago and liked it; the initial slight oakiness pretty much went away with some air.

I've got a bottle or two of his 2005 Clos St. Denis but I assume it need a fair amount more cellaring.

For a time he put Dom. Laurent on his labels, which could have been interpreted as Domaine Laurent (which it wasn't); some thought that too cute by half.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#120 Post by George Chadwick » August 17th, 2014, 12:51 pm

More recent note: Laurent 2000 Musigny. One of the very best wines I have ever had. Too many layers of complexity for me to fathom in a restaurant with good company. My only bottle so no followup data possible.

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#121 Post by k s h i n » August 19th, 2014, 7:09 am

I like the style of DL, ripe generous fruit without being too heavy. Dominique seems to do well in mediocre vintages.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Barry P

Dominique Laurent

#122 Post by Barry P » August 19th, 2014, 7:18 am

I've been cracking a fair number of the 02 Grand Crus. All exceptionally good. Particularly the BM. I taste no obstrusive oak.
--B@rry Per$hkØw

billnanson

Dominique Laurent

#123 Post by billnanson » August 19th, 2014, 8:05 am

I have some 98 Cazetiers and 99 Clos St.Jacques. The Cazetiers still has a bit of cigarette ash but is largely quite nice. the CSJ is pretty good and less oak.
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

Ian Fitzsimmons

Dominique Laurent

#124 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » August 19th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Almost all of the notes I read on well-aged Laurent wines are favorable, fwiw. Wish I had more direct experience. The 06 Corton has been okay, but not impressive - and obviously too young.

Mitch Hersh

Dominique Laurent

#125 Post by Mitch Hersh » January 26th, 2015, 6:32 pm

I'm very late to this thread but had the 99 CV from my cellar (bought on release) at the beginning of January. Just an exceptional bottle with bags of life left, no obtrusive oak-though you could taste some- and a finish that would not quit. 95+. Back in the day, Premier Cru would blow these out on their "weekend special pricing" deals for stupid cheap in 02/03 mid recession. Just grabbed the last 2 bottles from HDH but if anyone has some they'd like to sell, hit me with a PM. Also loved the 96 BM and I got some of his 2006 Beauxmonts for not much money and they're excellent.
Cheers,
Mitch

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#126 Post by George Chadwick » January 26th, 2015, 8:37 pm

Mitch Hersh wrote:I'm very late to this thread but had the 99 CV from my cellar (bought on release) at the beginning of January. Just an exceptional bottle with bags of life left, no obtrusive oak-though you could taste some- and a finish that would not quit. 95+. Back in the day, Premier Cru would blow these out on their "weekend special pricing" deals for stupid cheap in 02/03 mid recession. Just grabbed the last 2 bottles from HDH but if anyone has some they'd like to sell, hit me with a PM. Also loved the 96 BM and I got some of his 2006 Beauxmonts for not much money and they're excellent.
Cheers,
Mitch
I'm a big Laurent fan but all of the wines you mention are among his most special. His sources for the CV and the BM are really special and what he does with the Beaumonts is also really special, if you like creamy liqueur of fruit. The 99 CV is just killer. The HDH ones, though, aren't Vielles Vignes and I can't tell if that matters, and they sound a little leaky on the website, so I've ignored them. The 99 CV Vielles Vignes are magnificent.

Other special Laurent wines are Beaune Premier, Suchots in certain vintages, Clos de Beze, NSGLSG, Grands Echezeaux, older Echezeaux, Clos St. Denis, and some very rare almost one-offs like Gaudichots and Amoureuses. Not so special are RSV and Chambertin and post- 2002 Echezeaux. Kind of like Drouhin making wines from Damoy fruit, I feel his Clos St. Jacques is from the same fruit as his GF' Sylvie Esmonin, and her CSJ are not highly rated, so that makes me think, maybe wrongly, that his are not based on great fruit. Maybe outside Fourrier, Rousseau, and Jadot, it's not a great vineyard? Or maybe Laurent's source isn't worth, say, $120 a bottle regardless of whose elevage. Mazis is priced exactly what it is worth. Clos de la Roche is a steal when it's a steal, but sometimes it appears at too high prices -- but it ALWAYS gets Thunderbirded, people love the dark red fruit and Morey dirt with the whisper of buzzing oak tannins on the finish.

The next great Burgundy vintage, if I am still buying wine, I might buy heavy on Premier Cru Laurent pre-arrivals, the best mainstream way to buy Laurent. Especially the Clos de Beze, but I think it's been "discovered" by the market and prices have very recently doubled for that bottling.

Sometimes words like "reserve" are used by producers on mediocre wines but I suspect Laurent's "Reserve Personelle" wines are the real thing, from sources with which he is intimate. I have some but have not tasted any, they are in the $50 range.

The Series Rares really appeal to me. If someone called them a mere gimmick I wouldn't argue. But I like the gimmick. Six bottlings from the same village, each from a different vineyard, one barrel -- 50 half cases -- made of each, together in a sixpack, you're one of 50 people in the world to have had them, for $60-100 per bottle.

If your HDH 1999 CV was similar to the VV I've had, at $115 it's a great buy.

I would love to attend a Le Moine/Laurent Grand Cru tasting over several vintages where Mounir and Dominique have to reveal their sources. I'd be fascinated by the wines, but I think it might turn into twenty people in a fistfight over oak.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#127 Post by George Chadwick » January 26th, 2015, 9:02 pm

And...the best Burgundy I have had is Laurent's 2000 Musigny. My only bottle dangit.

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#128 Post by G. Bienstock » January 26th, 2015, 9:09 pm

I was working with my manager and tasting accounts on 2001 Grands Echezeaux in about 2004. My manager knew it was my birthday and gave me the remainder to enjoy. It was a great bottle.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Jürgen Steinke

Dominique Laurent

#129 Post by Jürgen Steinke » January 27th, 2015, 1:33 am

I did buy some so called lesser wines from vintages 08, 09, 10. All I can say that they are all pretty oaky at the moment. Judgement reserved. It seems that the wines come into balance with some time. At least this is the message of this thread obviously. I check them in some years.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#130 Post by RyanC » January 27th, 2015, 6:18 am

Anyone know where Laurent gets his Reignots?
C@ughey

A Songeur

Dominique Laurent

#131 Post by A Songeur » January 27th, 2015, 7:04 am

[cheers.gif] In Vosne Romanee
Antoine

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Dominique Laurent

#132 Post by dcornutt » January 27th, 2015, 7:22 am

Ryan Caughey wrote:Anyone know where Laurent gets his Reignots?
There are not many choices. Probably one of Sylvie's friends?
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Keith Levenberg

Dominique Laurent

#133 Post by Keith Levenberg » January 27th, 2015, 7:36 am

Ryan Caughey wrote:Anyone know where Laurent gets his Reignots?
According to Tanzer: "these vines are owned by Laurent's secretary"

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Dominique Laurent

#134 Post by Joshua Kates » June 9th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Reviving this thread, as I opened the 1999 D. Laurent Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts Serie Rare last night. Extraordinary wine. Probably the best red burgundy I've had this year (and I've been fortunate to have some good ones at La Paulee and elsewhere).

Youngish looking wine, no real bricking. Nose offers a big whiff of kirsch and button mushrooms, with red dusty notes and hints of violet and cardamom. With raspberry and brambly spice notes front and center, at first sinuous, linear, then broadening out to a long, wide, mouth-coating finish (gums and cheeks) including notable (albeit welcome) acidity, and topnotes of baking spice, with no tannins that are obvious to me. Really silky mouthfeel, perhaps owing to the notorious 200% oak regimen. Could drink this all day, all night. For me in a perfect place--still good fruit, but leaving room for the other dimensions, now integrated and prominent.
IMG_0013.JPG
Last edited by Joshua Kates on June 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattstolz

#135 Post by Mattstolz » June 9th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Joshua Kates wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Reviving this thread, as I opened the 1999 D. Laurent Vosne-Romanee Les Amoreuses Serie Rare last night. Extraordinary wine. Probably the best red burgundy I've had this year (and I've been fortunate to have some good ones at La Paulee and elsewhere).

Youngish looking wine, no real bricking. Nose offers a big whiff of kirsch and button mushrooms, with red dusty notes and hints of violet and cardamom. With raspberry and brambly spice notes front and center, at first sinuous, linear, then broadening out to a long, wide, mouth-coating finish (gums and cheeks) including notable (albeit welcome) acidity, and topnotes of baking spice, with no tannins that are obvious to me. Really silky mouthfeel, perhaps owing to the notorious 200% oak regimen. Could drink this all day, all night. For me in a perfect place--still good fruit, but leaving room for the other dimensions, now integrated and prominent.
funny that you revived this because I just read through it this past week. Benchmark has a bunch of 15-20 year old D Laurent wines listed right now and its surprisingly hard to find much info about them outside of this thread it seemed like. I ended up grabbing a '95 Clos des Chenes VV for like $75 or something, which according to this thread could either be some of the best $75 I've spent on wine... or some of the worst. the thread seems very split. haha!

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by alan weinberg » June 9th, 2019, 1:26 pm

that is a Malconsorts pictured, not Amoureuses.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Joshua Kates » June 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Whoops, of course, you are right, Alan,
Thanks!

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Joshua Kates » June 9th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Joshua Kates wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Reviving this thread, as I opened the 1999 D. Laurent Vosne-Romanee Les Amoreuses Serie Rare last night. Extraordinary wine. Probably the best red burgundy I've had this year (and I've been fortunate to have some good ones at La Paulee and elsewhere).

funny that you revived this because I just read through it this past week. Benchmark has a bunch of 15-20 year old D Laurent wines listed right now and its surprisingly hard to find much info about them outside of this thread it seemed like. I ended up grabbing a '95 Clos des Chenes VV for like $75 or something, which according to this thread could either be some of the best $75 I've spent on wine... or some of the worst. the thread seems very split. haha!
Yes, very controversial, but I think at present there is some consensus that his wines come through in the end. I've backfilled most of mine through Benchmark, and all so far have been well stored, good bottles.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by Joshua Kates » June 9th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Joshua Kates wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Whoops, of course, you are right, Alan,
Thanks!
Both La Tache adjacent; you can see that I don't drink these often enough :)

Mattstolz

#140 Post by Mattstolz » June 9th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Joshua Kates wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Yes, very controversial, but I think at present there is some consensus that his wines come through in the end. I've backfilled most of mine through Benchmark, and all so far have been well stored, good bottles.
im glad to see more recent thoughts. that was pretty much what I gathered by the end of this thread so far. the prices for some of them on benchmark were hard to pass on.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 9th, 2019, 3:06 pm

I guess I need to try one...? I was so turned off by 2006s, that I took them completely off of my radar.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by alan weinberg » June 9th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I stopped when the ex-pastry chef bragged about 200% new oak.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Greg K » June 9th, 2019, 5:42 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 3:50 pm
I stopped when the ex-pastry chef bragged about 200% new oak.
He dialed back on the new oak after the late 90s. I don’t like new oak, but have had a number of his 06 grand crus and they’re actually quite good imo.
Greg Kahn

YLee

#144 Post by YLee » June 10th, 2019, 6:02 am

Hey guys & gals. If I want to get a feel for this Producers wines which 1 wine should I try off Benchmarkwines to see if I like or dislike?

Thank you.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by Joshua Kates » June 10th, 2019, 11:52 am

YLee wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 6:02 am
Hey guys & gals. If I want to get a feel for this Producers wines which 1 wine should I try off Benchmarkwines to see if I like or dislike?

Thank you.
I would go for the Bonnes Mares; I've had the '96, and my note on it was "outstanding."
"

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by Richard T r i m p i » June 10th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 3:06 pm
I guess I need to try one...? I was so turned off by 2006s, that I took them completely off of my radar.
Kevin Shin has a different perspective. I own some 2006 Bonnes Mares and 2005 Chambolle-Musigny Derriere la Grange. Expectations were low when purchased and remain low. Oaky chewy dense Burgs are not typically my thing (probably should have known better). We'll find out in a few years.

RT

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by George Chadwick » June 10th, 2019, 10:01 pm

2003 Chambolle villages Vielles Vignes was awesome recently, better than his 2005 Chambolle 1er Cru for my palate. I tried to find some more, nope.

A Songeur

#148 Post by A Songeur » June 11th, 2019, 5:49 am

D Laurent nailed it in 2003 and claims he nailed it also in 2018.
His Reignots comes from Geraldine whom he employs (ex Perrin Rossin, only plot which was not sold to Perrot Minot). Plot higher then LB, Cathiard, Arnoux Lachaux and Grivot but we have global warming...
As all serious Burgs, it requires age but some drink well when young.
He used to be expensive, he now looks cheap... since many producers increased their prices. All relative...
His Bonnes Mares comes from a well known producer based in Marsannay... only oak treatment/elevage is different

I prefer Roumier...
Antoine

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by Greg K » June 11th, 2019, 7:10 am

A Songeur wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 5:49 am
I prefer Roumier...
I suspect I would too if I was willing to pay for it! neener
Greg Kahn

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Joshua Kates » June 11th, 2019, 9:39 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Kevin Shin has a different perspective. I own some 2006 Bonnes Mares and 2005 Chambolle-Musigny Derriere la Grange. Expectations were low when purchased and remain low. Oaky chewy dense Burgs are not typically my thing (probably should have known better). We'll find out in a few years.

RT
It's a nice point, Richard. I, too, prefer the more "weightless" style of Dujac, or Fourrier, or the classicism of Roumier or the Gibourg sisters. Yet the Laurent I've had has been no more "chewy" than wines from H. Lignier or Mongeard-Mugneret, or Leroy for that matter, and they are not entirely without elegance. The lighter style is difficult to pull off. Though Gouges and Lafarge are also successful at it, to date I would drink the Laurent in preference to Bruno Clair's bottlings (see previously post), of which I have recently had a quite few. Awkwardness tends to show more in these and other cases (some Dublere), though maybe these have not yet had enough cellar time.

Return to “Wine Talk”