Italy's Greatest Sparklers?

Being the Champagne enthusiast that I am, I would like to explore Italy’s greatest sparkling wines. And for those who feel a need for an explanation of what I mean by great: quality comparable to tete de cuvées of the major Champagne houses. Thanks.

Top Franciacorts from Cà del Bosco, Ferghettina, Bellavista, Uberti

Top Talento from Ferrari, Arunda, a few others

Top Metodo Classico Pinot Nero from Oltrepò Pavese from Picchioni and a few others

These are made from the same grapes and generally aiming at the same target at Champagne.

Then there are all sorts of whack Metodo Classicos made from indigenous grapes with up to 15 years en tirage, but mostly made in TINY quantities for fun and to entertain visitors to the cantine.

1 Like

Now that’s the Roberto we know and love. Thanks. Anyone else?

In particular, Bellavista Franciacorta Cuvee Saten. Might set you back $50-60 in the states, but compare it to Champagnes in that price range. Also, it is meant for food, not for toasting. It is fantastic with almost any dish ever seen on a Piemontese table, perhaps the only non-Piemontese wine that can deliver that tall order…

Bill, have you had the Ferghettina Saten? Golden apple creamsickle on a stick!

Have not, but will give it a shot…

1 Like

+1 on the Cà del Bosco

Shame it is so difficult to find vintage Franciacorta in the U.S. I guess it is difficult to compete with the French fiz, especially when they are comparably priced.

Brought back a Cà del Bosco 04 Dosage Zéro from Italy a couple years ago. Wonderful juice but also in the $50-60 range there. Never found it here.

Giulio Ferrari

To me Bellavista.
Those are nice wines.

1 Like

Another vote for giulio Ferrari. Im Still very much enjoying mine from mid 90s. Excellent metodo classico bdb.

Rocche dei Manzoni Valentino Brut Zero Metodo Classico

Third. Super sparkling wines that are distinctly unique.

Bellavista = yummy.
Quadra Franciacorta = serviceable. OK. Not great.

We did a seminar at Salone Del Gusto in Turin last October of aged French champagne versus Italian sparklers and it was eye-opening: Ca’del Bosco Cuvee Anna Maria Clementi 1998, Picchioni Profilo 1996 (I believe brut nature), and 1993 Giulio Ferrari Riserva del Fondatore. I don’t have my notes with me but I was impressed. Difficult but not impossible to find in the US, especially the Ferrari line. Mike

Most of our favourites have already been mentioned: Ca del Bosco [several cuvees], Bellavista, Ferrari but our most recent find which is right at the top is Derbusco Cives both vintage and non-vintage. Of course these all need to be very good since they are not inexpensive but make a really worthwhile widening of choice for sparkling wine - along with some of the top Cavas that are being made.

Of course, sticking to Italy, we also enjoy some Prosecco and Sorelle Bronca and Bisol have some really worthwhile wines too.

Of course they are not ‘Champagne’ and IMO are not directly comparable other than in their sparkling nature although the closest to Champagne for me has been the Derbusco Cives - if closeness is desired. We enjoy these Italians as their own really well-made and tasty thing.

I agree with Roberto straight away. Ca’ del Bosco is all over their game in Franciacorta. I reviewed their brand new line at the Banville & Jones trade tasting. You can see the notes on my site. All three of those wines were excellent and they were not yet here in the US. But they’re coming.

The winemaker there is energetic and young and he’s elevating the house. Big time. And like many, he prefers to serve his wines in regular glasses. Bubbles be damned, the aromas were amazing.

J

I was impressed with the general quality level at a tasting of about two dozen Franciacorta. Far more compelling than Italian sparklers from anywhere else. Satens were the most enjoyable for me.

Commercial Post: For those interested, we stock Andrea Picchioni’s Profilo 1996 mentioned above. I believe we are the sole source in the US.

Thread drift: just confessed to Roberto privately that I am dumping all of my DRC in favor of the Italian national drink, the Aperol Spritz. (Some use Campari, but at 25% alcohol, too heavy for my taste. Aperol is bitter-orange-based and only 11% alcohol, same as Prosecco, so with a dash of soda, you end up with a drink sub-10% alcohol.). Anyhow, if it is available in the U.S., seek out Casa Sant’Orsola Prosecco for your spritz, and also for your general drinking pleasure. On sale, the stuff is 4.69 Euro here, and it kills everything under 20 Euro that I have found, including the Quadra Saten (which made a lousy Aperol Spritz, by the way)…