Apologies

I have posted a message because someone informed me that a question was raised which concerned me.
But except that, I have been very silent. Please accept my apologies.

There are several reasons for this silence, one of which is the fact that I am transferring my cellar from one place to another.
The place where it was will be taken over by the state, and I have to leave it end of 2014.
As I had no inventory in my cellar, I decided that I would make a complete inventory, with information about the levels and the necessity to drink a wine quickly or not.
I made a prognosis that it would take two years, because I cannot give full time for that.
I am not far from the truth.

While I take in hand some bottles, I wonder how it was possible that I had the idea to buy such a wine. But sometimes, I have good surprises because I did not know that I had bought this specific bottle.
For example, I had the good surprise to find that I had a 1929 Dom Pérignon labeled for the U.S. market.

http://www.academiedesvinsanciens.com/diner-avec-richard-geoffroy-et-des-vins-quasiment-miraculeux/

I invited Richard Geoffroy to share it with him, with other great wines.
I have been so busy that I could not participate.
I do not promise to come back soon as I have probably 8 to 10 months of work in the new cellar. I will have nice stories to tell about that !

I wish all of you the best.
Drink well and make live this successful forum.

Firstly François, I feel it is very gracious of you to post the above. Considering all the reports of great tastings, bottles and so forth you bestowed upon us in the past however, you really don’t owe anyone here any explanations.

Reading your note on the 1929 was an emotional experience. And I didn’t even taste the wine. Bravo. Looking forward to future notes when you have the opportunity to return. Thanks for your incredible stories shared.

I have been wondering about where you were! I figured you were busy drinking wine! I have missed your posts!

It is ironic that you have bottles that need to be consumed “quickly,” Francois, considering the age of most. Thanks for checking in with us. We look forward to hearing about the gems and duds from your cellar.

Nancy,
Thank you for your message.
How the death of a wine happens ?
At one moment, without notice, you see (if you have a visual access) that the level of a bottle has decreased. You check. If the cork has ceased to play its role, the bottle is going to die.
An examination of the levels help to see if a bottle is in danger to die soon.
It is what I am doing.

I remember reading somewhere that all Dom Perignon from 1921 and up until WWII were from regular Moet et Chandon stock rebottled in the distinctive bottles we all know. It was only after that period that DP was a separate superior cuvee.

Just wow. Thanks as always Francois.

Good luck Francois! I saw your old cellar many years ago and transferring all the 1875 Burgundy alone would be problematic :wink: