Do super collectible Italian Whites exist?

We need some whites to balance collectible reds at a dinner in Sept.
Here are the reds
1999 Roberto Voerzio Barbera d’Alba Riserva Vigneto Pozzo dell’Annunziata (in magnum)
2005 Vietti Barolo Lazzarito
1999 Valdicava Madonna del Piano
1999 Antinori Solaia Toscana IGT
2006 Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuovo
1990 Gaja Sperss Barolo

No

The only ones I think qualify are some older Valentini Trebiano d’Abruzzos. Made before he died. They can have some of that “natural wine” secondary ferment occasionally so that you have to be willing to roll the dice sometimes. When they are on they are very special.

Emidio Pepe’s Trebbiano too. Jermann used to make a white that was cultish. “Dreams” or something, it was called. By and large though, the answer is no.

Quintarelli Bianco Secco??

Miani Saurint is probably closest.

First and foremost, I’d start with something esoteric and bizarre and ANCIENT from Mastroberardino:

http://www.mastroberardino.com/eng/hist_lev.asp

[Mastroberardino has donated a bunch of obscure vinifera varietals to Foundation Plant Services at UC-Davis. Also, [u]the Wikipedia article[/u] has some beautiful pictures of their archaeological work.]

Then I’d look at Paolo Bea [Arboreus and Santa Chiara]:

http://www.paolobea.com/eng/wines.htm

If you’ve got a ton of money to throw at the problem, then you could look for aged Valentini:

Finally, you might look for Silvio Jermann [Vintage Tunina]:

http://www.jermann.it/en/prodotti/wines/

PS: For years and years now, Jim Cowan has been singing the praises of just the basic Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis.

Gravner and Radikon (or are they orange, not white)? They are definitely cult wines, though for completely different reasons than most New World cult wines.

Thanks–keep 'em coming.
I had a few of these on my list but I realize it’s an uphill battle.

Collectible, probably not, if collectible means expensive. But if you’re just looking for very good whites to pair with apps or certain main courses, you would do well to look for some of Alto Adige’s better estate offerings: crisp, minerally whites without all that “international style” makeup of too many other wines.

Already been mentioned, but the Valentini Trebbiano’s definitely qualify as “special event” wines, and they’re built to age as well.

A step down, but still very nice, are Antinori’s Cervaro della Sala (Umbrian Chardonnay) and PacherHof’s Sylvaner VV.

Picolit can be a nice wine.
Its no Sauternes be sometimes very subtile

Gravner Breg. Amazing.

+1 on Gravner. A bottle of the Anfora was probably the most “cerebral” wine I have ever had. I finished a bottle over the course of about three weeks, a few ounces at a time days apart, and the way it evolved was fascinating – and I am not normally a fan of oxidized notes in wine. It’s unique and yes, collectible stuff.

If you can find back vintages (1999, 2001, etc) of Bucci Jesi Classico Riserva they should still be unreal. Had one of each couple years back and they were great. Just had a 2006 and there’s A LOT of time left.

Another that works well with age and is more widely known is the Cantina Terlano Terlaner. Other producers that I’ve had with some age that may work for you: Villa Russiz, Gravner (mentioned multiple times above), Pieropan Soave La Rocca & Gini La Frosca. Vie di Romans and Jermann make great, bigger wines, but are, IMO, more internationally styled and I’m reluctant to let them age (but they are trophy wines so serving them with your lineup makes great sense).

Fiorano is about as collectible as it gets
Miani
Gravner
Radikon

Ampelio Bucci’s Riserva Verdicchio can be mind bending with age.

Totally agree - every cellar should have a few bottles of Gravner’s whites - at ten years of age, they are sublime -

Valentini comes to mind first, but (um, no offense) if the bar for “super collectible” covers all the reds on that list, then there are lots more whites that would qualify too.

agree
(but I didn’t choose them all) [snort.gif]

I’m enjoying the info.