One of the most exciting Échezeaux I have tasted!

• 2011 Jean-Marie Fourrier Echezeaux Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/2/2013)
    On the nose a blend of black cherries, dark berries, espresso and dark soil tones. On the palate the juicy sweetness of dark fruit kicked in on the first, full of energy, with lovely ripe tannins, great balanced, very polished and ending pleasingly long! A slutty Echezeaux and good company on a sunday night! WOW!

Posted from CellarTracker

096.JPG

very nice, didn’t even know they had an echezeaux!

From the Jean-Marie Fourrier negoce just 580 bottles! By the way 2011 @ Fourrier is amazing!

Wow, I never heard of this either. Great to see more wine coming from Fourrier even if such small quantities. What else will be out from the negociant label?

Clos Vougeot and C-M Aux Echanges.

Got some Clos V coming, dinged on the others.

Is it amazing in a comparable way to 2010, or in the context of the challenging 2011 conditions? Any standout vineyards to watch in 2011 or are both Gevrey and Chambolle great?

I would agree Barry. I tasted the 11’s with Jean-Marie a day or two after assemblage…and they are indeed quite good. I did not taste the negoc wines. My favorite was the CSJ. It had great structure and was quite powerful and the finish was long, long, long. I preferred it over the Griotte on that particular day, as it was very closed up.

I actually found the 2008 CSJ unbalanced due to high acidity, but it’s impossible to make generalisations from one wine. From 2009 the wines are brilliant! Supremely fresh, elegant and ultra-pure, with fine structure and great balance!

By the way, how to best serve young Fourrier Burgundies? Double decant or shake up the bottle before pouring! The Fourrier Shake … it Works!

Wow. This is neat. Negoc wine from Fourrier. With 580 bottles I doubt that any of this will find its way to the USA. I wonder where the “vielle vignes” come from and who the owner is.

The Echanges is available at Zachys, though I think production was around 2x for that one.

Total production of the Jean-Marie Fourrier negoce wines, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Aux Echanges , Clos Vougeot v.v. and Echezeaux v.v. is just 6 barrels.

More about the “Fourrier Shake” here;

http://soyouwanttobeasommelier.blogspot.nl/2013/03/how-to-best-serve-young-fourrier-with.html

I don’t know whether the title of this thread was meant as a quotation or whether it is sheer chance, but Jancis Robinson’s TN on the same wine closes with exactly these words, verbatim!

I completely agree with Jancis;

… One of the most exciting Échezeaux I have tasted!

Wow, I had no idea. That’s a wine Id love to try.

Someone needs to get Jean-marie some RSV and musigny grapes to work with.

I might have managed to buy one from a dutch dealer. But it seems like you can place sold out bottles in the cart and check out, so waiting for confirmation. Can’t remember whether it said sold out or last bottle.

Ooooh, I had not heard of this either! Very exciting!

Foiled! Damnit.

He still had these in case anyone is interested.

I still have a few bottles of the Clos de Vougeot and some Chambolle 1er Cru Echanges from Jean-Marie Fourrier and also some Gevrey chambertin Vieille Vigne, Gevrey Aux Echezeaux, Gevrey 1er Cru Cherbaudes and Morey St-Denis “Clos Salon” from Domaine Fourrier

Same here.