Help! Dead Wines

I’ve opened about 10 bottles in the past 2 week and each and every one had been dead. no fruit, little acid, watery, no flavor. These wines span vintages, producers, regions, etc. Some old and some new.

I’m incredibly bummed about this and I’m at a complete loss as to why this is occurring. Any ideas?

Where have they been stored and and at what temperature? Humidity level?

temp and humidity controlled storage - all appear to be in working order.

has it been humid where you live? :smiley:

Go buy a bottle of Prisoner at a local wine shop and try it.

If it’s flat, it’s you and your palate. Allergies? Time to drink something other than wine for a couple weeks to see if your palate returns.

If it’s a fruit bomb with a solid streak of acidity, you need a new storage unit/location. There would have to be a lengthy time at high temp or daily fluctuation of at least 30 degrees to kill all the wines.

I’m hoping it’s your palate and the wines are still good.

Root days…

good idea on a trip to the wine shop.

the unit is in the basement. it’s always nice and cool. no temp swings or anything obvious. i always have my eye on them.

the weird thing is that up until 3 weeks ago, all the bottles were fine. only in the past 2 weeks is something amiss. my wife agrees. very strange.

That seems a little drastic…

If you are both having problems with the wine then the problem should be singular. Not likely you would both burn out your palate at the same time unless you are both allergic to something or there has been something in the air/water/dish soap that is causing the problem. New dish soap on the wine glasses? On the positive side, it affects both of you, so you should both be able to identify the problem and remedy. Good luck Kevin and keep me posted on the progress. (It happens to me once in a while too.)

I need a benchmark. It’s prisoner or Molly Dooker Two Left Feet.

Have you been eating pine nuts?

P Hickner

Oh man, the bad pine nut thing is a disaster. I had a mild touch of that once. Just don’t even bother with wine for 4 weeks.

Never heard of the pine nut thing.

K.R., it may sound silly but could there be any residual detergent or dust in your wine glasses?

The pine nut thing is real. Even pesto, assuming it has pine nuts, can do it. I avoid pine nuts completely–just isn’t worth the risk.

my wife says the detergent is the same as it’s always been. i’ve rinsed out the glasses ahead of time.

never heard of the pine nut thing. that’s crazy! any other potential dietary factors?

what’s interesting is that we’ve started drinking bourbon in the past few weeks. just a drink or two 2-3 nights a week. i’m really gasping for straws here.

i’m going to take a bottle to a friends house and have him try it in him stemware.

Exactly what I was thinking hitsfan

No need to answer this publicly - just in case the answer might be a little embarrassing - but have you started any new medications over the last few weeks?

Or any new pseudo-medications, like dietary supplements?

Another possibility: Have you had any long-term prescriptions recently refilled with a batch that was supplied by a generics sub-contractor which is new to your pharmacy?

The latest news on what the fiat-electron manipulators are doing with the generic drugs is simply horrifying:

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/15/ranbaxy-fraud-lipitor/

It’s vastly worse than anything that Upton Sinclair ever wrote about in “The Jungle”.

Good point, Nathan. I was on Bactrim for a staph infection last month and it ruined my sense of taste and smell for more than three weeks.

Have you been under the weather recently? Some cold and flu viruses can seriously mess with your sense of smell. I lost mine for several months 25+ years ago. All I could taste was alcohol and tannin – no other flavors.

But I take it this isn’t affecting your reaction to foods.

LOL. That would sound very funny to a non-wine geek: “I hope you’re sick and it’s not a problem with your wines.”