2009 Ronan By Clinet Bordeaux Superieur

I haven’t been on this board for a long time and tried to see if there was a thread on this wine. Not finding one I thought I’d say a little about it. I retired from the retail wine trade a few years ago. Back in 2007-2011 (and probably now) the economy was such that a lot of wineries were discounting some of their current vintages at very favorable prices–typically a $59.99 suggested retail was knocked down to $29.99. After a while many labels, that weren’t worth their original retails, were introduced into the market creating a Gresham’s law situation: bad wine drives out good wine. It became tiresome to taste many of these under-performers. I went to a tasting a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised by the 2009 Ronan. I got so gun-shy seeing the name of a famed Bordeaux chateau associated with a proprietary blend. In this case I was bowled over at what $19.99 (state of Ohio minimum retail) could buy: a a wine of some depth with a supple texture, a reasonably long finish. It is a fruit bomb but without the negative connotations of that term. Loads of berries and red fruits, some spice and beautifully balanced. Kudos to great wine-making that I can afford. Thank you Chateau Clinet and thank you Ronan Laborde.

Mark,

I’m a fan of affordable Bordeaux and I’m glad you enjoyed this.

The name “Ronan” is popular in Brittany, and that is what the owner’s young son is called.

Yes, I’ve had this wine which is very good value for money.

All the best,
Alex R.

I think we have some of this local…I will peek around

Marc -

ABC had this stuff for pretty cheap. $14.99.

I picked up a few bottles of the 2015 for $12. Nothing but raves on CT for this stuff, but it tasted to me like oak soup. I guess people love the taste of heavily toasted oak [scratch.gif]. It gets under my skin a little when I see great reviews for this type of oak-infused dreck. I just don’t get it.