11's in Bottle and 12's in Barrel in Burgundy

I have spent a few days tasting wines in bottle and a single tasting in barrel here in Burgundy. A fun time.

The 11’s in bottle are much better than I expected. The whites have so much energy and purity. Good mouth coating material too. Paul Pernot’s Batard and Folitieres rock!
The reds are much better than I expected. The wines from Mugneret-Gibourg and Francois Bertheau are just stunning!

I tasted at JJ Confuron with one of the Mugnier sons. We tasted 2012 from barrel. The wines showed great concentration and some serious backside tannins. Lots of good wines here at this address. A stunning Clos Vougeot and RSV. Also the Chambolles were showing well. All showed quite serious extract. Tomorrow we are tasting with Vincent Dauvissat.

Fabulous Don!!! I’m going to be in Beaune later this year so your reports are making me excited [cheers.gif]. What did you think of the 1ers from M-G in '11?

Chambolle Feusselots is the big winner to me in 11. Absolutely stunning. We didn’t taste the Gevrey 1er (Young Vines Ruchottes). It had just been bottled and was troubled.

BTW, I was supposed to taste with Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey.
The date of my visit was the only sunny day this week and he needed to work in the vineyard spraying.
We are having some rain for several days. Next time.

His 2011 Chassagne Baudines from bottle at the Caveau was magical!

Jon. You should have some good luck tasting the 2012’s when you come. Many are doing their first racking this week.
In general, no one likes to let you taste out of cask when they have just racked.
By the time you get here, they should be well settled and ready to assess.

Thanks for the report Don. Seems like we have had quite the run from 2008->2012 so far! Unprecedented?

Don, no doubt you’re having a terrific time. Where are you staying/eating?

In December I tasted the 2011 JJ Confuron and 2011 M-G wines from barrel. Both excellent tastings. Fine quality, with my preference leaning towards the feminine M-G style, prices not withstanding.

Passez un bon moment!

RT

Well that’s just great! I was trying to make it another 2+ weeks without buying more wine. But I adore Pernot’s wines and now I have to buy… :frowning:

Don
Nice report. Pace yourself and have a great time

If 2011 really is good then we have had quite a run from 05 to the present. In many ways, though of course with considerable qualification, we have had quite a run from 1985-2012!

Good point. Im not as excited about 2003 and 2004 as you are though and while 1994 doesn’t seem as bad as legend has it, its clearly the lesser of its era. Maybe 2003s will be legendary some day but I’ll likely be long gone so effectively its not a good vintage relative to my tastes.

Interesting. I would never have thought of the M-G style as feminine. I see them as more opulent in style (in a good way).

Berry, a chacun son gout. Lafon, Lambrays, Liger-Belair, Ponsot, Roumier, Rousseau and DRC (naturally) usually seem more opulent to me…to name a few. At M-G, even the CV, Ech and Nuits Chaignots 1er have a certain prettiness. Self-fulfilling preconception could be at work as I rarely get to taste these wines blind. Maybe it’s the influence of the sisters and female staff.

RT

Richard,
We are having a wonderful time despite the rain.
Staying at L’Hotel de Beaune.
Eating at the Bistro L’Hotel, Le Montrachet and tonight a fantastic meal at Aupres du Clocher in Pommard.
Some great food including an absolutely incredible Pigeonneau tonight at Aupres du Clocher and an equally incredible Poulard de Bresse at L’Hotel.
Merci.
Don

Don,

Sounds like a great trip. Can’t wait to get back to Burgundy. It’s been too long. Sorry you didn’t get to taste at PYCM. They are definitely on my list for the next trip as is M-G.

Josh

Sounds great Don. I hear the weather has been awful and I’m hoping it gets better for everyone there.

Thanks for the report, Don. Quite encouraging. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip

I just love Aupres du Clocher!!! Did you order any Coche off the list :slight_smile:?

Thanks for the report! Music to my ears as I bought 2011 Bertheau 1er and Charmes on faith. He seems to make pretty wines even in lesser vintages.

Don, thanks for the report. I’ve only been back from Burgundy a few weeks and I’m already missing it! We wanted to visit with MG and Bertheau but the timing didn’t work out, so I’m glad to hear you think highly of their 2011s.

We had a great dinner at Aupres du Clocher (no Coche Favre, but Selosse, Niellon and Gaunoux, so not bad [cheers.gif] ).

We also had a fantastic lunch at Le Montrachet…the vanilla bean/olive oil/goat cheese sorbet palate cleanser was one of the best I’ve ever had!

Sounds like you’re having a great time…keep the reports coming.

Those would do just fine neener!