Made it a full month

As of today I have not bought a single bottle of wine for a full month. The boxes on the floor of my storage unit (which should not be there at all) are slowly emptying out though three pending pre-arrival orders will slow the process. TCWC is shipping on Monday but if Premier Cru is true to form I won’t have to worry about those bottles for a while. I don’t know what’s up with Crush which is usually much more prompt but I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Having made it this far I’m relaxing my regimen. My next goal is 2 months of only buying wines for immediate summer consumption (rieslings, roses, moscato d’asti…). If I keep this up the next Leo’s blind wine dinner I host should see the floor clear of wine.

I have a drinking problem. I don’t drink nearly enough to keep up with my wine buying.

Let me tell you, withdrawal symptoms have been bad. The Arcadian thread in particular had me on their website filling up my cart before I forced myself to close the window without buying. I’m letting the 2010 Burgundies largely pass me by but I’ll probably be dead by the time they’re mature anyway. Still, there is a substantial feeling of accomplishment which I figured few people outside the wine boards could really understand :slight_smile:
champagne.gif

Well done! I’ve tried to apply similar restraint, but haven’t been particularly good for longer than a couple of weeks at a time (I keep slipping every time I see some old Bordeaux, and old Figeac is too tempting to pass up).

We should celebrate this by opening some more wine and making space in our cellars soon (especially as I’ve just dug up more 01 Catoir Scheurebe). Soul Flavors some time next month?

Thanks Salil! Sounds like a great idea, a weeknight would be better than a weekend in May. Let’s take the planning to email, I know a bunch of people who have been lamenting the long wait since the last one.

Great job Jay. I keep trying and failing to exercise the same level of restraint. Hi my name is David, and I have a buying problem.

Indeed. I’ve been failing lately, personally. Ramped up my consumption in the marketplace and lessened it at home. Need to buy more space at my offsite facility…

Congrats to you though, Jay!

Congratulations! Admitting the problem and doing something about it. I admire moxie! And if you ever need to clear space and are planning a trip to Ithaca area, I am sure a jeebus could be mustered.

Very nice, Jay. Unfortunately, I’m gettiung ready to open up my third offsite storage loicker. I’m fearing that only death will stop me

My condolences.

LOL. You’ll be amused by this, Jay. End of last year my storage lockers and my office and home wine fridges (small ones) were totally full. I had an end-of-year delivery of 2 cases of really fine stuff that I need to hide away, so I took down another locker. I felt really gross about taking down yet another, questioning the economics of another locker just because of 2 cases. And this past week, I chuckled that my new locker is already full. Ugh.

LOL, yes. I had hoped that the the constraints of shelf space in my storage locker would get the buying under control. When I saw the pile of boxes next to and in front the shelving start to block my access I realized I needed to take action.

Wow, that takes me back. I haven’t been to Ithaca since the summer of 1977 when I attended a National Science Foundation program for high school students at Ithaca college. I have very fond memories of Ithaca.

that is truly admirable, Jay
No peeking at wine bid?

I slipped and placed a bid on one bottle (it’s far too easy) but fortunately I was outbid.

Nice job Jay.
I know exactly what you say.
I have the same problem as yours.
Will see whether I can survive the whole full month. Right now I am just doing it one day at a time.

I, too, have a problem: too little storage, too little drinking, and–dare I say it–enough wine. I have tried not to buy this year, but have bought about six bottles a month since January. It is too hard to go cold turkey.
alan

Good job Jay. I’m also cutting back. I haven’t bought a single bottle since yesterday’s 2 cases and 3 mags.

Phuck, I just bought 2010 Clape Cornas Renaisance. Why fight it?

Congratulations! Just take it one second at a time…

I’ve failed miserably this past month [cry.gif]… This time of year sucks - except for the weather outside [highfive.gif]!

Throw more parties, Jay. [cheers.gif]