TN: NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvée Brut (France, Champagne)

• NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvée Brut - France, Champagne (4/9/2013)
    V651 on cork…so 06 disgorgement? Yes…definitely on the oxidative side…baked apples, peaches, lemon…yeasty bread dough, hazelnut butter, fine sherry…yet it is also fresh with lemon citrus, green apple skin acidity, crushed stones. Very tiny bubbles, creamy airy mousse…good cut of ginger spice. Other than the 76 I’ve had…this seems to be more oxidative than the Vintages(90 on) that I’ve had? Still, I like the style…and this is a nice one to sip on! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Can someone give me a quick Krug lesson here…disgorged 9-10 of 2006…so primary what year grapes? And how far back with reserves?
Looks like bottles released after 2011 you can put in a code on their website, and it will give you all the details…which would be very helpful!

Thanks

Good question- I have a bottle of NV Krug that I have had for at least 10 years…anyway of knowing info as to when it was bottled? I guess I need to drink this up though

Brian,

You have a 2000 base which is drinking very well IMO and has since release. They are just now releasing the 2005 base onto the market (disgorged early 2012).

Thanks Brad! So, the base is 6 yrs prior dg? Do they do a base and dg every year?

I guess I need to subscribe Brad! champagne.gif

Is that a Bordeaux glass?!

If it’s produced after 1999 I think the side of the top of the cork will have a code on it that can be deciphered to provide a disgorgement date, but I can’t recall if it can be read by just removing the foil.

Alex - FYI, it’s a serious crime (on my planet, anyway) to drink fine Champagne from a flute! champagne.gif

[cheers.gif]

Deciphering the code on this cork, V561:

v identifies the cork producer
5 is the last number of the year it was disgorged
6 is the month (grouped by two months at a time; see below) that the bottle was disgorged (approximately)
1 identifies the batch of the cork related to the producer identified by v

The months are grouped and identified as follows:
1 = January/February
2 = March/April
3 = May/June
4 = July/August
5 = September/October
6 = November/December

BTW, I also use a Bordeaux stem in favor of a flute more so than not. The aromatics are greatly enhanced.

Thanks for this info- pretty sure the one I have is pre 1999.

I concur, but I usually drink it from a Riesling Grand Cru glass. Bordeaux glass a bit extreme.

That was my thought until I tried it. Now, I find many of my wine geek friends doing the same thing or drinking out of a larger bowl/ stem.

Brian,

Krug does a new blend every year and disgorges regularly throughout the year. It is important to note that disgorging of a blend doesn’t follow a calendar year meaning that the a base vintage may be disgorged from March of one year to June of the next and not Jan-Dec of one year.

There is no hard and fast rule on age prior to disgorgement and it could be a little less than 6 years to more than 8. It all depends on what the wine needs, winery focus, quantity produced, and market demand. Krug just released the 2005 based Grande Cuvee and this was disgorged starting in early 2012.

As for your wine, I have always found it to be a rich and forward example of Grande Cuvee. The deeper, richer 2000 vintage mixed with lots of reserve wines has resulted in a wine that I find very expressive and a great match for food. It is a big contrast to the following years (based on 2001) Grande Cuvee which is much more sleek and finesse filled. In fact, the 2000 based Grande Cuvee you had is nicknamed “Richesse” at Krug. I also think it still has a good future ahead of it as it hasn’t changed all that much since it was first released around 5 years ago.

Another bottle tonight…same disgorgment. 1996 Salon has ruined it for me!! After having that 96 last week…this Krug is REALLY oxidized to me now! What a contrast in styles? The fresh laser beam citrus Salon…to this nutty, sherryish, but still alive with citrus, Krug. Don’t get me wrong…still love the Krug style…but I REALLY LOVE that Salon! This Krug is a “in the mood” style wine for me…the Salon is a “drink 365 if I could” style wine!! I’m sure most see it this way?
Again…this MV seems more ox than post 90 Vintage Krug’s I’ve had…still quite alive with citrus bubbles…but doesn’t float my boat like that Salon!

Not sure if it’s on your bottle but, recently Krug started doing a code that if you got on their website & typed in the code from your they would give you a complete breakdown of what years the blends came from & when it was disgorged. Shared a bottle this past Christmas day with the family & the oldest part of the blend was 12-15years I believe.

I believe the code was on the back of the bottle, not a 100% but, I can varify at work Tomm. for those interested

I’m in agreement with you on the 96 Salon - it’s a great Champagne. And the Krug is just a little too oxidative for me. In a recent Champagne tasting (IMHO) the 96 Salon wiped the Krug 90, 88, and 85 off the table.

I believe the coded bottles started in 2011 disgorgement?

Hey Buzzini,

I opened the same bottle last month.
Wasn’t impressed.
Thought it was a waste of money, at least for me.
Was expecting at least a yummy but it just fell flat.

Viva 96 Salon flirtysmile

Cheers