Advice on Serving a 1990 Gaja Sperss?

I am serving a 1990 Gaja Sperss tonight, and am unsure as how to bring it to its best. Decant? For how long? Slow ox, or pop and pour.
I really need some advice on this, and have some time yet, as it is only 8.30 in the morning.

Guidance please… and thank you.

how long will dinner last? As this is one of the best barolo I have ever tasted, I would suggest pop and pour and let it evolve in your glass over 2-4 hours, marveling at how it changes in your glass. Providing, of course, that you have the time…

We will be serving other wines and this is not the showpiece wine; there is a Hill of Grace an a Penfolds Bin 707. It is happening at a friend’s home and I’m not sure as to the quantity of stemware being put out. We may only have 30 minutes with it.

With that in mind is it worth decanting?

Had one about a year ago, I decanted it about 6 hours, honestly looked like it needed 6 days!

So young and tight, towering tannic structure…

This isn’t really what you’re asking, but it seems like a waste to drink that kind of great Barolo under circumstances where each person is just going to get a brief taste amid a crowded lineup of unrelated styles of trophy wines.

Many great wines show fairly well under those conditions, but I personally don’t think great nebbiolo wines do. If you’re going to serve it in the event, I’d think a long slow ox would be the best way to get it strutting its stuff.

What Chris said…