2009 Barolo

Anyone heard anything about the vintage?

I heard that it comes after 2008.

I’ve heard it’s an ‘open/approachable’ vintage, less structured with warmer supple fruit and probably not the best for long-term aging. Perhaps having some similarities to 2007, 2000 and 1997, but it’s always tough to make accurate vintage comparisons.

That’s all I needed to know!!

newhere

I heard that I am too old to consider buying any. (though that didn’t stop me in 2008 either).

There was another thread on this topic last week.

don’t you guys lock duplicate threads here?

[berserker.gif]

I do not think you are correct there. I need to tell you that it comes just before 2010 as well.

While it would be fair to say that the odd number vintages in the 2000’s after 2001 have all been on the warmer side (anyone following Burgundy vintages?), there are a number of unexpected successes in all of these vintages. I had the 2003 Mascarello Ca di Morissio a couple of weeks ago alongside an 08 Brovia Villero and there was just no comparison in terms of quality. Granted, the Ca di Morissio is a special parcel but the structure and balance was simply remarkable. If you’re buying Barolo/Barbaresco at that level, it’s all worth a look in vintages like this.

Having nothing to do with specific wines, I will say that I was in residence in both 2003 and 2009, and 2009 was only slightly cooler in Barbaresco than 2003. The non-Nebbiolo wines have been absolutely Parkeresque…