2010 DRC

Well I just spoke with one of ,y retailers who told me hid DRC allocation was cut severely. Has anyone heard anything ? How about release date or prices.

I’ve talked to a few people here who have told me they expect it to be severly down on '09…

Cut 40%.

Received same info…

Yep. Not much of any of the wines this year for us.

bump - anyone hearing anything else?

According to Johannes’ post above, production was down 26% in aggregate.

Larry

Fair enough. But 40%>26%

all burg allocations in 2010 have been a nightmare

production was down maybe a third, but in most cases allocations were cut easily over fifty percent

drc is particularly tough because they are allocating away from the restaurants and retailers who have carried them over the past couple of decades

Yes, all major NE markets cut according to my supplier. So I’m told the supply is getting shunted to Asia.

I heard of a well-known NYC retailer whose allocation was cut by two-thirds.

hopefully they will release some older wines from the cellars to compensate

At least in '10 there is some excuse for having allocations cut apart from obvious greed along the supply chain…

This is also what I have been told (reliable source). The Domaine has cut allocations where there’s been obvious greed, i.e. excessive margins, in an effort to sell wines to those who will drink the wines rather than sell them right away for a lot more money… at least this is what happens in France.

So the USA has been cut because of the practices of some retailers ? Why not just punish the retailers?

I know of a restaurant who has bought DRC for decades. One of the partners (whom I am friends with) told me that their allocation had been cut by 80% and whereas they used to get 1/2 case to a case of LT every year, they were only offered one bottle for 2010. Allocation was down by about 80% overall.

any more news? Allocations sucked this year.
alan

Bs. Wilson daniels selling direct…

heard that rumor. Can’t crack the list. Wonder if de Villaine would be upset if he knew.
alan

It isn’t a rumor. It’s a fact. They’re staging tastings in key markets, finding who the collectors are, and selling direct. They see the profits that others are getting, and want them for themselves. Of course they say, “we’re doing this to keep the prices FAIR”…
In increasing fashion, I find that the exclusive national importer relationships are fully abused, in the sense that they don’t actually distribute, they just keep all of the cherries for direct sales. Think Rosenthal selling direct in NYC with the vast majority of Barthod/Fourrier, Diageo selling 80% of their allocations in NYC of Roumier/Angerville etc. The growers know that it’s bullshit, but the checks get paid, there is history in their relationships, and the changeover to regional distributors involves an amount of bureaucratic work that they find daunting.
I think that things will change, however, eventually…