Stop me before I buy again!

The force is already strong, and recent threads on Baudry, Texier and multiple Burgundies have the buying urge gaining in strength.

Last resort is to turn to the enablers - but to enable restraint!

With the cellar jam packed and multiple cases recently sent off to offsite (and still about 4 more cases pending) it’s time to put the brakes on acquisition.

First goal is to get to June 1. After that it gets easier for a bit due to summer temps.

Oh please. I need more help then you do. The more you buy the less product left for me.

Help. Help.

No. No. No. I started this thread, so you buy first! [wink.gif]

I meant it just for humor and atmosphere, not politics, but I will happily redact.

You turned this political why?

[rofl.gif]

Good luck with that one.

Must be like the flu or something. Seems to be going around. With taxes due right around the corner no less.

A particular someone I know is buying Leroy lots and Dujac Chambertin like it’s going out of style! [wink.gif]

I too struggle badly with overbuying - David’s story above sounds just like my situation.

Honestly, the #1 thing I could do to cut down on it would be to stop reading this board, because my burning desire to keep exploring the world of wine is constantly stoked by reading about producers, wines, bargains and so forth on here.

The other main thing – deactivating my winebid.com account – I already did last fall, and that has helped some. The next thing I really need to do is to pare down the number of mailing lists, but I’ve been very weak when it comes to this so far.

So far I have passed on Rhys (that one hurt), Anthill (ditto) and Wind Gap (again…oof) in the last 45 days. I did buy Arnot-Roberts, but counted 3 out of 4 as a big victory.

Don’t people here have budgets? Or does everyone on WB have unlimited funds? [scratch.gif]

Another suggestion I read once is to give yourself a mandatory cooling-off period (I promise, no political humor this time). If you see a good price online for some new Baudry or whatever, before you click “buy,” force yourself to wait 24 or 48 hours.

Often, after the initial rush of excitement and discovery that drove you there in the first place, you’ll realize that you really don’t need another case of wine and/or to spend hundreds of more dollars. Occasionally, the wine will have sold through before you come back. Either way, you’ve avoided the purchase.

I remember when I’d bid on something on winebid, and then (only occasionally, unfortunately) I’d discover on Monday that I was outbid, I was more often relieved than disappointed. In essence, I’d had the fun of finding the wine and trying to buy it, without ending up spending the money and further overtaxing my storage.

Anyway, that’s just one suggestion I’ve received and tried, in case it is of any use to you or anyone else. I suspect most people don’t like to admit their excesses about buying and storage, since this is a real names board and people can tend to be protective of their image, but I imagine many who are reading this thread battle those issues.

I think most of us have budgets, but most of us are also good at ignoring them or finding ways to redirect funds from other budget areas over to wine. (If I purchase a few bottles of something at the grocery store, it should get classified as food and not as wine, right?)

Spending less time on this board does help me spend less on wine, but spending more on wine also helps me spend less on shoes. And having shoes you haven’t worn is more of a problem than wine you haven’t drunk, right?

Try buying a house and then getting pregnant. Trust me… you’ll stop buying wine!

Man, I don’t even buy new clothes anymore until the one set I’m wearing falls off as lint.

Yes, I play the budget justifying shell game as well. At some point economics does put an end to it though. I just assume everyone hits the economic brake before the desire for more wine abates. With the shoes, I suppose I am lucky in one sense that two passions don’t battle each other, but I let my wife’s purchase of shoes, et.al. justify more wine purchases, and she does the same in reverse. MAD I suppose…

i tried, but God didn’t put the right parts in my body [snort.gif]

The only effective limiting factor for me has been to refuse to go to offsite storage.

Yeah, the offsite storage irritates me. My goal over the next year is to reduce inventory to get it all back home.

I do have a budget. What I do not have is space or the capacity to consume everything I have been buying.

Have you figured out yet how to put the right part into her body? [shrug.gif]

Drink more beer!!

Buy less bottles but more expensive ones.

Just trying to help.