What Spanish whites have rocked you?

We have an offline comming up and we’ll need a decent amount of whites to pair with the tapas. What, for you, has risen above the worldly bounds of a basic Macon equivalent? I’ve tasted a lot of nice food friendly Spanish whites that haven’t inspired mutliple btl purchases. Prefer something fresh and not oxidative too. Anything from Spain reach the heights of Grand Cru white Burgundy / Chablis or even 1er?

Do Ferreiro Cepas Vellas Albarino, though the '09 was a little disappointing the 2010 was back on form. Haven’t tried tbe 2011

Craig,
I have become a fan of godello. France 44 has a 2010 Benaza Monterrei for $16 that has some pretty good reviews on CT (where it is compared to unoaked chard)

[thumbs-up.gif]

Fernando Remírez de Ganuza Rioja Erre Punto Blanco
Legaris Verdejo Rueda
R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia
Bodegas Muga Rioja Blanco
Bodegas Rafael Palacios Valdeorras As Sortes Val do Bibei
Federico Paternina Rioja Banda Dorada
Can Feixes Penedès Blanc Selecció
Soc. Coop. Vitivinícola Arousana SCG Albariño Rías Baixas Paco & Lola

I had a 1987 Lopez Heredia Viña Tondonia a few days ago at Craft in NYC that was out of this world. Fresh citrus acidity with no “oxidative” tones that is sometimes common in some aged rioja whites. Maybe it all comes down to the cellaring.

Not counting Sherry?

Do Ferreiro Albarino Cepas Vellas

Emilio Rojo Ribeiro - one of the most interesting wine I tasted last year

I haven’t had any I would say are equal to premiere cru or grand cru Burgundy but I like the Gran Vinum Albarino and the Licia Albarino.

Thanks Alan, nice to hear from you. Join us if you like. Its on the 7th at a new place Roncon.

Craig: Aren’t you glad I’m bringing the Do Ferreiro and sitting at your table (before you even posted this)? It’s not the Cepas Vellas (old vines), but 2011 was an excellent year in Rias Baixas, and Do Ferreiro is a top producer.

Agree with the Can Feixes recommendation. There’s a solid mineral core to that wine. A surprsing wine, although maybe just plain old food-friendly for Craig, is the Botani Moscatel Seco. Another is Ameztoi Txakoli, which I find to have a floral profile like some Alsatian wines.

Avanthia Godello. Seriously tasty.

Bodegas Raul Perez Sketch Albarino
only 1000 bottles each year!!!

Nun Vinya dels Taus DO Penedès

Good Hunting [cheers.gif]

Dick Schinkel

Thanks everyone. Very helpful!

2011 En Numeros Vermells Priorat Garnatxa Blanca, Grenache
11/3/2012 - I WROTE: 93 points
Brand new wine from Sylvia Puig from Odysseus in Gratallops, Priorat. Light golden color Honeysuckle and peach notes on the nose followed by orange rind, and citrus on the palate layered over a core of slate (llicorrella) mineral loveliness. Great balance and acidity with a medium weight and a very full mouthfeel. Long finish. If you love good white CDP you will absolutely love this wine.

Are the colors accurate in these pics? They look more like rosés or reds.

Hi Peter,

The colors are verry accurate !
The glass of the bottle is brown !
The wine is beautiful Pale straw in colour!

I am really interested to try an Emilio Rojo and the Remelluri white after hearing so many good things about them.

Godello or go home. This wine is awesome and nobody has had it.

Aforementioned Ferreiro Cepas Vellas, Ametzoi, and LdH Tondonia/Gravonia are great
The Benaza is very good QPR
If looking for a white Burg ringer I might try the As Sortes Godello