NOW AVAILABLE! Seven of Hearts - Bob Wood Memorial Barrel

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
zachary l a n g
GCC Member
GCC Member

NOW AVAILABLE! Seven of Hearts - Bob Wood Memorial Barrel

#1 Post by zachary l a n g » March 12th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Edited to include the link in Post #1 to make it easy!

http://www.sevenofheartswine.com/2013/0 ... -bob-wood/

My fellow Berserkers,

There have been a number of inquiries via PM to moderators as to establishing a fund to assist Bob Wood's family with the arrangements for his services. We are pleased to announce that a favorite Oregon wine maker, Byron Dooley of Seven of Hearts, has offered up his services. After contacting Byron and discussing with him a few strategies we think this is the one that makes the most sense, provides the best value for Berserkers as well as giving you something to open in Bob's honor when the wine ships in November (unless you make the party at Seven of Hearts in October!). Doug Ackerman will also be involved as will his grapes with the tie between Doug and Byron being introduced to one another by Bob years ago.

One of the reasons Bob loved Seven of Hearts as much as he did was Byron provided wine in the style he enjoyed as well as offering a fantastic value for the wine.

Byron has offered up the wine and his services at his cost with the additional proceeds going to the family to offset any costs they have. That cost is $15.00 per bottle and we think that a price of $35.00 to us is a good price point and allows for roughly $5,000.00 per barrel in contributions to the Wood family.

The wine is currently in barrel and will be going thru bottling in September or October and will be ready for pickup at Seven of Hearts (where Byron and his wife would like to have a party) and for shipping (at a cost that will be passed along to the buyer) in March 2014 (with the pickup party then also). Depending on the size of the group planning on being at the pickup, it will be at either the tasting room or the Armstrong vineyard.

We will have the web page at Seven of Hearts available for order taking on Saturday and will update everyone with that information.

We do know that this will be a select barrel from Armstrong Vineyard, Ribbon Ridge and the 2012 vintage, which is significant to Doug and Byron as it was Bob Wood who introduced the two men which produced the partnership they have today for grape growing and wine making. The clones are yet to be decided and Byron and Doug will update us when that is complete.

We thank Byron and Doug for their contributions and offers to provide all of us with an opportunity to share in Bob's love of wine while at the same time making a donation to his family.

P. Robert
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: RIP Bob Wood! A true Berserker!

#2 Post by P. Robert » March 12th, 2013, 5:30 pm

[welldone.gif]
Ph1l1p

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Eric LeVine » March 12th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Thank you Byron and Doug (and Zach)!!!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Poppy Davis » March 12th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:Thank you Byron and Doug (and Zach)!!!
+1

[welldone.gif]
Poppy Davis Fruchtman, formerly ITB

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Chuck Miller » March 12th, 2013, 5:35 pm

$35 for a shitty Oregon Pinot Noir? I'm in!
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mark C » March 12th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:$35 for a shitty Oregon Pinot Noir? I'm in!
+1
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

zachary l a n g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by zachary l a n g » March 12th, 2013, 5:41 pm

He didn't want credit, but tough luck for him. A big thanks goes out to Chris Freemott for getting this going

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#8 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 12th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I'd add that this is an effort primarily by Chris Freemott and Zach, so thank you guys for putting this together, as well as Byron and Doug!

Our hope is that we can do one barrel per year in a similar fashion, as a Bob Wood Memorial, and structure it similarly, so that funds continue to be donated to Bob's family, including the grandkids' college fund.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Phillip F r a n k s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Phillip F r a n k s » March 12th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Awesome! I'm in.
"DUSTOFF"
It's always better in Magnum

Peter C.

#10 Post by Peter C. » March 12th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Wasn't Squires a big part of making this happen, too? ;)
( z y ® y ( @

Andy Steinman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Andy Steinman » March 12th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Gentlemen:

What a perfect tribute. Thank you in advance for making this inspired idea happen. Count me in for a case.
ITB: Partner, Walter Scott Wines, Le Pigeon, Little Bird Bistro, Canard, and DigitalPour; Managing Director Metis NW

Megan wood

#12 Post by Megan wood » March 12th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Thank you all so very much. I am at a complete loss for words.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by AlexS » March 12th, 2013, 7:26 pm

zachary l a n g wrote:My fellow Berserkers,

There have been a number of inquiries via PM to moderators as to establishing a fund to assist Bob Wood's family with the arrangements for his services. We are pleased to announce that a favorite Oregon wine maker, Byron Dooley of Seven of Hearts, has offered up his services. After contacting Byron and discussing with him a few strategies we think this is the one that makes the most sense, provides the best value for Berserkers as well as giving you something to open in Bob's honor when the wine ships in November (unless you make the party at Seven of Hearts in October!). Doug Ackerman will also be involved as will his grapes with the tie between Doug and Byron being introduced to one another by Bob years ago.

One of the reasons Bob loved Seven of Hearts as much as he did was Byron provided wine in the style he enjoyed as well as offering a fantastic value for the wine.

Byron has offered up the wine and his services at his cost with the additional proceeds going to the family to offset any costs they have. That cost is $15.00 per bottle and we think that a price of $35.00 to us is a good price point and allows for roughly $5,000.00 per barrel in contributions to the Wood family.

The wine is currently in barrel and will be going thru bottling in September or October and will be ready for pickup at Seven of Hearts (where Byron and his wife would like to have a party) and for shipping (at a cost that will be passed along to the buyer) in March 2014 (with the pickup party then also). Depending on the size of the group planning on being at the pickup, it will be at either the tasting room or the Armstrong vineyard.

We will have the web page at Seven of Hearts available for order taking on Saturday and will update everyone with that information.

We do know that this will be a select barrel from Armstrong Vineyard, Ribbon Ridge and the 2012 vintage, which is significant to Doug and Byron as it was Bob Wood who introduced the two men which produced the partnership they have today for grape growing and wine making. The clones are yet to be decided and Byron and Doug will update us when that is complete.

We thank Byron and Doug for their contributions and offers to provide all of us with an opportunity to share in Bob's love of wine while at the same time making a donation to his family.
I'm so in.

Zach, Chris, Byron, Doug, and all others involved...you guys effing rock!!!
s t e w @ r t

Robert Pollard-Smith

#14 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » March 12th, 2013, 8:12 pm

In. This is a perfect tribute.

Will David Klinger handle the shipping?
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Linda Baehr » March 12th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'd add that this is an effort primarily by Chris Freemott and Zach, so thank you guys for putting this together, as well as Byron and Doug!

Our hope is that we can do one barrel per year in a similar fashion, as a Bob Wood Memorial, and structure it similarly, so that funds continue to be donated to Bob's family, including the grandkids' college fund.

You guys are awesome. This is why I love you all so. grouphug

Megan, I'm sure you don't remember me, but i was at Carrie and Randy's, and I met you briefly (you were so busy and helpful!). Yes, he did call me a bitch for stealing a lambsickle, but I knew he was just being him. We turned it into our "thing". Every time I would give him shit here, he would call me bitch. Then I would give him a

flirtysmile . He was always able to turn his gruffness around to a "hug" if he liked you. flirtysmile

[cry.gif]
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

Glenn L e v i n e

#16 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 13th, 2013, 5:46 am

You got to put Jay Cutler on the inaugural label.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Neal.Mollen » March 13th, 2013, 5:47 am

Russ Williams wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'd add that this is an effort primarily by Chris Freemott and Zach, so thank you guys for putting this together, as well as Byron and Doug!

WOW...awesome stuff guys!!! Count me in for some shitty Oregon Pinot. I actually do not have a bottle of Oregon Pinot in my cellar. Maybe this will be the impetus for me to explore a new region.
Me too. Not the open-minded part, but a worthy cause
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jay Carroll » March 13th, 2013, 6:03 am

This is a great way to remember Bob- I am in for the wine! I would love to see some special label- at least for the first release!!

Lots of ideas for the label- Cutler, the Beibs, Crocs, Cargo Shorts- I am sure there are a few others!!!
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

Byron Dooley

#19 Post by Byron Dooley » March 13th, 2013, 6:21 am

Jay Carroll wrote:This is a great way to remember Bob- I am in for the wine! I would love to see some special label- at least for the first release!!

Lots of ideas for the label- Cutler, the Beibs, Crocs, Cargo Shorts- I am sure there are a few others!!!
Oh, Yes, there will most definitely be a fitting and honorary name to the blend... Some others that have been bandied about: Duck Juice Blend, Curmudgeon Cuvée (Chris' idea)...

I believe Chris will lead the charge in a vote for the final name to be used...
Last edited by Byron Dooley on March 13th, 2013, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by L e o F r o k i c » March 13th, 2013, 6:24 am

Alex Stewart wrote:

I'm so in.

Zach, Chris, Byron, Doug, and all others involved...you guys effing rock!!!
Me too. I would like a large format that I can use for a Berserkerfest
"Hey Justin -- yer a fookin' dork!" Bob Wood
My wife is ITB

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#21 Post by Chris Freemott » March 13th, 2013, 6:24 am

Byron has a few ideas for the label as well - it will be a Seven of Hearts label with his new Special Reserve look and feel - we'll then amend the bottles with a second label to commemorate Woody. Byron has suggested something that deals with "Duck Juice", a play on Bob's food and wine blog and I'm sure that shortly we'll have other members, just like Jay Carroll did in the post above mine, suggest other names and ideas. I'd expect that to lead to a poll and then allow majority rule - unless of course the guy who is actually making the wine pulls rank (which is fair).

I offered up Curmudgeon Cuvée to Byron in an email to Byron yesterday.

Few notes from the winemaker as an adjustment to the initial post by Zach.

The release of the wine will be March of 2014 to coincide with Bob's passing and depending upon the number of individuals wishing to participate in a 'pick up party', the party will be at Byron's or at Armstrong Vineyards.

Sure seems to me March of 2014 should be a WB-fest/memorial bash in Oregon...

I'm thrilled to see the number of people willing to purchase the wine. I had faith that many of you would wish to honor the old man in such a way. Keep it up, we have at least 24 cases to sell and Byron has assured me that his site will be ready for sales on Saturday - he will then remit the overage funds to Megan at that time. So, while this has the feel of a 'future' understand we wish to make sure Megan and the family have funds available quickly for the items that they may need assistance paying while they family settles his estate.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by brigcampbell » March 13th, 2013, 6:36 am

Gotta have "shitty" on the label somewhere.

Byron Dooley

#23 Post by Byron Dooley » March 13th, 2013, 6:45 am

brigcampbell wrote:Gotta have "shitty" on the label somewhere.
That would have to be hand-written. No way it gets by TTB. But thank you for your confidence that the wine will be shitty.

MBerto

#24 Post by MBerto » March 13th, 2013, 7:37 am

I have a feeling this wine will have to be allocated. How do I get on the mailing list? Never tried 7oH but Bob guided me towards many other excellent OR PN.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by Chris Freemott » March 13th, 2013, 8:46 am

It's starting to sound like a barrel is not going to be enough.
Plans have been made for this potential concern. Don't let it be one. Byron is well ahead of you. We'd LOVE to sell more than one and more than one is available if necessary.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Michel Abood » March 13th, 2013, 8:48 am

Zach, Chris, that's some awesome work, I'd be in for a few bottles.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Steve Manzi » March 13th, 2013, 8:56 am

Peter Kleban wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote:
MBerto wrote:I have a feeling this wine will have to be allocated. How do I get on the mailing list? Never tried 7oH but Bob guided me towards many other excellent OR PN.
It's my understanding that the website will be up by Saturday, and they will post it here. Then, we can put in an order. But, I agree, it needs to be allocated in some manner.

If others in the NJ/NYC/CT area would like to go in on a case to divide up after delivery, I'd think that would be a good approach too. Just a thought that might help.
Good idea! I'd go for part of a case (maybe 3 bottles).
So far Peter, it is you, me and Baird. I'm sure others will chime in. If not, I'd do 4 or whatever is needed.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#28 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 13th, 2013, 9:00 am

I think OC orders can be routed to Legend Cellars, and check with other offsite cellars who can accept the shipments together, then divide up when the individuals come to collect their bottles.

I think a BerserkerFest in Oregon is a must next March.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Steve Manzi » March 13th, 2013, 9:00 am

This is getting pretty big and heart warming. I have a cool suggestion. Why not bottle it with NO label, and have our own labels printed saying whatever shitty stuff we want on it. There has to be a pretty easy way to come up with suggestions and then getting them designed and printed.

I know very little of the work and costs for doing it, but you'd have to do most of that for the bottles anyway. It would just take printing them on peal off and stick labels. Good idea? Or am I dreaming?

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Russ Williams » March 13th, 2013, 9:08 am

I'm pretty sure a winery cannot sell wine that is not labeled and a label that has been approved.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Poppy Davis » March 13th, 2013, 9:12 am

Steve Manzi wrote:This is getting pretty big and heart warming. I have a cool suggestion. Why not bottle it with NO label, and have our own labels printed saying whatever shitty stuff we want on it. There has to be a pretty easy way to come up with suggestions and then getting them designed and printed.

I know very little of the work and costs for doing it, but you'd have to do most of that for the bottles anyway. It would just take printing them on peal off and stick labels. Good idea? Or am I dreaming?
Legally, the winery can't sell wine without labels.
Poppy Davis Fruchtman, formerly ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#32 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 13th, 2013, 9:13 am

And BTW, a winery can't sell wine that is not labeled, with approved labels.

(who's next?)

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by David K o l i n » March 13th, 2013, 9:15 am

I've had a couple of wineries ship me wine without labels, but I wouldn't advocate this here, because a winery isn't supposed to sell wine that is not labeled, with approved labels.

This is pretty interesting, though, in cases like this, when consumers are purchasing wine without the benefit of seeing the labels (I presume the labeling laws are intended to protect thw consumer)

How about:

Last edited by David K o l i n on March 13th, 2013, 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

zachary l a n g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by zachary l a n g » March 13th, 2013, 9:16 am

I just wonder the legality of that neener

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Steve Manzi » March 13th, 2013, 9:19 am

[snort.gif] Anyone know if this is even legal? I already know it is a great idea, but not sure about the legal stuff.
Last edited by Steve Manzi on March 13th, 2013, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by George Hejna » March 13th, 2013, 9:19 am

I suppose you could put a very small generic label approved by the ATF and then add your own label on top after it is sold.

George

Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Frank Deis » March 13th, 2013, 9:22 am

Peter Kleban wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote:
MBerto wrote:I have a feeling this wine will have to be allocated. How do I get on the mailing list? Never tried 7oH but Bob guided me towards many other excellent OR PN.
It's my understanding that the website will be up by Saturday, and they will post it here. Then, we can put in an order. But, I agree, it needs to be allocated in some manner.

If others in the NJ/NYC/CT area would like to go in on a case to divide up after delivery, I'd think that would be a good approach too. Just a thought that might help.
Me too. Three sounds about right.

We could send checks to a designated "buyer" and then collect the bottles after they arrive somehow. Maybe an excuse for a little offline?
ITB = "I Teach Biochemistry"

Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Frank Deis » March 13th, 2013, 9:24 am

Steve Manzi wrote: So far Peter, it is you, me and Baird. I'm sure others will chime in. If not, I'd do 4 or whatever is needed.
Don't forget me. Three for all?
ITB = "I Teach Biochemistry"

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#39 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 13th, 2013, 9:31 am

Why would we want no label/small label and put our own on? We want a label that matches everybody else's, and that is a memorial to Bob!

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Thomas Keim » March 13th, 2013, 9:49 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:And BTW, a winery can't sell wine that is not labeled, with approved labels.

(who's next?)
You could very easily get all the government warranted info on one small back label, leaving the front blank for any label you would want to put on it -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Steve Saxon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Steve Saxon » March 13th, 2013, 9:51 am

Russ Williams wrote:I'm pretty sure a winery cannot sell wine that is not labeled and a label that has been approved.
Why don't we have this as a label, I think Bob would like that.
Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance.....Mark Squires

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Steve Manzi » March 13th, 2013, 9:51 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Why would we want no label/small label and put our own on? We want a label that matches everybody else's, and that is a memorial to Bob!

I was talking about a label that would be ONE label for all bottles. Just a thought, not something I am pushing for, but just throwing it out there because it would seem that what a lot of people might want on the label, would be illegal.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Steve Manzi » March 13th, 2013, 9:51 am

Steve Saxon wrote:
Russ Williams wrote:I'm pretty sure a winery cannot sell wine that is not labeled and a label that has been approved.
That's a really good idea! [welldone.gif]

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Jay Miller » March 13th, 2013, 10:00 am

Frank Deis wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote: So far Peter, it is you, me and Baird. I'm sure others will chime in. If not, I'd do 4 or whatever is needed.
Don't forget me. Three for all?
If you're still looking for people to go in a case in the NJ area I'd be up for 1-2 bottles. If you're full no worries.

Still surprised that I can feel this sad and miss someone that I never actually met.
Last edited by Jay Miller on March 13th, 2013, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by David K o l i n » March 13th, 2013, 10:00 am

Steve Saxon wrote:
Brilliant
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

Peter Baird
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Peter Baird » March 13th, 2013, 10:07 am

Frank Deis wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote: It's my understanding that the website will be up by Saturday, and they will post it here. Then, we can put in an order. But, I agree, it needs to be allocated in some manner.

Me too. Three sounds about right.

We could send checks to a designated "buyer" and then collect the bottles after they arrive somehow. Maybe an excuse for a little offline?
Yeah, we have a PM going on this, but somewhere on the train line in New England/NY/NJ would be great. Lots of good eats through there!
"For too long this country has suffered a great moral and oral decay, in spirit, and incisors." #Vermin2020

"Peter...your well-reasoned words were a waste of time." -Bob Wood

David Whitworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Seven of Hearts - Bob Wood Memorial Barrel Pinot Noir

#47 Post by David Whitworth » March 13th, 2013, 10:30 am

I'm in for some of the wine as well. I would also be in for a Berserkerfest in Oregon the weekend of the wine pickup. Thanks to everyone who is making this special bottling available to honor Bob's memory...well done! [cheers.gif]

Brent C l a y t o n

#48 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 13th, 2013, 10:30 am

I'm in for some with the NY/NJ/CT folks.
ITB Sales IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark Y » March 13th, 2013, 10:37 am

great idea.. subscribing to know more about order info.
Y.e.

Berry Crawford

#50 Post by Berry Crawford » March 13th, 2013, 10:39 am

Im in

Return to “Wine Talk”