NYTimes: Jersey The Next Napa???

That’s what some of those folks think:
NYTimes:JoiseyWines

Seems I’ve heard this story befor…but for Virginia/Idaho/NewMexico/Texas…

I like the comment:

…American Association of Wine Economists, a group that sometimes seems to exist to give economists a cover to drink lots of wine.

Tom

Or for California Pinot or Oregon Pinot being the next Burgundy. [stirthepothal.gif] Wait, wasn’t that you? neener [berserker.gif] [popcorn.gif]

I know Napa. I have been to Napa. Atco New Jersey, you are no Napa (though Atco Raceway Park is an awesome place to drag race your tricked out, B Body Mopar. Sunday, sunday, sunday!).

Yeah, if I had a nickel (ok, maybe a dollar) for each time someplace was declared the next Napa … I could buy a bottle of Napa Cab!

I think China has a Napa Valley too, or maybe they have a Bordeaux – can’t recall.

1 Like

It was me. Behave yourself.

They have to catch up to Long Island first.

1 Like

I live in Charlottesville, Va. There’s some pretty good wine to be had in the area.
Apparently, to some clever marketers this means we’re the “Napa of the East.”
Maybe in the sense that traffic gets bad on saturdays, but otherwise…

Why they gotta insult Jersey that way??!

Tom, too late I’ve been following them from the beginning!

Born to Rhone tasting

They should sell t shirts that say “Napa Valley, the New Jersey Outer Coastal Plains of the West”

That might need a bit of work . . .

When you have great cheesesteaks, hoagies, pizza and salt water taffy, why in the hell would you want WINE?

I don’t think the people who publish those stories have tasted much New Jersey wine. It’s. . . hmm . . .interesting.

There is a lot of bad wine, no question. But from my personal experience, some have shown it can be done and done well.

The issue will be avoiding becoming the next Temecula as the area matures.

We need Kevin Harvey to go in there and figure out what will work best.

Thos vnyd pics sure don’t look like the NapaVlly I’m familiar with, Brig.
Thanks for the link to your notes. The SilverDecoy Syrah sounds like something I should try.
I’ll see if my son (Secacus) can track down a btl for me.
Tom

Yeah, absolutely, the syrah is worth the effort. Hey, starting with Alban vines is a great move.

Winery is 5 minutes from Trenton and Princeton on the turnpike.

Surprising how expensive some of these wines are. $70+ for most of the wines in the Princeton tasting.

I think it is both. Here is a link to Tom’s rants: NYTimes: Asimov on 2010 RedBurgs - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers And he has such good taste when it comes to Ridge. Just a shame.

The Silver Decoy reds are $15 - $30. I’ve heard good reports about them from other people, but I haven’t tried any. May visit sometime, it’s close to here.

But it’s very true that there are other NJ wines that are poor to bad, I’ve tasted a few.

Awwwww, Howard…that’s hardly what I’d call a real rant. I can, and have, done better than that. [snort.gif]
Tom

[welldone.gif] neener