TN: Vilmart Rose NV Cuvee Rubis

No surprise, I love Vilmart. Maybe LOVE in caps is more appropriate.

Haven’t tried their Vintage Rose, but the NV was amazing and I have a mere one bottle left :frowning:

TN: Champagne Vilmart Rose NV Cuvee Rubis - February 2013, Rated A

A rich pink and orange color.

On the nose, immediate bread dough, followed by both rich minerals and rolling minerals with a little lime. A wonderful spicy chalky component.

Full of minerals and fruits: orange, pomegranate, and red apples and lemons/limes as it warms. Multiple layers of flavors. More red fruits emerge as it warms and breathes: cherries, plums. Massive and powerful, yet sweet, friendly, and inviting!

I was hungry and ended up cooking a steak mid bottle - the wine handled it fine

Posted from Champagne Poodle

Nice, this is always one of my favorites. I love how prominent that minerality is. It’s something I don’t often find in rose Champagne.

We served the 2004 version with a braised beef roast last weekend. It worked very well.

Love this, and the vintage is even better.

Great value, great drinking and always a crowd pleaser…

The vintage is better, and probably has more longevity, but for less than half the price or so, the NV is such a solid, awesome value. I think there’s less qualitative difference between the NV and vintage rose than the whites.

I an usually with you Adam, but the 2004 last week was miles better than any Rubis NV I have ever tasted.

Then I must get some.

I must get some too!

I just received some of this which were a pre-arrival offering from a well-regarded merchant and was a little surprised to see that they were disgorged in December 2013. Anyone know which vintages are in it? My best guess is 2010 and 2011, or maybe 2011 and 2012, which based on Terry Theise’s comments about the Rubis bottlings with 2011 components has me concerned (his catalog notes on the 7/13 and 10/14 disgorgements). Anyone with recent experience with any of these?

That’s weird. I’m no help on which disgorgement I tasted, but I tried one with 2011 base vintage on release and it was extremely disappointing.

2009 is delicious and available.

2011 has crippled many an NV Champagne.

I’ll probably open one tonight with some friends and see how it goes. I’m heartened by decent reviews from Galloni and Reynolds on bottlings that have included 2011 juice.

Mike,

You have a 2011 base with 2010 reserve wines. In the big picture, this isn’t the best mix, but Vilmart doesn’t follow the norm. I’m not going to say that it is a stellar Cuvee Rubis, but it is still a good showing and a darn fine wine. It has a bit more body than usual and a touch less cut, but still has aging potential and room to improve. In general, while some avoid 2011, if you waited to harvest and let the grapes get ripe, the year was better than 2010. The problem in 2011 was that many were afraid it was going to rain so they rushed to pick and then it didn’t rain. Vilmart made good 2011s and actually made a vintage Rubis in the year that is darn fine.

[winner.gif] Bank another fan here. From a few weeks ago:

“Jay’s bring–I have had a checkered like/meh relationship with Vilmart wines. Here, the bouquet is of strawberry coulee with some rhubarb and latent florals. But WOW—you sit up and take notice when this hits your tongue. super-tasty with incredible verve and length. A driving rootiness around pure expressive raspberry. This is great juice”

Coincidentally, we had one tonight. I’ll have to look at the disgorgement date later. Lucious wine, beautiful mouthfeel. Great accompaniment with dinner.

• 2009 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Grand Cellier Rubis - France, Champagne (2/14/2016)
    An absolutley beautiful wine and easily one of the best champagnes I have had in my brief five years of drinking such. Fine stream of bubbles, light tinge of rose color, tannin low, fruit subtle, just a perfect touch of sweetness, but not sweet. This is ready now and has balance. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Brad, thanks for the information. I didn’t get to it last night as four other people brought Champagne, but am looking forward to giving it a try.