What's a Rhone?

To me, “Rhones” are wines from the Rhone valley. Wines made in other places from Rhone varieties such as Syrah and Grenache are identifiable by grape and place where they’re grown.

Many times, I’ve clicked on a tasting note or post that mentions “Rhones” in the subject only to find that the post is about California Syrah… or even Aussie Shiraz. This seems to be a unique phenomenon in which a place name, the Rhone, has become synonymous with wines made with the same grape in other countries. I’ve never heard anyone refer to California Pinot as “Burg”.

So, I guess the question is this: are you a stickler for geographically-based wine terminology, or does it seem reasonable to call a Central Coast Grenache a Rhone?

In CA I refer to them as Rhone Rangers.

Is there Pinot in this? [shrug.gif]

Melissa - I am stickler for being geographically based. I.e., Champagne to me is only Sparkling wine from the Champagne region, otherwise I call it for what it is…A CA Sparkling Wine, a Loire based Sparkling Wine, CAVA, etc.

That being said, the term “rhone ranger” as Bill refers to has been used so much and has become synonymous with CA or US based wines using varietals most commonly associated with the “rhone” region of France. But I would never call a CA Grenache a Chateauneuf du Pape. I might say the wine closely resembled a CdP from CdP…but would never call it a CdP.

I usually use ‘Cal Rhone’ if I want to make a general statement. If tasting involves France and the New World then I would probably say Rhone Varietals. More often I refer to the specific variety if from California or other non-France area.

Rhone is not the only word used out of context when talking about wine from outside the region - Bordeaux is another. While someone might not say ‘I had this Bordeaux from CA last night’, they will add ‘blend’ to the mix, and that’s perfectly fine. I hear more people say ‘Rhone blend’ than just Rhone when referring to a CA wine that contains some of the many potential Rhone grapes.

I’m probably less of a stickler than I should be. Champagne gets co-opted all the time by family and friends. I usually try to tell them the difference, but I’m sure teh content falls on deaf ears. I think most wine geeks have come to accept “Rhone” as a generalization meaning grapes varieties from the Rhone Valley. Doesn’t make it right - or accurate, but we still do it. I also think naming orgs like Rhone Rangers and Hospice du Rhone probably doesn’t help guide people to choosing the right terms, either. So, I hereby resolve to watch my terminology.

You know, slight thread drift here, but maybe it’s things like this and the fact that Syrah is AKA Shiraz that keeps the New World versions from increasing their respective sales???

Also, Todd’s right about Cab blends. Most people, including wineries and winemakers will use the term “Bordeaux blend,” even though they tried like hell to get us to accept “Meritage.”

Rhone Ranger is widely used now and i believe is commonly understood to indicate a California wine made with Rhone varietals.

Concerning the term “Meritage”…don’t the wineries that want to use it for a “BDX Blend” have to pay for that name?

IIRC, they do. I’d have to do a little research, but I think they’ve registered that name as part of trade group association. I’m afraid all that really happened was the opportunity to mispronounce the word. Mare-i-tige vs. Mare-i-tage.

Yes, I am a stickler as you say.

A Rhone is from France. Period.

In the same vein, I hate when people refer to dessert wines as ‘stickies’. That si like fingernails on the blackboard to me. Stickies is an Australian word. While it doesn’t have to refer solely to an Aussie dessert wine, it really shouldn’t be used by a non-Aussie either. [beg.gif]

Its like Xerox and Pampers

That makes you a stickler for stickies!

I’m not a stickler on anything… While I wouldn’t label a single tasting note on a cali or aussie grenache as rhone, I’d have no problem using the label of “rhones” to cover a subset of wines that included both legit and non legit rhone valley wines…