Question - Why was 2007 so kind to Volnay?

As many consider 2007 as a rather fair/average vintage, I wonder why I’ve tasted so many fine Volnays from that year?
Was this region blessed for some reason?

TTT

I’ve also been amazed at how much better Volnay seems to have done that almost anywhere else in 2007. Though I haven’t tasted many other CdeB wines so for all I know it was generally a CdeB vintage.

Had a 2007 Nicolas Potel Volnay VV last night. Not giving much on opening, but after about an hour it had this gorgeous nose and wonderful red fruit and spice on the palate. On the light side of medium body and some tannin on the finish. Really enjoyed it and it’s previous 5 siblings. Kept thinking I should keep a bottle or two buried, but I didn’t.
Cheers!

Good to hear, recently snagged some 2007 D’Angerville Taillepieds at a great price.

This is a flat out great wine!
My favorite 2007 Volnay…

TTT

[cheers.gif]

Have you enjoyed one recently Paul? Was debating a test drive this weekend and was curious if it’s still accessible.

Good to hear. I managed to pick up a case for ca. $65/bt all in a while back which seemed like a screaming buy.

The last time I sampled one…

TTT

I don’t think this is solely isolated to Volnay, I think the reds have calmed down and drinking quite well.
Montille Beaune Greves is AMAZING for the money, and Drouhin Petit Monts was sublime. Both showed excellent vineyard character.

Thank you
I have none, so a-searching I shall go
I bought very few 07s but backfilling sounds like a great possibility

where?

Bump.
Nobody has given an answer to my question…

TTT

One more time.
How’s about an answer to my question?
Someone in the know must know, you know…

TTT

I have no idea why 2007 was so good in Volnay, but I agree that is the sweet spot in 2007. I like other 2007s, but Volnays from 2007 are awfully good.

I had one in November and was very impressed. That said, I’m not much of a Burgserker. Yet. Glad to have a few more.