TN: '01 Jamet Côte-Rôtie

• 2001 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (7/27/2009)
    Purchased off the list at Willi’s Wine Bar in Paris. Solid garnet. So layered. Roasted meat, fruity black olives, violets, black pepper, black cherry, red raspberry. Superb structure. Sweet fruit on the attack. Drying tannins in the middle, moderate acid, and a long finish that leaves me positively longing for the next sip. Kept itensifying… The last glass was better than the first, yet the first was delicious. We have one bottle at home, and it will not be easy to leave it alone even though it has a long life ahead. Perfectly skirts the line between primal and elegant. Fred Flintstone in an ascot.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice to see your note. We opened this last Saturday and your bottle was obviously more approachable wine…my note is buried on page 2 or 3 here. I concur that this wine has a long life ahead. I vowed not to try again for 6 or 7 years (min).
Redwinger

The sommelier at Willi’s decanted it, swirled it around a lot, and basically hid it for about fifteen minutes, so we never tasted it straight from the bottle. I hope we have the discipline to hold on to our lone bottle for 6-7 years or more too, because as much as we loved it last night, I think there will be a huge reward for patience with this one.

Sounds like a bottle of the '99 I had a year ago. It was such a lovely bottle!

The '01 Jamet is a classic and should be under Cote Rotie in the dictionary as it had everything a classic Cote Rotie should have. The '99 is great too but in my experience it is more opulent and rich than classic.

I wrote down a very similar sentiment (with more superlatives) after the last pour, but there were a few spelling mistakes [wink.gif]

Gotta love Jamet. I think the 2001 had really mixed reviews on release, good to see it’s developing well - never tried it even though I bought some of it since Jamet is a year-in year-out type of producer anyway.

Last night, after a tragically chode infected Barolo, we moved on to this ’01 Jamet. Fred Flintstone in an ascot is an apt metaphor. What a beautiful Cote Rotie. Very primal indeed, in a raw, bloody torn chunk of flesh sort of way. Beautifully framed though, with ballerina lines and grace.

I have not had so much as a cup of coffee yet this morning, and now I don’t want anything but Jamet. [cheers.gif]