Bottle condition - signs of seepage

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bottle condition - signs of seepage

#1 Post by JKim » February 23rd, 2013, 8:20 am

All of us worry about provenance, especially when buying older bottles from grey or auctions. Personally, I don't care about label conditions such as bin soiled labels, nicked or torn labels, importer stickers, etc and hope bottles are priced down or sell for less, although still worry about provenance. The one description that is a deal breaker for me is SOS, not worth the risk to me. Am I too risk averse about this issue? How much of a discount would it take for you to take a flyer on a bottle with SOS? What is your experience with seepage bottles? TIA.
Joe

Keith Levenberg

Re: Bottle condition - signs of seepage

#2 Post by Keith Levenberg » February 23rd, 2013, 8:27 am

There are a few producers who are notorious overfillers on the production line so I wouldn't be scared off by signs of seepage there.

dteng

#3 Post by dteng » February 23rd, 2013, 8:31 am

Call me chicken...but I never buy/bid on those bottles.
Dan

Fred C

#4 Post by Fred C » February 23rd, 2013, 8:33 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:There are a few producers who are notorious overfillers on the production line so I wouldn't be scared off by signs of seepage there.
Keith, which producers? SoS is also a deal breaker for me. Maybe I would a bit more tolerant if I knew which producers overfill.
Ch!3n

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 23rd, 2013, 8:39 am

Lots of older Sauternes seep and are still excellent wines.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Gary Rust

#6 Post by Gary Rust » February 23rd, 2013, 8:58 am

I've consumed a boatload of older bordeaux bottles (70s, 80s) that have seeped a bit -- crusty under the foil, crumbly fully stained cork, etc -- that have held terrific wine. Thirty-year old corks are a problem -- they allow some seepage, but the wine can remain fine. What I do avoid at all costs is buying or bidding on any bottles with "slightly protruding corks" -- suggesting heat damage at some point in the bottles life . . .

Andrew L.

#7 Post by Andrew L. » February 23rd, 2013, 10:14 am

While I never purposely bid on bottles with seepage, I have had some show up with such an issue. My experiences have generally been quite good. If the price is low, I would consider taking a chance on a bottle showing old signs of seepage, as long as the cork is not depressed, or protruding, and the ullage is looks good.
L I T T L E

Keith Levenberg

#8 Post by Keith Levenberg » February 23rd, 2013, 11:28 am

Fred C wrote:
Keith Levenberg wrote:There are a few producers who are notorious overfillers on the production line so I wouldn't be scared off by signs of seepage there.
Keith, which producers? SoS is also a deal breaker for me. Maybe I would a bit more tolerant if I knew which producers overfill.
Donnhoff and a lot of other Germans. Leroy. Raveneau, but the yellow wax can hide the seep if it doesn't crack.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#9 Post by c fu » February 23rd, 2013, 11:36 am

Fred C wrote:
Since I know you're a balla. Leroy is the worst. Pull a leroy cork after a 8-10 years of age and a good chance the cork is soaked.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Harold Fong

#10 Post by Harold Fong » February 23rd, 2013, 12:05 pm

Besides overfilling, are there any other benign reasons or conditions that could cause seepage? A few years back, I got a bunch of new release Bordeaux- one had a cork completely soaked to the top, cork was soft, there was wine residue and some mold on the top of the cork, but there was no cork protrusion. I immediately thought heat damage, but are there logical and benign reasons for such an occurrence?

Fred C

#11 Post by Fred C » February 23rd, 2013, 1:12 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
Since I know you're a balla. Leroy is the worst. Pull a leroy cork after a 8-10 years of age and a good chance the cork is soaked.
Does that pertain to Maison Leroy also? [wink.gif]
Ch!3n

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by JKim » February 23rd, 2013, 1:13 pm

Fred C wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:
Balla status revoked.
Joe

jbray23

#13 Post by jbray23 » February 23rd, 2013, 1:29 pm

[quote="Harold Fong"]Besides overfilling, are there any other benign reasons or conditions that could cause seepage? A few years back, I got a bunch of new release Bordeaux- one had a cork completely soaked to the top, cork was soft, there was wine residue and some mold on the top of the cork, but there was no cork protrusion. I immediately thought heat damage, but are there logical and benign reasons for such an occurrence?[/quote

Shipping, for some reason I have seen perfectly good bottles leak after being shipped across the country, mostly on mags though.....
Jason, back itb

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Chris Seiber » February 23rd, 2013, 3:01 pm

Keith Levenberg wrote:
Fred C wrote:
Donnhoff and a lot of other Germans. Leroy. Raveneau, but the yellow wax can hide the seep if it doesn't crack.
I had a 1990 Leroy Bonnes Mares this past week, the wax had all cracked off the top and there was visible seepage through the cork, presumably from their tendency to overfill. The wine was beautiful, no signs of any problems or advanced aging.

I am one who believes that wine is far hardier in general than most wine geeks believe, so I would probably be willing to roll the dice on some seepage bottles, but the problem was (on winebid at least) there rarely seemed like more than a slight discount for buying those bottles, so why take the chance. If the price were 1/3 lower or something, I could see it.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by JKim » February 23rd, 2013, 3:11 pm

Chris Seiber wrote: I had a 1990 Leroy Bonnes Mares this past week
Balla. I need to drink with you sometime.
Joe

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Nick Gangas » February 23rd, 2013, 3:16 pm

I believe Ponost also used to have an issue.

Josh Kurek
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Josh Kurek » February 23rd, 2013, 3:47 pm

Rieslings with seepage do not scare me (or other wines with residual sugar for that matter). The high sugar content often causes the corks to deteriorate and seep a bit I have had many stellar bottles that had some seepage.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Kris Patten » February 23rd, 2013, 4:03 pm

Josh Kurek wrote:Rieslings with seepage do not scare me (or other wines with residual sugar for that matter). The high sugar content often causes the corks to deteriorate and seep a bit I have had many stellar bottles that had some seepage.
I think it's the low pH, not the RS.
ITB

Daniel Mattisson

#19 Post by Daniel Mattisson » February 23rd, 2013, 5:26 pm

Stupid question here - but don't you need to cut off the foil to see signs of seepage? I haven't noticed seepage on some of my older bottles until I cut off the foil. Is there any harm in cutting off the foil?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Kris Patten » February 23rd, 2013, 5:32 pm

Daniel Mattisson wrote:Stupid question here - but don't you need to cut off the foil to see signs of seepage? I haven't noticed seepage on some of my older bottles until I cut off the foil. Is there any harm in cutting off the foil?
Other than aesthetics, no harm.
ITB

Gary Rust

#21 Post by Gary Rust » February 25th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Daniel Mattisson wrote:Stupid question here - but don't you need to cut off the foil to see signs of seepage? I haven't noticed seepage on some of my older bottles until I cut off the foil. Is there any harm in cutting off the foil?
Winebid claims to be able to discern seepage without removing foils, and I think if one really inspect the foils carefully the crusty, sticky wine residual is visible right at the bottom of the foil, and when this small seepage is exposed to air it tends to harden at the foil bottom. Of course if it's a really bad seeper the label will be soiled as well -- maybe heavily -- suggesting possible heat damage as well. Slight seepage on old bottles doesn't bother me much, nor does a slightly depressed cork, but no slightly protruding corks for me thanks . . . but that's just me.

Neal.Mollen

#22 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 25th, 2013, 1:47 pm

I have no position on the question posed in the OP, but it is funny to read so many willing to buy at auction, and willing to buy at auction even bottles with signs of seepage, and yet the "where has your wine been" chorus that chimes in every time PC is mentioned could wake the dead. I have no idea if these are the same people, but it amuses me how easily people accept the idea of buying bottles at auction that may have changed hands 10 times already.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#23 Post by c fu » February 25th, 2013, 2:23 pm

JKim wrote:
Fred C wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:
Balla status revoked.
definitely revoked. I thought all Kaiser doctors only drank grand cru domaine Leroy!?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Fred C

#24 Post by Fred C » February 25th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
JKim wrote:
Fred C wrote:
Balla status revoked.
definitely revoked. I thought all Kaiser doctors only drank grand cru domaine Leroy!?
Everyone knows HMOs are where the big bucks are!

Why do you think I'm asking Joe for a job?

Speaking of which...does Puligny count as a hyphenated Montrachet?
Ch!3n

Rick Dalia

#25 Post by Rick Dalia » February 25th, 2013, 4:57 pm

definitely revoked. I thought all Kaiser doctors only drank grand cru domaine Leroy!?[/quote]

In Marin county it's the plumbers that are drinking grand cru Leroy. Us second class Kaiser docs have to settle for 1er maison

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#26 Post by c fu » February 25th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Rick Dalia wrote:definitely revoked. I thought all Kaiser doctors only drank grand cru domaine Leroy!?
In Marin county it's the plumbers that are drinking grand cru Leroy. Us second class Kaiser docs have to settle for 1er maison[/quote]
beginning to think the one Kaiser doctor I know who only drink Domaine Leroy might be the exception, not the rule [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by JKim » February 25th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Charlie Fu wrote: beginning to think the one Kaiser doctor I know who only drink Domaine Leroy might be the exception, not the rule [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
Isn't he not married also? Couple more expenses with kids. Wait a minute...Chien's not married either! Go Domaine or go home Fred! ;)
Joe

Fred C

#28 Post by Fred C » February 25th, 2013, 5:35 pm

JKim wrote: Isn't he not married also? Couple more expenses with kids. Wait a minute...Chien's not married either! Go Domaine or go home Fred! ;)
Got too many vices to go Domaine. Going to have to wait for you and Fu to bring that to the offline...and not that SLB or SoS stuff either, the good stuff! [wink.gif] [snort.gif].
Ch!3n

Ben J.

#29 Post by Ben J. » August 2nd, 2013, 11:18 am

Gary Rust wrote: Winebid claims to be able to discern seepage without removing foils, and I think if one really inspect the foils carefully the crusty, sticky wine residual is visible right at the bottom of the foil, and when this small seepage is exposed to air it tends to harden at the foil bottom. Of course if it's a really bad seeper the label will be soiled as well -- maybe heavily -- suggesting possible heat damage as well. Slight seepage on old bottles doesn't bother me much, nor does a slightly depressed cork, but no slightly protruding corks for me thanks . . . but that's just me.
I just bought an '83 Poyferre, '83 St-Pierre, and '75 Brane-Cantenac from HDH, and the listings did say corroded capsule.. I should have known, and the lesson learned this time, is that frequently translates to SoS. All 3 have significant mold on the cork, smell of long-ago oxidized wine, if just *very slightly, and the capsules were fully stuck to the bottle indicating there was definitely moisture/seepage which eventually dried.

The Brane-Cantenac has a slightly soft (top of the) cork, though the other two seem to have solid corks. The levels for all 3 bottles are reasonable, very top shoulder for the '83's and the Brane is just slightly lower. So looks like no heat damage, but I'm holding my breath that at least one or two aren't ruined..
Johnson! ITB
CT: SoundInBetween

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » June 10th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Reviving this old thread as an appropriate place to seek advice on the following (asking for a friend...):

A handful of trophy wines, all magnums if that matters, are evidencing some seepage, which he says is unquestionably due to short-term (and relatively modest) heat exposure which occurred over no more than 72 hours. The ambient temperature in the cellar never got above 82 during that period, and the affected bottles had been well stored and in pristine shape up until then. The vast majority of his cellar shows no damage -- only a select few magnums suffered this. Presumably the damage is done, and we know this can't be assessed until each bottle is tasted, so his and my question is this: do these circumstances suggest he should rush to consume the bottles showing signs of seepage, or is it more the case that the passage of time poses no additional negative impact. Said another way, does this kind of heat damage risk compounding its impact in some way, even assuming bulletproof storage going forward of course. If the latter, he would then be able to drink these based on the usual factors, checking in on those lottery tickets from time to time without affecting his proverbial odds...

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Brian Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Brian Thorne » June 10th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I would drink them up sooner rather than later; I don't believe heat damaged wines "get better" or "recover" with additional cellaring.

J. Rock

#32 Post by J. Rock » June 10th, 2019, 1:35 pm

I just bought a 2004 Spatlese from a reputable wine shop this weekend and only noticed that the neck was a bit sticky once I got home. See the above comments about Rieslings seepage make me feel better (although, it wasn't an expensive bottle and if it's bad, the store will likely make it up to me).
J o r d a n

Ian Dorin

#33 Post by Ian Dorin » June 10th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Color matters the most. Great color will trump all.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Alan Rath » June 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Jonathan Grunzweig wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Reviving this old thread as an appropriate place to seek advice on the following (asking for a friend...):

A handful of trophy wines, all magnums if that matters, are evidencing some seepage, which he says is unquestionably due to short-term (and relatively modest) heat exposure which occurred over no more than 72 hours. The ambient temperature in the cellar never got above 82 during that period, and the affected bottles had been well stored and in pristine shape up until then. The vast majority of his cellar shows no damage -- only a select few magnums suffered this. Presumably the damage is done, and we know this can't be assessed until each bottle is tasted, so his and my question is this: do these circumstances suggest he should rush to consume the bottles showing signs of seepage, or is it more the case that the passage of time poses no additional negative impact. Said another way, does this kind of heat damage risk compounding its impact in some way, even assuming bulletproof storage going forward of course. If the latter, he would then be able to drink these based on the usual factors, checking in on those lottery tickets from time to time without affecting his proverbial odds...

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan
I have some bottles of 2010 Hudelot-Noellat burgs, which are notorious for being leakers. No idea why, I assume it was something gone wrong with the bottling line. I have a few bottles of Clos Vougeot from that year, all of them turned out to be seeping when I was doing locker inventory last year. I brought them home, cleaned them up, and figured the only thing I could do was open them soon, sadly. I drank the first one, and it was pristine, and still very youthful, no sign of any air ingress problem at all. So I put the remaining two back in my locker, but now standing up. I'm hopeful that they are actually sealed more tightly now than with just a good cork. All to say I'm not convinced your mags are necessarily compromised. BTW, it makes sense that they were the ones that had problems, since, with twice the liquid volume to expand in the bottle, they are more likely to exceed the bottle volume and push liquid out past the cork.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Eric Egan

#35 Post by Eric Egan » June 10th, 2019, 2:16 pm

I take a risk on SOS on occasion if the colour looks good. Have had some superb seepers in my day, including some of my best wine experiences of all time, including a 1961 Gruaud Larose and a 1943 Monfrotino. Both had mid-low shoulder levels but good, clear colour. Both were superb. Also had a lot of good Champagne with seepeage (even some half full bottles). It all depends on the colour.

Doesn't always work of course - have had some shockers as well - but if there's a decent discount (say less than a 1/3 of the price of a bottle in prime condition) and the colour's good, I'd say it's worth it (the Monforrtino, at £50 a few years ago, was a ridiculous bargain).

As to whether wines that seep 'recover' I can only say that I don't really know - I guess it depends on the wine. I suspect some of them do come back round again while others won't.
Composer and Lecturer | UK

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » June 10th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Thanks to all of you who are weighing in. To be clear: I would not worry about holding on for any recovery -- rather, I am querying whether one can expect the heat-affected wine to hold steady from here, even if undamaged despite the seepage, or if the seepage itself indicates an unsustainable environment for the wine, one that behooves the owner to cut his losses and pop some corks in order to avoid further deterioration of that wine.

Jonathan

R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N

#37 Post by R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N » June 11th, 2019, 5:35 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
February 23rd, 2013, 8:39 am
Lots of older Sauternes seep and are still excellent wines.
+1 . This is the only exception to the 'no signs of past seepage' rule for me on buying older bottles. Fill level would still need to be decent, i.e. some seepage, not lots.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by David Glasser » June 11th, 2019, 5:45 am

The question is whether the cork seal is intact after a heat-related episode of seepage, or if it is compromised. If intact, there is no added risk of continued long storage (assuming no more heat spikes). If compromised, excess oxygen exposure will lead to an early demise.

I’m not aware of any reliable way to tell by inspection if the seal has reformed. It could vary from bottle to bottle. I would store the bottles on their sides as an ongoing stress test, checking weekly for signs of additional seepage. I'd stand them up every 4 months looking for signs of increasing ullage. If I saw either, I’d plan on opening the bottle within the next few months.

Markus S

#39 Post by Markus S » June 11th, 2019, 6:03 am

I think it depends. I recently found a JJ Prum 2001 spatlese in my cellar that had a gooey capsule, and found signs of seepage, but when I opened it the color was youthful and the bottle was stellar. I think I would worry more about low-fill (as in below shoulder) than seepage, since seepage can be caused by overfilling or other matters. Generally though, if I was buying, I would probably avoid.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Return to “Wine Talk”