Need help choosing between a couple of wines for a B Day..

I am having a birthday dinner next month and have my eyes on a few wines. Here is what I have so far…

'90 beaucastel
'83 Lynch Bages
'95 Musar

Now I need one more… it seems to come down to these two:

'89 Beychevelle
'89 Meyney

Or any other nicely aged under $100 wine…

Need help from you guys who have had either of these wines or can recommend something special within my budget.

Thanks!

89 beychevelle is a nice wine if you can find a well stored bottle. For another $50-80 you can get LLC which is excellent and just starting to drink nice.

In November I had the 90 beaucastel - It was wonderful and drank well within 15-20 minutes of opening it.

I have heard really good things about 89 Meyney recently.

I have had the Meyney recently and it is just lovely.

Thanks guys!

Had both the Beychevelle and Meyney recently. The Beychevelle’s slightly more elegant and polished right now, the Meyney’s very good and drinking great but seems slightly more rustic. Can’t go wrong with either IMO.

I think that the 83 Lynch would be at its peak at this point. I was very pleased with how the '83s were showing when I tasted a bunch of them last year

The 95 Musar is fantastic if you get a good bottle. If the circumstances permit, it’s a great wine to follow over many hours – I’m not sure there is any wine that transforms as much after opening as Musar. Follow an open bottle over a half a day, and it’s like you got to try three different great wines.

+1. I slightly preferred the Beychevelle.

Just as expected, and this is normal here, no consensus. Looks like you’ll be having all wines in your list. [cheers.gif]

I had it late last year and would agree that it’s a nice and lovely wine, but don’t think it’s particularly special or impressive. It’s a nice wine, but not amazingly complex. It reminds me a bit of 89 Leoville Barton as far as flavor profile, intensity, and complexity goes. It’s a nice wine, but if you’re celebrating a birthday and want something with a lot of pop, perhaps stick with something else. I’d wager on the Beychevelle over the Meyney.