TN: Williams Selyem Zinfandel Russian River Valley 1992

This was one of my favorite wines in a long time. The color was a nice ruby red, quite bright and clear with no bricking. Bright, crisp, briary red berry fruit just explodes from the glass, then a blast of baking spices and black pepper, followed by a long, clear, juicy finish.

This was just pure joy, with fruit at the perfect ripeness, no heaviness or obtrusive oak, no heat, and terrific balance of fruit, complexity and balancing acids. You couldn’t help but have a giant grin on your face after each sip.

The wine showed no sign of being on the decline, and it held up perfectly for 2-3 hours after being opened. I did have one other bottle of 92 W-S zin about two years ago (though I think it was a vineyard designated one, and I don’t remember anymore which one), and that one was passable but seemed tired and mostly faded.

On one hand, the conventional wisdom would attribute this wine’s longevity and excellent balance to the skill and the generally-ageworthy style of Williams Selyem. On the other hand, this was an appellation Zinfandel with 15.6% alcohol listed on the label, which will coast to age 30 and maybe much longer (at least this particular bottle would have, I don’t know what the batting average would be on these though).

Anyway, I don’t get around to writing many tasting notes, but I thought this one was both great and an interesting wine perspective we don’t get as much on here, as compared to the more typical looks at aged Barolos, Burgs, cabs and so forth.

One of the reasons that I admire W-S is that they remain steadfast in their love for great Zinfandel. Their current Zin offerings are small and on the pricey side, but all from exemplary historic vineyards. Bob Cabral seems to give the variety the care and respect it deserves.

Great note! I recently popped a much younger 09’ Papera and loved it as well. $50 for a zin is spendy, but not really a gamble from W-S as far as I’m concerned. Hartford charges as much and is more hit or miss IMO.

I think the WS Zins are totally underrated. That being said I wish their Papera was priced closer to the Carlisle version than $52. With tax and shipping this pushes the envelope on Zin pricing (setting aside Turley Hayne).

Tom

I just received an offer today for a $95 Zin from Vineyard 29 (Aida Vineyard). I think the world’s most expensive Zin is probably Martinelli “Jackass Hill”, which is extremely low production and virtually unobtainable. That said, $52 is pushing the envelope, but W-S Zins are very, very good. Compared with other premium vineyard designated wines from other grapes, the W-S Zins are well priced, IMO.

Great salivating notes Chris and similar to my experience with this wine. The other 92` Zin you refer to was Mendocino. Burt did not make much from of it, but this one was good, but not as good as the RRV which again was from Martinelli but not indicated on the label.

I see Burt later today and will try to remember to ask the specific source for the Mendocino which I have forgotten.