TN: 2001 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino

Pretty good wine but not too exciting. Cherry and funk on the nose. More cherry, spices and red fruit on the palate. Medium bodied with a slightly hollow midpalate. This is drinking pretty well so I’ll probably go through my remaining btls in the next 2/3 years. [bye.gif]

This wine is sleeping, it’s a BdM not a Cali Cab. Try saving a few of the bottles for 5-7 years and you’ll have a totally different opinion.

I realize it’s not a cali cab but I’m not quite as optimistic as you with regards to its future. Let’s hope you’re right and I’m wrong as I have 10 more btls of this stashed away… [wink.gif]

I’ve got some Argiano BdM in the cellar but I have never tasted one as young as 2001.

I have to agree, give it a little while.

2001 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (4/3/2021)
– decanted 45 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 4 hours –

NOSE: aged Nose: a bit muddled/earthy; muddled cherry; somewhat “dirty” at first; hint of mint; cleared-up with air, showing more clearly-delineated aromas.

BODY: blood red color of medium-deep depth with bricking throughout. {forgot to note weight — by memory, medium to medium-full}

TASTE: tannic; oaky; medium acidity; coffee grounds; leans pretty dark – Cabernet Sauvignon-esque; it’s better with steak; light tar; light spearmint/mineral combo — similar to Pauillac; best after an hour or two of air; gut impression score: 91. Drink Now and over the near term: I don’t see this getting any better, and it’s likely on its downslope already.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = (90 pts.)