Olek Bondonio Barbaresco & Nebbiolo 2008

Olek Bondonio- A small organic producer from Barbaresco making small amounts of wine from some pretty impressive vineyards including Roncagliette ( Gaja declassifies this vineyard into Sori Tildin & Costa Russi ). This year sees the launch of their first Cru bottling of 2009 Roncagliette. I eagerly await its arrival.

Olek Bondonio Barbaresco 2008- I’ve had three bottles now and all pretty consistent. I’ve sent half a dozen off to Australia for long cellaring and I will be interested to see how the style goes over the medium to long term. It’s plush and ripe fruited. Very pleasant mix of dark violets, dark berries and rose petals, with spicy wood notes in the mix. The palate is similar to the nose, very frontal, prior to broadening in the mid-palate with an initial austerity- filling out with sweet dark fruits when well aerated- and completing with a flood of grippy tannins. Very approachable and easy going Barbaresco.

92pts+

Olek Bondonio Langhe Nebbiolo 2008- Airy and dancy strawberry and smokey blackberry like notes. This wine appears simple at first but after a day or so of opening it is very impressive as it builds fruit depth filling out its structural definition. Not dissimilar to the Barbaresco on the palate where it’s round and ripe on the front palate, lending toward a more broader and florally spectrum as the fruit is carried along a good length.

I’ve drunk a case and another coming!

90pts+

I see the check arrived for the review that I solicited!! HAHA! Thanks, Jamie - it’s always nice to hear when someone likes Olek’s juice. And I must say, the '09s are great with a little more fruit and depth, especially the Roncagliette.

So… if you look really closely at the label on the nebbiolo, do you see any “naughty bits”??? I hate to even bring it up for fear that someone from TTB might be reading these boards!!

I am a huge fan of these wines, too. They are utterly terrific for the $.

Disclaimer - I sell them.

[quote=“Jamie Pettigrew”]Olek Bondonio- … Very pleasant mix of dark violets, dark berries and rose petals, with spicy wood notes in the mix…"

Jamie - I’m curious about something: when you try the wine, does a particular “style” jump out at you? I ask because I’ve had folks taste it say “oh, wow… clearly a more modern producer…” when I can’t imagine anyone more traditional… long skin contact, no fining/filtering, only uses big slovenian botte… Clearly there is a perception of some oak, but it doesn’t come from the barrels.

Thanks!

George

I wouldn’t say I felt the style modern at all. Perhaps it is the 08 vintage, but Olek’s wines showed a ripeness that some could confuse as a plush and modern style. I don’t know. The wood was discernible even in the nebbiolo. That’s not a criticism as it is supportive in structure and adds some complexity. I guess the barrels new. The nebbiolo is magnificent after two or three days of being opened. On the first day it doesn’t shine beyond being a very friendly and gluggable Italian- household SOP is to now have a small glass on day one and then drink the bottle over the next two to three days. It has been my household quaffer for the month and a case is gone but thankfully, another coming.

Thanks for the tip off on beserkers. Very happy with the wines and I emailed Olek to say so. He promptly replied and offered a tour of the winery which I hope to take up mid-year.