Thoughts...Spring 2011 AHF Release

Got the email today…4 different Ant Hill Farm Pinots from Sonoma Coast (Sonoma Coast, Tina Marie, Peters, Ampbell Ranch) to be released next Monday. Anyone taste these? I am a consistent AHF buyer. I know some prefer AV over Sonoma bottlings. And it’s been a tough month…Rivers Marie, Berserker Day, Kutch, etc. Looking for whatever thoughts people have before I jump in. Thanks in advance.

What sets Anthill Farms apart as one of the elite CA producers is the Anderson Valley/Mendocino wines, IMO. Although I’m not really a fan of Sonoma Coast or Russian River pinot in general, I still have to say AHF’s Sonoma wines are as good as Sonoma gets, again IMO. So I’m in for a few bots. In recent years, these are the only Sonoma pinots I have bought.

BTW, from the email, it seems that allocations are not guaranteed for a certain time period, but are “first come, first served.” So folks wanting to wait a few weeks for a new credit card cycle might have some (probably minor) risk of disappointment.

I am in the camp that prefers the AV wines from Anthill, but still buy/enjoy some of the Sonoma wines. Of this group, the Tina Marie is probably my favorite (though I have little experience with the Campbell).

I’ve always liked Tina Marie and Peters, less so the Campbell Ranch. I’ll probably buy some of those two, after going long last year on AF pinots and chards.

I’m actually sipping a 2010 Sonoma Coast syrah right now. Pretty good, and I know some on here will appreciate how savory of a style it is (lean, with lots of herb, leather, mineral and funk), but it’s not a particularly joyous experience. Just one more data point for me on how syrah is less and less my thing with each passing year (but that’s of course just about me and my personal preferences, no slight intended to syrah or to those who love it).

Slightly disappointed in the new shipping flat rate structure. As someone who typically buys 2-4 bottles from several mailing lists, it is hard to swallow $30 shipping for that small of order.

I recently had a Peters vineyard that I did not love. Anthill and Papapietro Perry both make wines from Peters and Campbell Ranch (not surprising since David Low is part of both). I think some of the Sonoma vineyards are just better suited to the fuller style of Papapietro. Anyone up for a Papapietro/Anthill horizontal?

+1

Also, I prefer the Anderson Valley wines. With no Syrah, or any other varietal, I may pass on this release completely, but am concerned about what that does to my allocation on the fall release.

Where have all the other one-offs gone to? I liked the Forchini Pinot Gris, and am kicking myself for missing out on the Dry Creek Cab.

I appreciate the feedback. As I indicated, in general I am an AHF fan, but dormer the AV wines over the Sonoma Coast. Tina Marie has been very enjoyable some vintages, but a bit ‘flat’ others. Will likely buy some.

I’m down ill provide the Papa. Do you live I sonoma county?

I liked this as well and wish I had bought more.

AGree that the shipping approach probably won’t work for me… quite likely to skip, but i guess we’ll see.

Had a bottle of the 2008 Comptche Ridge last night that was outstanding, I will pop one of the Sonoma bottlings tonight while watching the Grammy’s to see if it delivers comparable pleasure.

What’s wrong with the shipping prices? You can’t ship 6 bottles that cheaply if you pay actual cost.
Actually, I generally get annoyed when shipping is subsidized or even free, because I honestly don’t feel like paying for anyone but myself. Disclosure: I sometimes sound like a libertarian, but I’m not that radical.

Live. In for a mixed case. A little hesitant about the vintage, but have always enjoyed AF pinots.

Im in for a bottle of each. Im never disappointed in the wines and great hard working guys behind it all. I usually get more of the AV wines and with so many mailers this month my limit has been reached on non AV Pinot.

After having tasted several AHF Pinots side by side with Knez, I was actually much more impressed with Knez, especially their Cerise Vineyard Pinot-struck me as much more evolved and sublime than AHF while delivering excellent concentration.