The ten best Champagnes?

Writing something on the ten best Champagnes (obviously some opinion here) and thought I’d ask the board for its thoughts and collective knowledge.

Only considering consistently great wines with a track record of decades.
My preliminary list . . . in no particular order

1. Dom Perignon - I include the Rose too
  2. Cristal - ditto on the Rose
  3. Salon
  4. Krug - All of them!
  5. Winston Churchill
  6. Grand Siecle (and the Rose I’ve tried but once)
  7. Bollinger La Grande Annee
  8. Deutz Cuvee William Deutz
  9. Philipponnat Clos de Goisse
    10 Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame - maybe, because I though the 93 was very marginal. And the 95 didn’t do much for me either
  10. Jacques Selosse - controversial?

I know, there are 11!

I don’t see how you can include wines like the Deutz, Grand Siecle, and Philipponnat without including other houses top wines like Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon or Pierre Péters Champagne Les Chetillons. I think it’s really hard to narrow it down to 10 if you haven’t tasted multiple vintages from multiple producers…it seems like this could constantly be up for argument…

no Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee? I haven’t had all of those, so I don’t know what I’d oust. I do struggle to think that Selosse wouldn’t be in the top 10. I’ve never had any of his vintage wines, but the NV level is pretty ridiculous for me.

Good list, but I would personally find a spot for Taittinger Comtes de Champagne.

+1

Here’s my top 1 list of Champagne:

1. Salon

Without considering more of the great grower wines, this is just a shill for the big negotiants.

There is a reason there are close to zero grower wines on the list - although I drink WAY more than my fair share. Few have a long enough track record.

Now note that I’m as big a fan as anyone of grower juice, and am currently looking at three bottles and considering opening one!

Doug, you may or may not know that I’m a rabid Vilmart fan!
And although Vilmart has been around for a long time, its a different wine since Laurent Champs took over in 1991 (not that I tasted older ones).

The Vilmart offline 12 months ago was one of my favorite offlines of all times!

So I didn’t include Vilmart because of lack of track record.

Couldn’t agree more. The OP list of qualifications is basically “what are the big house tete de cuvée?”

Not the most interesting thread really.

Show me some grower wines with a track record? There are few. Again, I drink primarily grower wines these days, and have a good two dozen producers in the cellar I haven’t even tried yet - and I know I’ll love a great many of them.

But many of the big houses tete de cuvées are phenomenal and to say otherwise is ignorant, even accounting for personal taste

Salon and Krug, big houses? :slight_smile:

10 best Champagnes, or 10 best houses???

Doesn’t really make sense with the list you have.

Dom and Dom Rose (Cristal also) are completely different things, as are the Krugs…

So the Deutz gets on the list for its manifest track record for mediocrity?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Krug, Salon, Bollinger GA, Pol Roger SWC, Taittinger CdC and Clos de Goisses, but DP is probably the most overrated wine in the history of mankind. Unless that title is held by Cristal.

Of course you are right Paul, but trying to keep it simple.

And I’m not listing all of Moet and Chandon for example, just saying Dom Perignon (with a tip of the hat to the Rose too) for example

Right. You lay out the track record in the first post. Only the big houses have that track record. I’m not saying or implying that the tete de cuvée aren’t good, just that your request makes little sense. You defined the terms in such a way as to have a very selective list.

Andrew, certainly I agree, and any list has to have parameters.
Some Growers do have a track record (e.g. Selosse, Pierre Peters), and certainly Salon in not a big house, but you are absolutely right and I appreciate the input!

David, I’ve greatly enjoyed all the vintages of the Cuvee William Deutz I’ve had - although they haven’t gone way back.

As for DP and Cristal, I vehemently disagree! Now stylistically I consider them more similar than different. Maybe you just do not like the style? Or maybe the hype (and there is certainly plenty) and the fact that IMHO most are drank way too young.

Ruinart?

I’ve had 15 or so different vintages of Dom from bottles and mags, young and old. It does not hold a candle to Krug, Salon, Pol Roger SWC and any number of the top grower wines IMO.

Fair enough. I usually prefer those to DP as well, but will add that find the 66, 90, and 96 DP to be captivating!

As for Ruinart, love it (I actually dreamed of Ruinart about a month ago).

Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon (only had it once but was impressed), Pierre Péters Champagne Les Chetillons, and Taittinger Comtes de Champagne are deserve consideration for sure.

Thanks for all the input everyone!