Williams Selyem Spring Release

Anyone get a chance to taste these in barrel or after bottling?

The Spring 2013 Release will include:

•2011 Central Coast Pinot Noir
•2011 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
•2011 Olivet Lane Vineyard Pinot Noir
•2011 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
•2011 Sonoma County Pinot Noir
•2011 Terra De Promissio Vineyard Pinot Noir
•2011 Westside Road Neighbors Vineyard Pinot Noir
•2011 Heintz Vineyard Chardonnay
•2011 Olivet Lane Vineyard Chardonnay
•2011 Unoaked Chardonnay
•2011 Papera Vineyard Zinfandel
•2011 Vista Verde Vineyard Late Harvest Gewurztraminer

Dale, it should be mentioned this is the early guaranteed release for those on the advanced list with the general release forthcoming on February 11.

I too am interested in anyone`s experience with these although I will order all of the Pinots with maybe the exception of the CC and Sonoma County.

I’m a known value hound (some might say cheapskate) so I usually avoid wines priced like W-S. I also think Bob Cabral does really fine work with Zinfandel and Pinot. I’ll be in.

Haven’t had the current releases but trust WS to produce some very tasty wines. I will order some of the Pinot and maybe the late harvest Gewurztraminer and unoaked Chardonnay but undoubtedly will fall short of ordering my full allocation due to budget considerations. I just submitted an order for Kutch wines.

I am in that position of liking their wines a great deal, but having not liked my few years on their mailing list. The prices were too high, the allocations too small, the choosing was too difficult, there has been some inconsistency with the wines, the prices of the same wines at auction were far less . . . it just didn’t work out for me.

They’re good pinots, though, and I’m usually quite happy when I drink one. I did accumulate a couple dozen bottles during my stint on the list, and they’re starting to get into their drinking window now or soon.

I’m with Chris’ comments above. The auction prices clinched it for me. I do still buy a few, but not many as in years past.

Was able to taste out of barrel their new Pinot addition Terra De Promissio at last Falls pickup event at the winery. To say the least, I was unimpressed. Very green and flabby, lacking that acidic structure I would have assumed given the extremely cool 2011 vintage. Def pass on that one.

I’ll be passing for the third consecutive time, which I expect will get me dropped from the list. meh.

I have had some stunning W/S wines over the years. The multitude of offerings and price does make it tough on me to take full allocations.

Timmy, Im in your court 100%. I have a large allocation and buy usually all of the Pinots and have stopped going further for the Chardonnays, Zins and dessert wine. Contrary to some of the above posts, I find the Pinots to be superb to very good, vintage after vintage. I do not buy based upon auction results; I buy to drink what pleases. Yes, these are not what Burt did through 97, but I`m in on the PN every since and happy.

+1. I’ve been on this list for 5 or so years. Had a few “bad” ones early on…my fault opening them too early. Just pulled in a bunch of '05’s from offsite, and they have all been killer. While I’ve reloaded on auction for some long since past vintages, I usually open up the checkbook, to the best of my ability, for the WS offering.

dup

dup

I will be keeping my vertical of westside road neighbors going. The wifey likes the unoaked chardonnay but the price is a little steep so I may just get her some more bubbles which are my favorite style of chardonnay anyways.

I’ll definitely be in, probably not for all the bottlings, but definitely for a specific few. Have a real soft spot for W-S.

Didn’t Williams-Selyem have an open house and tasting a few days ago?
Whether they did or not, has anyone tasted the 2011 Williams-Selyem wines since this thread was started?
I am particularly interested in the Sonoma Coast, RRV, Olivet Lane, and the new Terre de Promiso pinots.

Also, any general comments on the 2011 vintage, and whether, between RRV and the Sonoma coast, there were quality differences or problems in terms of grapes reaching adequate phenolic ripeness??

It is difficult since we get hit with all the mailing list offerings at once, and there are no reviews of the 2011 CA pinots to give those of us who cannot visit to taste a hint.

Robert, I share your sentiments regarding the unknown factors from vintage to vintage and so many offerings coming at once. As much as I`d like to know the answers to your questions for more input, I end up having to trust the winery/ winemaker more than a barrel sample or early on taste of a wine soon after bottling or even the details of the vintage itself.

I`ve not been disappointed with WS for any vintage and therefore blindly trust year after year. I have that same confidence in a few others locally like Au Bon Climat, Jaffurs, Palmina and Foxen.

Having said this, it would be nice to hear from someone who has had exposure to the 11` from WS, so I join you in your request even though I have already placed a significant order in the advanced release offering.

How do you attain guaranteed allocation status? I’ve ordered W-S for 6 releases so far, and visited the “winery” once (since they don’t make the wine there), but I still have to wait with the schmucks for the general release. I’m guessing it is because my orders are generally small (3-6 btls), like my wine budget? If I took my full allocation on one release, it would likely represent every dollar I spend on mailing list wines in a year.

Dusty, you have a good question, one I can`t answer, but I would think someone from the winery could. Certainly, longevity has something to do with this.

Ive been on the list since the 80s and have a long track record of buying a lot, year in and year out. OTOH, I do not always take all of my allocation and rarely buy other than Pinot Noir although offered the Chardonnays, Zins and dessert wines.

Got my allocation (or lack thereof) this morning. Many of the wines I would be interested in, and have bought in years past, are not available to me. May have to pass altogether and wait for the offering of the SVD’s in the fall.

tom