Decent wines under $15, under $10?

I know this has been discussed but the threads are kinda old and search terms a bit generic.

Two requests:
1 - my wife wants some sub $15 for her friends who says they don’t like drinking something expensive every time they come over and feel bad… any ideas? reds only, drinking early not a problem (don’t need ones that can age)

2 - Any good sub $10 ones? drinkable… or good for cooking/braising oxtail etc?

Any suggestions, links to websites, or CT would be great!

Thanks!

Just drank this…

Apothic red.

Dump that shit in the drain and pour something good into the apathic red bottle. Serve it.

The recent vintages of Tres Picos have been very nice for the money.

Short answer is yes. They are unremarkable wines, but they are perfectly acceptable for weekday meals, cooking, and general enjoyment. One that I liked for its value was Quinta de Bon-Ventos, Lisboa, Portugal (any vintage really). My local retailer has it for $6 (easily found elsewhere for $10).

If I need something in that price range as a weekday drinker, I typically go for a Spanish Garnacha such as the Tres Picos or San Alenjandro Las Rocas. These are around $10-$13 and are rather enjoyable. I believe the vintages I’ve had range from 07-09.

I haven’t looked lately, but Sportoletti Assisi Rosso used to be ~$15 and was a decent everyday wine for that price. Even better and in the same range (or even a few $ less if you look around) is Fattoria di Magliano ‘Heba’ Morellino di Scansano. Ian D’Agata wrote a very nice review on the current release, the '10. Haven’t had the '10 yet myself, but I sure enjoyed a truck load of the '07.

Mark - I see you’re in the Seattle area. Check out the Met Market Red - $9/bottle by the case. I’m through 3/4 of the case I bought before Thanksgiving… I think I need to go back. Great value. I am often disappointed by any WA wines in that price range (usually too much fake oak / vanilla flavor / too sweet) It’s a mix of pretty much everything, but it works. The white on the other hand… not so much.

Petroio Chianti Classico, $12.

Exactly. I’ve had some of the Las Rocas VV for $14 (with a case discount) that was actually damn good for the price, though it can have high vintage and bottle variation, so it’s worth cracking a bottle from a local source first before loading up.

In good vintages, there are also lots of very inexpensive ($10-$20), pleasant Bordeaux that drink well young (you may have to shop around to get these wines for these prices):
Fougas Maldoror (2004 $10/750ml)
Villars (2009, $13)
Beaulieu Comtes de Tastes (2005, $13)
Bernadotte
Les Grands Marechaux (2003 $12, 2005 $14)
Tour St. Bonnet (2005 $11, needs 5 years to show well)
Marsau (2003, $12)
Fleur Morange Mathilde (2005 $14)
Lanessan (2009 $17, needs 5-10 years to show well though the 2009 is showing sexy right now)
Fonbel (2005 $17, needs 5 years to show well)

Each vintage of this I have had would fit what you are looking for very well. It is real wine made in medium to small lots too.

cristalino cava

How about $5ish per ‘bottle’? I’ve purchased this occasionally when on vacation, easily found in most big wine shops and also grocery stores with large wine sections. Really not bad, the PG and Chard are good when cool/cold, and the Merlot and Syrah and CS are all basic and drinkable. 4 bottle equivalent for maybe $20-$25.

Overall, I’ve had much better luck with cheap whites than cheap reds.

At Trader Joe’s, I like the Sauvignon Blancs from Kono and Sauvignon Republic (Marlborough & S. Africa).

TJ’s also usually has a Bojo for less than $10.

Alan

Domaine de Pajot Cotes de Gascogne Les Quatre Cepages – a biodynamically grown white wine routinely available for under $10, and even in Washington.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/pajot+quatre+cepages/1/usa-wa?Xlist_format=&Xbottle_size=all&Xprice_set=CUR&Xprice_min=&Xprice_max=

Agree with Alan on the preference for cheap white over red in terms of quality. I posted on this topic several months ago, and some of these reds could fit your bill.

L’Ameilaud Cotes du Rhone Cairanne - $12 and very tasty.

• 2010 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (12/27/2012)
    Wow, what a joy to drink! Beautiful fruit, ripe but weightless, framed by the tobacco and dark herbaceousness on the nose. A mineral finish adds complexity and verve comes from just enough tannins. Has to be the best <$15 wine I’ve ever had. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Jadot Beaujolais-Villages, around $10.

The regular Jadot Bojo is good as well.

Guigal CdR is always a good bet and still often under $15. Vidal Fleury CdR is a very nice old-school choice that may be under $10.

Louis Latour Grand Ardeche Chardonnay.