Copain Membership Program

Actual mail from Copain today (on excellent stationary) explaining the new Copain Membership Program. Seems a bit better than the the club v. “friend” v. whatever from the past year or so. Highlights seem to be:

• As a legacy customer: 12 single vineyard bottles a year keep you in the “Single Vineyard” level
  • Two releases per year instead of four
  • Member pricing of 15% off for all wines
  • Complementary shipping on orders of three bottles or more
  • Complementary tastings for you and five guests per visit
  • A member concierge to assist with visits to the wine country

Only funkyness: Have to select at least 12 bottles right now (well, by Feb 12) to be guaranteed bottles and are charged at time of release. 2010 Kisers included in the current release at $70 ($59.50 member) for the En Bas and $75 ($63.75 member) for the En Haut.

Seems a bit reasonable to me, although still a little different. Thoughts?

Updated to reflect 2010 Kisers instead of my original 2011. 2009 on the Syrahs, 2011 on the two PN and two CH. Should all be online as mentioned later in the thread.

I talked to Hollie about it on the phone a couple days ago. Didn’t go through all the options but opted for the 2 case/year SVD plan which is approximately what I’d buy from Copain in the old mailing list model, except adding in the discounts is great. I’m much happier with this than the 3-case (?) previous club which was just too much SVD for me.

Ironically the club scheme probably results in me buying less Copain, because I used to buy SVD as they were offered (which was probably more than twice per year) and fill out cases with Tous Ensemble or Les Voisins to get free shipping. The new model probably has me buying less or none of the appellation wines. I mentioned to Wells that this would probably be a side-effect of the club, but I get the impression this involves having X committed buyers for upcoming vintages is seen as more valuable to potential investors than previous vintage sales numbers.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the 2009 Kiser Graffeux (sp?). How about 2010 vintages of Kiser?

It’s actually the 2010 Kisers in the Spring release. At the pickup party last year I was told the Greffieux wouldn’t be released till Spring or Summer.

I haven’t seen the mailer yet, but from the sound of this, I prefer it. I don’t like the advance ordering, but I dislike it less than the current system, and I definitely buy a case a year of the SV stuff. I was probably about to drop out of the club either way, so this is a welcome and timely change for me.

I like it better this way too Doug. I never joined the club, but was still getting the discount for some reason, I always purchased at least a case a year. I also love that the free shipping has gone down from a case to 3 bottles.

They lost me during the installation of their wine club system and some related communications challenges. I would have stayed on at the time if there had been a 1 case / year program, but at this point, I’ve kind of moved on and I might just pop back here and there to order a few bottles (obviously at full fare).

They’re a nice producer, and I certainly wish them well. Maybe I’ll check back in someday and see what kind of plan they could have for me.

While chatting with Ezra, I asked about the En Bas-Greffieux Kiser. He said that Wells mentioned that it is “not ready.” So, we wait. I don’t recall how much could be offered…nor the timing…

Cheers,
JP

Cooain is a producer I’d buy more of but the prices are way too high. Give me a $35 Bachelet Bourgogne or $25-30 Barthod Bon Batons instead…actually, 2 to 3 of each, given $70 Cali Pinot.

I bought at least two cases a year for several years but did not want to join the club. As a result, I stopped getting offers of SVDs (and even the blends, for that matter). While I liked the wines and would have continued to buy, they lost me totally. Too much good wine out there to bother with programs like this that blow off long time buyers for some new business model.

I’m in. I got the mailer and for me, it’s just a reworking of something I already was doing. Filling out the order now, for the entire year, then taking it in 2 shipments is fine. This, along with Carlisle, are my Top 2 purchases in volume each year and that will continue in 2013. Here, again no shipping, 15% off. Above all of it, I believe in what the winery is doing, the fanaticism for pushing the direction to find site, expression and balance.

On the Greffieux Kiser mags, I think later 2013 dudes. And, from what I hear, the 2009 syrahs are going to be special. I have intentions to visit and retaste them myself before they get released–hope to make that work so I can add some perspective on those to the discussion.

This was an easy decision for me. I believe in what Copain is doing. I continue to believe that Copain is one of the most relentlessly innovative operations I’m aware of. I’ve known/followed Wells for sometime and I see him as a driven perfectionist - in the winery, in the vineyard … and with his customers.

Concerning the Membership Program, I love seeing a full year of offerings in January, it helps me plan and prioritize. Copain customer service is as good as I’ve seen.

Given the quality of the product, the membership discount, free shipping … I wish all of my wine decisions were this easy!

I may “rejoin” with this new model. I just logged in and was pleased to see that I am still in the system.

So Frank, are the '09 syrahs what will be rolled out this year if I rejoin?

The Syrah club releases for 2013 are the ones that have TNs posted on the Copain website under the Single Vineyard Wines tab - '09 Hawks Butte, Halcon, Baker Ranch and Brosseau.

Frank - if you head up for a tasting gimme a yell, would be fun to connect. I hope that Hollie will be pouring some of these at IPOB in SF on Feb 4.

I’m with Robert. I ducked out for a bit; two cases a year is just too much. One case a year, though, is 3 of each of the syrahs, which is perfect for me.

Michael

Thanks again Aaron for this information, and Frank, for the CT notes on the '09 syrahs. I just rejoined this morning. Allowing me a single mixed case option for the SVDs is perfect for my consumption, meaning, I get 3 bottles of 2 SVDs every six months. I love this winery but the prior membership was too cumbersome for me. Well done, Copain.

Is this Club open to new members? I have two friends that are interested?

Robert, send an email to Ezra. He will know. ezra@copainwines.com

Do they require you to join the club or be dropped altogether? Seems like Copain is joining the growing number of Cali producers who think just a bit too highly of themselves.

Uppity of California producers to think highly of themselves! Who do they think they are - French? [wink.gif]

Awesome.
Yes, turns out they really are “Burgundian!”

Do they even have wine clubs in France anyway, or is that a uniquely American marketing strategy?