Best Online Discounter?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
MBerto

Best Online Discounter?

#1 Post by MBerto » January 24th, 2013, 6:42 am

I'm looked to buy 3-4 mixed cases of moderately priced wine for daily drinkers. Ideally I'd like a retailer which will offer 1) case discounts 2) free shipping and 3) a decent international selection (priorities are in order). I'd use wine-searcher, but I want to consolidate this purchase. Thanks.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Best Online Discounter?

#2 Post by PaulMills » January 24th, 2013, 3:22 pm

B-21 in FL and Apex Beverage in NC are good and may work for you.

Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Dustin Buchko » January 24th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Case discounts and free shipping at one shop? I've never seen it, most price leading retailers (Winex, PC, JJ Buckley) offer prices that have a built in discount. If you find someone offering a case discount chances are their prices are at least 10% higher than the discount retailers. Some retailers do offer shipping at a flat rate of like $9.99 per case (BP Wine, Hi Time, etc.) or free shipping on specific wines (Wine Library). If you find a retailer offering a case discount and free shipping I am guessing their prices will put them into the same (or more) all in order total as the ones who do not offer it. Considering that I would look more at selection than trying to find someone offering case discounts and free shipping. Just my two cents.

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Chuck Miller » January 24th, 2013, 3:56 pm

As Dustin says, good luck finding both. And for low to moderately priced bottles, if you have to pay shipping, it may not be worth it. Buy from a local retailer with a case discount, pay the damn sales tax, and you'll probably break even compared to a place that has to ship.
Chuck Miller

Otto Dobre
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Otto Dobre » January 24th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:As Dustin says, good luck finding both. And for low to moderately priced bottles, if you have to pay shipping, it may not be worth it. Buy from a local retailer with a case discount, pay the damn sales tax, and you'll probably break even compared to a place that has to ship.
+1 Support a local retailer [cheers.gif]

Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Doug Lee » January 24th, 2013, 6:25 pm

What Chuck said.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#7 Post by Robert M yers » January 24th, 2013, 7:50 pm

B21 has free shipping if you order on the 21st every month
Gary's and wine library have specific wines they offer with free shipping.
Zachys runs free shipping deals periodically by region

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Randy Bowman » January 24th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Shipping will always be the price killer. It would cost me between $35 and $40 a case to ship to you, if I can find somebody who would/could ship to MN. Free shipping won't be on a QPR in the $20 to $30 range, but I might consider it on the Petrus. You'll need a store one or two states away to reduce shipping costs.

Safeway here in CA offers 10% off on the purchase of 6 bottles if you are Safeway club member. They also have delivery service for club members. My niece hasn't been to a grocery store in 10 years.

Costco, Pier 1 Imports, Trader Joe's and a number of other stores stock QPR wines, as long as you know which ones they are.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Poppy Davis » January 24th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Just go to Haskell's and call it a day. You've got a great wine shop in your backyard.
Poppy D@vis Frucht m@n, formerly ITB

MBerto

#10 Post by MBerto » January 25th, 2013, 7:30 am

Some of the Haskells have good selection but whenever I price check them against online sources they're usually not competitive (Sorry Lonny).
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Thomas Keim » January 25th, 2013, 7:46 am

The Twin Cities is not the wine shopping mecca of the world - lots of terrific high end shops - but very FEW discounters - the ones that do discount stick to grocery store labels - to the high end stores, a 50% markup is considered a sale price -

So either you go to Surdyks bi-yearly sale which usually has decent prices - or you are stuck with having to stroll through a half dozen stores to find what you want -

The West Coast has the best array of discount wine stores that actually have a nice inventory of under $15 wines - I would look at Wine Exchange first - killer selection of affordable Italian, Southern French and Spanish wines - with no better pricing found anywhere - Hi Times is also very good with a terrific selection -

Spend some time on the Winex website Matt - I have always been in complete awe of what they do, and the deals they have - When Winex's regular prices are $5 - $7 less than the local retailers before shipping - it's still worth it to go with Winex or Hi Times and have your wine shipped -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Thomas Keim » January 25th, 2013, 7:50 am

And when you do look at Winex's site - check out the 2009 Petite Chateaux from Bordeaux - some of the best bargains in the world right now - $10-$15 still gets you a lot of wine if you shop right and Winex loves Cheap bordeaux and spend a lot ot time searching out the bargains -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#13 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » January 25th, 2013, 7:56 am

Chuck Miller wrote:As Dustin says, good luck finding both. And for low to moderately priced bottles, if you have to pay shipping, it may not be worth it. Buy from a local retailer with a case discount, pay the damn sales tax, and you'll probably break even compared to a place that has to ship.
+1

Hunter Fuzzell

#14 Post by Hunter Fuzzell » January 25th, 2013, 8:33 am

I love Grapes Wine Co

Art Rose
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Art Rose » January 25th, 2013, 8:38 am

B-21 ships free on orders taken on the 21st of the month. too late this month.

Veronica Castro
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Veronica Castro » January 25th, 2013, 9:02 am

Thanks for the kind mentions. We try, but Wine Exchange is the place to beat. They run a terrific operation.
itb
hi-time wine cellars

Scot H.

#17 Post by Scot H. » January 25th, 2013, 10:21 am

MBerto wrote:I'm looked to buy 3-4 mixed cases of moderately priced wine for daily drinkers. Ideally I'd like a retailer which will offer 1) case discounts 2) free shipping and 3) a decent international selection (priorities are in order). I'd use wine-searcher, but I want to consolidate this purchase. Thanks.
If you are just looking for daily drinkers and don't need to buy it all at once, why not try one of the flash/daily deals sites? Just sign-up for their daily email.

wineaccess.com and/or lastbottlewines.com
@$$elm@n

Mike DiSalvo

#18 Post by Mike DiSalvo » January 25th, 2013, 11:11 am

Wine Shopper is worth a look, but they only offer a few highlighted wines at a time and shipping is i.e. on orders over $99.
M!ke Di$alvo

PaulM

#19 Post by PaulM » January 25th, 2013, 11:58 am

+1 for Apex. Very good guys and competitive prices. Also Winex - they were my playground gateway pusher 20 years ago, and they're still excellent.
M a r q u a r d t

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by adam landa » January 25th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Another recommendation for lastbottlewines.com. With several options each week (and often each day) just keep an eye out and pull the trigger. A case order should almost always qualify for free shipping. Their customer service is great and very responsive should you run into a bad batch.

KatrinaBI

#21 Post by KatrinaBI » January 25th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Sec Wines in Portland. There is no sales tax charged for out of staters -- this alone pretty much covers shipping costs (to CA at least). In addition, there is a case discount. Oh, and the prices are really reasonable to begin with (unlike wine exchange and some others).

The selection isn't as large as some other on-line stores, but it's an extremely well chosen bunch of wines. And Eric is great to work with.

Katrina

Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Dustin Buchko » January 25th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Sorry Katrina I don't follow regarding Wine Exchange. They have always been one of the low price leaders as long as I have been buying wine.

KatrinaBI

#23 Post by KatrinaBI » January 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Hi Dustin

The difference I perceive may be a function of the particular wines I buy. My latest online purchases have been Huet 2007 petillant and Lopez de heredia Tondonia Reserva 2001.

Price at Sec Wines:

Huet 25.15 a bottle
Lopez 35.89 a bottle.

No sales tax and a 5% case discount gives you a total for a case (6 of each) before shipping, of $347.93

At Wine Exchange:

Huet 28.99 a bottle
Lopez 39.99 a bottle.

Plus sales tax gives you a case price of $413.88, before shipping.

Sec wines shipping is slightly less than Wine exchange to my zip code but just call it a wash for the heck of it.

That's a savings of $66 roughly on this case at Sec wines.

Maybe buying other wines gives different results, but this is my experience.
Katrina

Jim V a n P e l t

#24 Post by Jim V a n P e l t » January 25th, 2013, 9:42 pm

If I were buying 3-4 cases of stuff, I would look at Wine Library. Good prices and an excellent user interface for hunting and pecking. Prices, with no sales tax plus shipping will be at or less than Haskell's day-to-day prices, and you can shop in the comfort of your own home with backup research tools at hand. Winex is also good, but a little more cumbersome to navigate their site. Locally, I would check out Hennepin Lake (great prices and selection....bring a checkbook, as they don't take plastic). Another favorite on the St. Paul side of town is Solo Vino on Selby Ave. A small shop but quite eclectic selection. Ask for Chuck, go there midday, and allocate an hour. It's a learning experience every time I go in there.

Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Dustin Buchko » January 25th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Hello Katrina, that is significant savings in that example. I just took a quick look at Sec and found some counter examples...

2009 Chevillon Roncieres $77.89 at Sec, $69.99 at Winex.
2009 Chevillon Chaigots $77.89 at Sec, $69.99 at Winex.
2005 Dunn Howell $93.55 at Sec, $79.99 at Winex.
2010 Faury St. Joseph $32.40 at Sec, $28.99 at Winex.

No sales tax on out of state orders isn't that big of incentive IMO because I can just as easily say I would pickup from my local retailer for no charge. Sales tax and shipping are almost interchangeable unless the wines you are buying are really expensive (in that case you might choose air shipping which would bump the cost closer to sales tax).

I just thought the example of Wine Exchange was odd when there are retailers out there with quite a bit higher markups such as Zachy's, Wally's, K&L (although I love them), etc. IMO the huge selection coupled with low prices at Winex are hard to beat.

Jim V a n P e l t

#26 Post by Jim V a n P e l t » January 25th, 2013, 10:07 pm

KatrinaBI wrote:Hi Dustin

The difference I perceive may be a function of the particular wines I buy. My latest online purchases have been Huet 2007 petillant and Lopez de heredia Tondonia Reserva 2001.

At Wine Exchange:
Huet 28.99 a bottle
Lopez 39.99 a bottle.

Plus sales tax gives you a case price of $413.88, before shipping.

Katrina
Probably right on the first point, with the caveat that I've never purchased from Sec. Examples I looked at (and these were the first three, and the only three I looked at) included Gosset Excellence Champagne ($29.99 Winex, $31.15 Sec), 2004 Lasalle Bdb ($54.99 Winex, $68.40 Sec), 2010 Lemelson Pinot Thea's ($23.99 Winex, $25.15 Sec). I've found that Winex, in general, is on the lower end of pricing. Sometimes the lowest...not always.....but pretty consistently value-priced. Looks like Sec is in the same general space. I think that one could probably look at both, see which has the broader selection in an individuals area of interest (Sec has a really interesting Piedmont inventory), and feel comfortable going from there.

Winex, like Sec, does not charge sales tax, at least as it relates to shipments to MN, the OP's home state.

Cheers,
JVP

KatrinaBI

#27 Post by KatrinaBI » January 25th, 2013, 10:48 pm

[
Last edited by KatrinaBI on January 25th, 2013, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatrinaBI

#28 Post by KatrinaBI » January 25th, 2013, 10:53 pm

I think that one could probably look at both, see which has the broader selection in an individuals area of interest (Sec has a really interesting Piedmont inventory), and feel comfortable going from there.
Yes, I agree with this. I used to shop winex quite a bit when I was stocking up on Riesling, but have lately switched to Sec Wines and, again, for the wines I buy, they seem to be cheaper.

I did forget that the OP wouldn't have sales tax added for MN....

Anyway, I didn't mean to pick on winex particularly, or even at all ...and agree that there are other vendors whose mark ups are consistently higher.

happy bargain hunting all, where-ever those bargains may lurk.....
Katrina

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John Glas » January 26th, 2013, 7:01 am

What is your price point and what regions are you interested in?

Of course you can't ship to Minnesota this time a year unless you want iced wine.

I did see Hennepin Lake mentioned which has good prices on a daily basis and more of a New World focus. Bring your cash as no credit cards. Surdyk's on sale as mentioned has some interesting wines you will not see else where. Haskell's has just focused on name brands over the last two years and offer very few interesting wines on sale anymore.

Thomas K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Thomas K. » January 26th, 2013, 1:20 pm

T. K r @ m 3 r

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Glas » January 26th, 2013, 4:26 pm

The best shop in the twin cities has not been mentioned. I just bought the following today and I can't find a better price online if you want to factor in shipping:

2006 Vitanza Brunello $22.50
2005 Von Hovel Estate Spatlese Riesling $15
2009 Beaux Freres Willamette $31
2005 Baumard Clos de Sainte Catherine $32
2009 Ramey Sonoma Chardonnay $22
2009 Ridge Estate Merlot $29.99
2005 Torbreck Les Amis (Not an everyday drinker) but at $85 can't go wrong

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Michae1 P0wers » January 26th, 2013, 5:17 pm

If you are looking for particular wines, I have found some drinkers with free shipping and competitively low pricing lately at Empire wine. They always have one at buy 4/ships free and about thirty(ish) with free shipping on a case. Some decent stuff.

Also, Wine Legend has some solid deals with free shipping, though they seem to have less lately than they used to with the shipping offer. Typically it is buy 6 gets free shipping when they do offer this.

M. Linzbach
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by M. Linzbach » January 27th, 2013, 7:20 am

John Glas wrote:The best shop in the twin cities has not been mentioned. I just bought the following today and I can't find a better price online if you want to factor in shipping:

2006 Vitanza Brunello $22.50
2005 Von Hovel Estate Spatlese Riesling $15
2009 Beaux Freres Willamette $31
2005 Baumard Clos de Sainte Catherine $32
2009 Ramey Sonoma Chardonnay $22
2009 Ridge Estate Merlot $29.99
2005 Torbreck Les Amis (Not an everyday drinker) but at $85 can't go wrong
Well John, spill the beans. Who is it?

BTW The Cellars Wine and Spirits is having their twice a year progressive sale going on through the 31st. I always pick up some Ridge and Copain during this event. At least the store I frequent (Plymouth) doesn't carry the Ramey so I don't think you are hinting at The Cellars.
--Matt

Salesman to wife -- It folds up to a fraction of its size.
Me to salesman -- 11/10ths is a fraction and I still don't want it in my basement.
Wife to me -- Death stare. She wins the argument, salesman makes his commission.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by John Glas » January 27th, 2013, 11:43 am

M. Not hinting at the Cellars as I have not bought 5 bottles of wine in my life from them. I have never found any percent off they offer to be a good deal on wine. Now if there were 40 days in January maybe I would buy from them.

Winestreets had the sale.

Return to “Wine Talk”