Anderson Valley recs?

I’m planning on heading up into Anderson Valley in late April. I’m probably going to hit the Drew tasting room and maybe Roederer. Does anyone have a recommendation for another spot that would be good for a drop in tasting? I’m trying to avoid appointments because we’ll be coming up 1 from the coast and I don’t want to be rushed. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Breggo is great, GoldenEye is beautiful place to stop (I think the wines are over priced and the place is a bit “snobby”)

Nice call Michel, thanks. Breggo looks like something worth checking out.

Navarro and Husch

Handley. I’m in the Rhys camp and I have really enjoyed their blends.

Navarro – great, honest wines at very modest prices. The late harvest whites can be really top flight. But their simple red blend and their unoaked chardonnays are terrific and great values. The oaked chardonnays and the pinots are good too. And you can’t find a friendlier tasting room.

What John Morris said:
Navarro. Any trip to Anderson Valley requires a stop in at Navarro. With only a few exceptions you can’t buy the wines outside of the winery or in some restaurants. Well priced, well made and enjoyable people.

I like Esterlina too if you have lots of time.

Among others mentioned here, Navarro and Handley are both great visits. I’d recommend an appointment at Roederer.

JD

As with others I like Navarro, Handley, Breggo and Roederer.

Don’t forget about Toulouse and Jim Ball. Small places (like most in the AV!) run by super friendly people. Great pinot gris at Toulouse, and when we were at Jim Ball two years ago, they were pouring stellar pinots. Tasting fees are negligible, as you probably know. Not even sure Jim Ball had one.

This.

If you like bubbly, Scharffenberger (now owned by Roederer, and close by) is a nice visit.

As for Navarro, they’ve got a mixed case for $169 with 1 cent shipping. Seems like even those not driving through can check out their wines at a pretty nice price. I’ve never tried any and may bite, but waiting to see what Berserker Day holds first.

http://www.navarrowine.com/shop/productdetail.php?prodid=1098

Jim Ball is no longer in business, the place is now owned by Roederer and they are starting a Pinot program with that winery. They aren’t open yet.

Phillips Hill will be in their new location by April, just west of Greenwood Ridge. Baxter should be open very soon in downtown Philo.

Oh, no! I’m sorry to hear that. Thanks for the clarification.

Good to hear that Baxter is opening a tasting room - I liked the wines quite a bit when I tasted them at last June’s Pinot Days event in SF. Wow, “downtown” Philo! [wink.gif]

I need to get back to Anderson Valley again soon, been too long since I’ve tasted there.

Toulouse- Vern is a lot of fun and a talented winemaker. Fun visit and no appt needed.
Elke- Mary Elke makes some very good pinot’s. My dad and I set up a visit with her and they took a lot of time with us
Navarro- As others have said, you cannot miss this place. Their deep end blend pinot is very good and can age pretty well.
Breggo- Went in for a tasting, after expressing an interest in the concrete eggs I saw in the back, they took my dad and I into the barrel room and had us taste through barrel samples of everything they had and spent 2 hours with us…it was a great experience…Haven’t been back since it was sold to the owner of Cliff Lede though

This is all very helpful- thanks guys.

Also try Richard Berridge Wines at the Madrones (if still there, was last spring). Really nice pinots, both cuvees and SVD’s. Little pricey but a fun visit nonetheless. http://www.berridgewines.com

My favorites from the last trip: Navarro, Roederer, Greenwood Ridge