TN: 2001 Domaine Charvin - Côtes du Rhône (France, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian G r a f s t r o m

TN: 2001 Domaine Charvin - Côtes du Rhône (France, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône)

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 17th, 2013, 2:31 pm

2001 Domaine Charvin Côtes du Rhône (Le Poutet) - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (12/14/2012)
-- popped and poured --
-- tasted non-blind over 4 hours --

NOSE: light raspberry, strawberry and red currant mélange; strong mineral note; lightly herby; a touch smoky or a slight matchstick note; moderate- to moderate expressiveness.

BODY: medium-light to medium bodied; garnet core with bricking throughout; color is of medium-light to medium depth.

TASTE: good acidity; drying tannin; moderately strong garrigue note; clean, with light concentration of typical, Grenache red fruit flavors; hint of sandalwood; fruit is very light; lots of acidity; 14% alc. is not noticeable; no point in holding off on these any longer: drink now.

B: 50, 5, 11, 15, 7 = (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Zachary Ross

Re: TN: 2001 Domaine Charvin - Côtes du Rhône (France, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône)

#2 Post by Zachary Ross » January 17th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Nice. Are these Charvin Cotes-du-Rhones expected to age this well? Was it worth the wait?
Iroulégeek.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: TN: 2001 Domaine Charvin - Côtes du Rhône (France, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône)

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 17th, 2013, 4:42 pm

I'm a fan of the CdP, don't think I've ever seen a CdR from Charvin. The '01 CdP's are about ready to drink, too, like this bottle apparently is.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#4 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 17th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Zachary Ross wrote:Nice. Are these Charvin Cotes-du-Rhones expected to age this well?
I don't know. I've never had one with this kind of age on it.
Was it worth the wait?
Well, I very recently purchased it at a well-reputed UK retailer, so I didn't have to wait on it! Had I bought this on release, however, I think my answer would be, "No. I should have drank it 2 or 3 years ago." This was simply a solid, enjoyable Cotes du Rhone with some age on it that has aged nicely. Nothing about it was earth-shaking or moving. Do I think the ageing improved it significantly? Well, since I've never had the '01 when it was younger, I have to say, "I don't know." Maybe others will chime-in?

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 17th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'm a fan of the CdP, don't think I've ever seen a CdR from Charvin. The '01 CdP's are about ready to drink, too, like this bottle apparently is.
The '01 Charvin CdP is a pants-wetter. flirtysmile Based on a bottle I tasted a year ago, I think it still needs a couple years before it hits its prime drink window.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#6 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 17th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'm a fan of the CdP, don't think I've ever seen a CdR from Charvin. The '01 CdP's are about ready to drink, too, like this bottle apparently is.
The '01 Charvin CdP is a pants-wetter. flirtysmile Based on a bottle I tasted a year ago, I think it still needs a couple years before it hits its prime drink window.
I've got a mag of it waiting for a nice Berserker event [cheers.gif]
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#7 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 17th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
I've got a mag of it waiting for a nice Berserker event [cheers.gif]
A mag will be ready just in time for the 20yr. anniversary, I would think. ... j/k. Really, I'd hold-off another 10yrs. on a mag..

Fred C

#8 Post by Fred C » January 17th, 2013, 5:23 pm

01 VT still has some time to go. It tasted pretty hot next to a 1995 VT.
Ch!3n

Jonathan Loesberg

#9 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » January 18th, 2013, 10:30 am

I have tasted 13 year old examples of the Cote de Rhone at the domaine and some from ostensibly weak vintages that have been young and vibrant (though their color showed age). They age very well, if one likes the taste aged. The flavors move from fruit to earth. But they have the structure and stuffing easily to go to 12-15 years and I regularly keep mine so I can taste them at 10-12. I tasted the 01 last summer at the domaine and mistook it for the CdP. I think these wines are best after they are 5 or so, thought they are always a lot of fun just after release. Beware though: they regularly close down sometime between 3 and 5 years old. If you have the 08 CdPs, they are singing right now.

W. Leonard

#10 Post by W. Leonard » January 18th, 2013, 11:26 am

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:I have tasted 13 year old examples of the Cote de Rhone at the domaine and some from ostensibly weak vintages that have been young and vibrant (though their color showed age). They age very well, if one likes the taste aged. The flavors move from fruit to earth. But they have the structure and stuffing easily to go to 12-15 years and I regularly keep mine so I can taste them at 10-12. I tasted the 01 last summer at the domaine and mistook it for the CdP. I think these wines are best after they are 5 or so, thought they are always a lot of fun just after release. Beware though: they regularly close down sometime between 3 and 5 years old. If you have the 08 CdPs, they are singing right now.

Great response. Peter, who I work for and has been importing the wine for 20 years, ages his Cotes du Rhone for an average of seven years (or more). He is currently drinking 2001s with similar success as noted here! A terrific $20 bottle of wine in that it really can age as Jonathan describes.
warren@weygandtwines.com

Jonathan Loesberg

#11 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » January 18th, 2013, 1:19 pm

W. Leonard wrote:
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:I have tasted 13 year old examples of the Cote de Rhone at the domaine and some from ostensibly weak vintages that have been young and vibrant (though their color showed age). They age very well, if one likes the taste aged. The flavors move from fruit to earth. But they have the structure and stuffing easily to go to 12-15 years and I regularly keep mine so I can taste them at 10-12. I tasted the 01 last summer at the domaine and mistook it for the CdP. I think these wines are best after they are 5 or so, thought they are always a lot of fun just after release. Beware though: they regularly close down sometime between 3 and 5 years old. If you have the 08 CdPs, they are singing right now.

Great response. Peter, who I work for and has been importing the wine for 20 years, ages his Cotes du Rhone for an average of seven years (or more). He is currently drinking 2001s with similar success as noted here! A terrific $20 bottle of wine in that it really can age as Jonathan describes.

It's actually frustrating as hell. I started buying the CdRs regularly in 2000, thinking I'd drink them as a way to keep my hands off the CdP. Working through my case of 2000s, I stumbled into their closed period through ignorance and accident. When they came out a couple of years later, I tried to keep my hands off for awhile to see what they would become, by moving on to more recent vintages. Then, when I talked to Laurent about this, he let me taste a 96 when it was around 10 and I knew that I had to find other things to drink to keep my hands of the CdRs. My current practice is to drink the newest ones and older ones while I wait for the ones that aren't 5 or more.

Cliff Rosenberg

#12 Post by Cliff Rosenberg » January 18th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote: If you have the 08 CdPs, they are singing right now.
Really, already? I am surprised, but that is very good to know. Thanks!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#13 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 18th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:
CT notes say otherwise, at least with recent tastings

Jonathan Loesberg

#14 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » January 19th, 2013, 7:09 am

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:
Again a stupid typo. I meant CdRs. The last Chateauneuf I had was still closed, though it responds well to a lengthy decanting. This wine reminds me more and more of the 04 Chateauneuf, which needed a lot of airing until it reached six or seven but is singing right now.

Cliff Rosenberg

#15 Post by Cliff Rosenberg » January 19th, 2013, 8:05 am

That sounds right. I've only got a couple of bottles in the States, so I will sit tight and look forward to the future.

Alexander Hansen

#16 Post by Alexander Hansen » January 19th, 2013, 8:19 am

I really enjoy the 01 CNDPs. Currently about half way through a case of Beaucastel.

Arv R

#17 Post by Arv R » August 30th, 2016, 9:20 pm

We had a bottle of the 2007 Charvin CdR the prior two nights, and it really drank better on the second day. It's an interesting wine, not at all spoofy/jacked up/modern, but I get a tiny hint of funky flowers in it. I remember that from another bottle a few months ago too. Despite the age, I think decanting helps this.
R_@_0

Jonathan Loesberg

#18 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » August 31st, 2016, 1:20 am

Without wishing to start the 07 wars, while I think Charvin did well in 07 at making the Charvin-ness of the wine stand out against the vintage marking, it is still not my favorite vintage there. The 07 CdR is a nice, as you say, slightly funky wine. It may resolve more, but I think it is what it will be. I have no doubt a little airing helps. I had a bottle pop and pour this summer that was quite nice, though it was outshone by the 06. I had the 07 CdP at the domaine, courtesy of Laurent, in July and it was really coming around. It may make me more of a believer, as the 03 CdP did this year.

Arv R

#19 Post by Arv R » September 11th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Arv R wrote:We had a bottle of the 2007 Charvin CdR the prior two nights, and it really drank better on the second day. It's an interesting wine, not at all spoofy/jacked up/modern, but I get a tiny hint of funky flowers in it. I remember that from another bottle a few months ago too. Despite the age, I think decanting helps this.
Revisiting the 2007 CdR ~ a year later. In this case the wine drank better on the first night, with the funky notes emerging more on the second. Still doing very well and no rush to consume it despite its modest AOC. A wine for those who love grenache.
R_@_0

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by dcornutt » September 12th, 2017, 2:42 am

Yes. This is one of the best 01s along with Rayas and Pegau.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Gerhard P.

#21 Post by Gerhard P. » September 12th, 2017, 5:11 am

The CdR from Charvin holds really very well ... however - after 10-12 years (depending on the vintage) there is not much to gain ... usually fully mature and for drinking up over the next (2-3) years ...

I had my last 2001 in spring - and while it was very good it has lost some intensity and clearly was for drinking up ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Jonathan Loesberg

#22 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » September 12th, 2017, 8:00 am

Gerhard P. wrote:The CdR from Charvin holds really very well ... however - after 10-12 years (depending on the vintage) there is not much to gain ... usually fully mature and for drinking up over the next (2-3) years ...

I had my last 2001 in spring - and while it was very good it has lost some intensity and clearly was for drinking up ...
Yes, I think the CdRs hit peak at around 10 (depending on the vintage) and stay there, maybe slightly longer than Gerhard says, but in that range. I am currently drinking up my 03s and 05s, attacking my 06s 07s and 08s and starting in on 09s and 10s. They help me keep my hands of the CdPs, which can be drunk young but which do improve for much longer.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Craig G » September 12th, 2017, 11:30 pm

dcornutt wrote:This is one of the best 01s along with Rayas and Pegau.
I think you meant Rayas and Pignan ;)
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 13th, 2017, 7:55 am

I brought an '01 Charvin mag to Joe Wu's house last Memorial Day and it was freakin' spot-on. I don't have any more of my '01's in 750ml but that's a good thing, as I would agree that it probably peaked a few years ago from that size

Gerhard P.

#25 Post by Gerhard P. » September 13th, 2017, 9:04 am

Craig G wrote:
dcornutt wrote:This is one of the best 01s along with Rayas and Pegau.
I think you meant Rayas and Pignan ;)
Even if he meant Rayas and Pignan - or Pegau ... (all are great) .... neener
I disagree that the Côtes du Rhône (!) by Charvin is one of the best wines (from the Southern Rhone) of the vintage ...

... talking about the Charvin/Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2001 ... ok, we could discuss ... but even then there are many more to name ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Jonathan Loesberg

#26 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » September 13th, 2017, 9:09 am

He was explicitly referring to a reference above to the CdP, so he never meant to claim that the CdR was one of the best wines of the vintage, an evaluation that would certainly be an outlier.

Gerhard P.

#27 Post by Gerhard P. » September 13th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:He was explicitly referring to a reference above to the CdP, so he never meant to claim that the CdR was one of the best wines of the vintage, an evaluation that would certainly be an outlier.
right - sorry, I overread the origin ...
[shrug.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Arv R

#28 Post by Arv R » November 8th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Arv R wrote:
September 11th, 2017, 7:38 pm
Arv R wrote:We had a bottle of the 2007 Charvin CdR the prior two nights, and it really drank better on the second day. It's an interesting wine, not at all spoofy/jacked up/modern, but I get a tiny hint of funky flowers in it. I remember that from another bottle a few months ago too. Despite the age, I think decanting helps this.
Revisiting the 2007 CdR ~ a year later. In this case the wine drank better on the first night, with the funky notes emerging more on the second. Still doing very well and no rush to consume it despite its modest AOC. A wine for those who love grenache.
I pulled my final bottle of the 07 Charvin CdR, at age 12 and its pretty good but prior bottles were better. The strong grenache fruit of its youth has blurred out, like a jawline turning jowly. It's a been a nice wine to have in the afternoons, without food. These have been so joyful - its been a long time since I bought so much CdR from a single producer - but the Charvins were worth the space/effort.
R_@_0

Return to “Wine Talk”