TN: 1993 Comte Senard Corton-Clos du Roi

• 1993 Comte Senard Corton-Clos du Roi - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (12/28/2012)
    Fairly passive and sluggish nose with scents of smoke, caramel/brown sugar, mushrooms, earth, cherries and maybe a hint of herbs. Definitely a mature profile, fruit slightly faded. Palate started out tannic and tart but softened after a couple of hours. Healthy amount of acid. Carried a spicy chalky finish. I would not use a term like elegant to describe this wine. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

jordan:

Anu hope of future development or should it be drunk asap?

Based on a tasting a few years ago, I think the wines from Comte Senard might have improved quite a bit in recent years, possibly due to a generational change from father to daughter.

Carlos,
My bottle suggested consumption in the short term. Other notes on CT may lean otherwise.

Though it’s true that the generations have changed…Accad, whose wines from the '80s and early '90s…and whose wine this one likely was…was there. I have been very impressed by how the Accad wines (Chez Grivot and Senard) have turned out…even surprised…had a Grivot Vosne villages '88 this week).

By the way, Phillipe Senard is still a big fan of Accad’s methods and the man , too…he, like I, feels the guy, being an outsider to Burgundy (I think he was Algerian?) got a raw deal re: reputation.

Had an 85 Senard Corton Clos du Roi about 2002 or so that was one of the best burgs I’ve had…ever.