TN 2003 Wolff Vineyards PN

When Melissa scored a couple of remarkably pungent local white truffles for dinner, we agreed that the meal really deserved to be matched with a local Pinot. Imagine our surprise when the only Oregon Pinot we could come up with in our kitchen was an '04 Bergstrom that was just a little too special to burn up on a Monday evening, truffles notwithstanding. We dug a bit deeper and unearthed a souvenir from a previous SoCal holiday - a 2004 Wolff Vineyards Edna Valley San Luis Obispo Estate Dijon Clones Selection. Whew.

As I recall, Wolff was a pleasantly low-key place just south of SLO. Seems like the tasting room was nothing more than a pleasantly-appointed mobile home and patio area situated on a hillside in full view of the Edna Valley and 125 acres of grapes. I believe they mostly sell their grapes to other producers, reserving a small amount for their own processing.

After popping the cork, both Melissa and I remarked on the vibrant nose on this wine. It’s got lots of brambly raspberry overtones, along with nice funky earthy stuff, and even some spicy notes going on. 14% alcohol, but not a lot of heat. A few swirls in the glass releases more red fruits and earthiness. The wine is a clear, pure garnet with a hint of copper at the rim. On the palate, assertive acidity and considerable tannic structure - this wine isn’t over the hill by a long shot. My impression is that 2003 was a hot year in CA just like everywhere else on the planet, but this wine isn’t an unstructured fruit bomb at all. On the contrary, it’s fairly elegant and restrained - if not terribly complex. It’s kind of a one-trick pony, but it’s a pretty nice trick. The texture isn’t as silky as some Pinots, but it’s lively and pleasant. Finish is sweet but relatively short.

I thought the wine paired nicely with our dinner. It wasn’t profound by any means, but it was a pleasant and somewhat sophisticated accompaniment. Over-extraction, oak, and general goopiness were nowhere to be found.

Thanks for the note Steve. At least one of you posts notes. :stuck_out_tongue: Some of us had a great recent experience with a Wolff wine from an Italian variety that made for a very nicely balanced drink. We were quite taken aback. Need to make a note to check out this producer more often.

Wow…look out…the new guy writes some serious notes! Rock on Steve! [dance2.gif]

Don’t be silly.

Melissa writes them, he just signs his name.

Cris: teroldego? I think we tried some there, but I have absolutely no memory of what it was like.

Zach: I seldom make notes, but this was a pleasant surprise tonight, so I was, ahem, inspired.

Todd: Melissa doesn’t necessarily write the notes, but she maintains editing authority. No sense trying to fight it.

That’s the one Steve. My friend Lisa who was also at the dinner made another remark to me yesterday when I saw her about how good it was. And she does not have much love for a lot of Cali wines. Here’s the thread of my notes:
TNs: Friday at the Duck House - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No sense? You mean no option.

Steve, great notes. What I remember most about the winery (besides the Teroldego, which tangentially, is a grape we also tried at Mosby. I’m not aware of any other US producers who grow it) is the owner-winemaker’s enthusiasm and congeniality. It was a really fun place to stop.

Hey wait, I posted notes yesterday!

Too amusing. My wife likes to tell me how to write my blog - screens my photos too. I tell her to go make her own damn wine blog…but, of course, she doesn’t listen.