TN: 2009 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru 150 Anniversary

I had some high hopes for this wine. I guess it is a special wine for them as an anniversary wine. It is a blend of their many 1er Cru vineyards. I have to say that I am disappointed. It is very light, without any complexities. And while I am not a Pinot drinker, so can’t really do justice in my review, I can say that it is a rather simple wine.

hmmm, friends who know and like Burgs have spoken highly of the wine. I am a little curious, bought 6, but wonder if terroir is blurred by blending a bunch of 1er cru vineyards that normally speak well on their own. Wonder if there are different batches of the blend, if there’s travel shock, etc.
alan

Alan, I also bought a 6 pack from CWC, which got delivered here about 1 week ago. If I were you, would go with the opinion of your Burg buddies, as I am not a Pinot drinker. It’s just for me it was rather light and simple.

This wine has more mineral notes than powerful voluptuous material. Think Beaune Cras rather than Beaune Vignes Franches. I don’t know the actual mixture BTW. It is very nice but built more on the mineral side of Beaune. Pretty rather than powerful. I liked it when I had it. FWIW.

I may pop one of mine in a few weeks and render an opinion

I was surprised how much I didn’t like this wine at the LaPaulee Grand Tasting earlier this year. Then again, I prefer both the 08 and 10 vintages in general.

RT

I’ve only had a few '10s but I’m right there with you on '08.

+1
my 6 pack is resting until the 160th anniversary or later. thank for checking one out Otto.

A friend opened a bottle of this a couple of months ago. It showed very candied but not light. All these different impressions have me thinking it’s still trying to sort itself out.

I opened a bottle about a week ago and agree with most of the comments above, and while I’m not expert enough to know why it’s not showing well today, it was not showing well.

Thought hard about buying a 6-pack when I saw this wine in the mid $40s. Passed sans remorse.

Drank one of those 2 days ago and it was beautiful.

I have not tasted yet the bottles of this I have purchased, but more generally, I agree that I have liked their 2008s and 2010s (which are truly spectacular) more than their 2009s.

You were expecting complexity from Jadot?

Or maybe subtlety?

Or elegance? Or eclecticism? Or anything at all out of the ordinary?

This is Jadot we’re talking about, right?!?

Nathan, you have a problem with Jadot?

Nathan has a problem with everything.

Pretty much sums it up. Never seen a post from Nathan where he was positive about anything - must be a horrible way to go through life.

I sympathise with Nathan’s outlook in some ways. Jadot make wonderful wines, though. He’s wrong about those.

Jadot takes some of the greatest terroir on the face of the earth, and turns it into the most boring, insipid, uninspired, tasteless, aroma-less, texture-less, clumsy, ham-handed, pedestrian crap in the entire industry.

“Blocky” even.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t know diddly squat about Drouhin or Louis Latour, so I suppose that it’s at least theoretically possible that they might make even more simplistic wines than Jadot, but, if so, then I don’t care to learn about it.

I have opened 2 bottles of this over the past couple of weeks. The first was popped and poured and shared with some friends we had over for dinner. It was pleasant, but not particularly memorable. When I shared that with the owner of our local bottle shop, he recommended giving it another try, this time giving it some time after opening.

Drank the 2nd bottle this past weekend. I pulled the cork, poured a glass, and let it sit for an hour and then consumed it over the next 2 hours. Quite a different experience. It opened up very well and exhibited excellent balance.

Went back and bought a six pack and a magnum. I could see that it will not please everyone’s palate, but it worked for me.