TN: 1975 Mouton

Pat Burton’s note today on the 1970 Mouton has prompted me to offer my thoughts on the 1975 Mouton from this past weekend.

Popped from 750. Cork came out relatively clean with some broken residue along the edges - the cork quality, however, was quite decent, depicting at least on its face, decent storage conditions (no signs of seepage, bad seal, etc.) A very musky nose that could turn off some, not me, but enough to warrant a decent decant to see if it blew off. Checked in at 30 minutes, then 60, the latter of which appeared to be right on.

I have never really had great experiences with the harsh tannins in the 1975 vintage. I can say this was a noble wine, true to place (Pauillac). The tannins have softened, but unfortunately, the fruit has dried considerably. Soft red berries within a sea of earth tones, tobacco leaf, graphite, cedar box and a hint of green bell pepper. Acidity a bit high, short crisp finish. Softened and became a bit creamier, much more pleasant about an hour after decanting. Paired quite well with grilled lamb chops, and in all candor, blew away the 2009 Peter Michael Les Pavot.

I would put this in the interesting and quite good column, but nowhere near great. Probably never great.

Drink up - it ain’t getting any better. Perhaps 10 years past it’s prime.

When they are on, the 1975s can be outstanding. I have had plenty that were harsh, or rather very austere and “dried out”. Two notable examples of exemplary wines are the La Mission and Latour’s second wine. The La Mission was easily one of the best bottles I have ever opened. The Latour was also very nice.

Thanks for the note.

Anyone who has interest in '75 Bordeaux should not miss Pichon Lalande – it’s come around in great fashion. Gruaud Larose is not bad, but agree that many of the wines have dropped fruit and kept tannic acid. Haut Brion can be very good too. 1975 was a vintage that pretty much defined “rustic,” and I think we will never see such a vintage again --Bordeaux just does not make wines like that anymore.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I was going to use the word “rustic” in my notes, but given the thread on what it means - evidently a perjorative to many - I passed on it. Rustic, in a good way, is quite apropos for this wine.

thanks for the comments. its nice to read your notes after trying the 70