TN: 1970 Mouton

• 1970 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (12/12/2012)
    From a 375. Mid shoulder fill. The was cork soaked completely through and some wine had clearly gotten stuck between the foil and cork. Regardless, the cork came out in a single piece. However, a horrid odor of rotting vegetables permeated the air while I removed the cork. Crestfallen, I decided to decant it in hopes that this smell would blow off. To my surprise, it did. The result was a fully mature wine. On the nose I detected worn leather, graphite, and a hint of raisins. The taste was true to the nose, adding in a bit of prune or perhaps fig as well as crystal clear acidity that caused my mouth to water. Yet the finish was short and the mid palate was a bit hollow. Ultimately, I expect this bottle was on the decline but still quite enjoyable. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow, quite an old 375ml wine! You were quite fortunate that it was still drinkable, much less enjoyable.

agreed. the out of pocket cost for this bottle made it worth the gamble to me though. I have had limited opportunities to try first growths so I rolled the dice…

Thanks for the note. You had much better luck with a 375 than I’ve had with 750s of this wine over the last several decades. Never been one of my favorites (although I like the label) [cheers.gif]

No problem. I might have been a bit generous with the score; I often struggle with scoring wines of this age.

It’s also possible my case wasn’t right. Unfortunately, it was the wine I chose for the Kiddish Cup at my wedding - I’ll always have a special place for the '70 Mouton

Thanks Pat - I had a 750 early this year which was wonderfully mature. I’ve had no problems in 750s (and hoping that a magnum is even better)…