Older wines from Oregon?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Older wines from Oregon?

#1 Post by Mark Golodetz » December 2nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

Opened a 1994 Panther Creek. Did not have much fruit left, soft tannins, a little earth. OK, nothing special, certainly had not developed much complexity. Is this what one can expect from older Pinots from Oregon?
ITB

jbray23

Re: Older wines from Oregon?

#2 Post by jbray23 » December 2nd, 2012, 8:40 pm

No... I'm actually drinking a 99' Evesham Wood regular cuvee right now that is still slightly closed.
I have often found that some older Oregon Pinot is better on the second day, as weird as that sounds. A couple of years ago I opened a 95' Ken Wright Canary Hill and it was shrill and weak and seemed almost dead, it was a water soaked vintage after all. I drank about a third of it and came back to it the next day and it did exactly what I assumed, it blossomed into a very complex, scented wine that had a lot of life left.
Last edited by jbray23 on December 2nd, 2012, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason, back itb

benjamin laird marshall

#3 Post by benjamin laird marshall » December 2nd, 2012, 8:57 pm

See my post on '94 St. Innocent Seven Springs tonight.
" I don't see the face of kindness, I don't hear the mission bells, I don't smell the morning roses..." Beck
www.whatslairddrinkingnow.com

C. Grimm

#4 Post by C. Grimm » December 2nd, 2012, 9:04 pm

I've still got some 99's that are doing well. It certainly depends on the vintage (and the producer), but I think Oregon PN is capable of aging far longer than is conventionally given credit. 99 was a near-perfect vintage - I wish I had more than I do.

(I'm a fan of the Panther Creek Wines from 94 through around 99 - what was the vineyard on that one? I have a Freedom Hill vertical going back to the first vintage (92?) back in Oregon, that I look forward to tasting through one day.)
Chris

Claude Kolm

#5 Post by Claude Kolm » December 2nd, 2012, 9:11 pm

About 10-12 years ago, I attended a retrospective tasting of Ponzi Pinot Noirs back to 1973, and there was no problem with the vitality or quality of any of those wines. As in Burgundy, producer, producer, producer.
the-fine-wine-review.blogspot.com

Steve Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Steve Anderson » December 2nd, 2012, 10:25 pm

I've had the 1992 Ici/La Bas La Cougoule from Montinore Vineyard three times in the past year. Has been excellent each time, but once opened needs to be consumed within about 2 hours.

Cheers,

Steve
Delectable: Steve Anderson IG: steveandmisuk

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by dsGriswold » December 2nd, 2012, 10:50 pm

I had a '94 Bethel Heights Estate PN a while back that was revealing to what an older PN could deliver. The bright berry fruit renewed my appreciation in PN. While it may not have been a mind blower, I have not had a more enjoyable drink. Like those burg-hounds, I now can search out those astounding PNs. Actually I am too old to search aggressively, and just wait for a passing one I can snag unawares. [snort.gif]
DennisG

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Robert Grenley » December 2nd, 2012, 11:19 pm

As Tanzer said about the 94 OR pinots back then, many of them reached their peak while in the barrel. Searching for OR pinot that ages well has been perhaps a bit hit or miss over the years, but that is true in CA too. I have had some great Evesham Wood Cuvee J's at 15 or more years of age, and my last bottle of 1993 Domaine Drouhin a couple of years ago was still going strong. As Claude said, producer, producer, producer.
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#9 Post by Richard T r i m p i » December 3rd, 2012, 6:05 am

Here's a Cellar Tracker blurb on the Eyrie South Block Vertical 1974 - 2007, tasted July 2011.

I believe there was a fair amount of screening and prep before this tasting. Something like 20% of the older bottles were reportedly flawed (most oxidized). I'm not sure that's a whole lot different than Burgundies would be from the mid 70's to early 80's.

Oregon Pinots don't yet age quite as well as Burgundies. They're getting there, faster than CA in my biased opinion.

RT

Loren Sonkin

#10 Post by Loren Sonkin » December 3rd, 2012, 6:06 am

I had a 94 Panther Creek maybe two years ago that was great. Complex, still showing some fruit but very developed. The Burg lovers at the table loved it. At 18, hard to find consistency.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin
Columnist at www.Intowine.com

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Rick Allen » December 3rd, 2012, 9:45 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:Here's a Cellar Tracker blurb on the Eyrie South Block Vertical 1974 - 2007, tasted July 2011.

I believe there was a fair amount of screening and prep before this tasting. Something like 20% of the older bottles were reportedly flawed (most oxidized). I'm not sure that's a whole lot different than Burgundies would be from the mid 70's to early 80's.

Oregon Pinots don't yet age quite as well as Burgundies. They're getting there, faster than CA in my biased opinion.

RT
I attended this tasting, and some of the most profound wines were the older ones. The 1983 South Block is the best Oregon Pinot I've ever tasted (and I've tasted it three times), with the 1982 South Block is right behind.

Return to “Wine Talk”