Your wine(s) of the year for 2012

Never too early to start this one.

I will give three.
2009 Rivers-Marie Panek Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium
2008 Pride Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

See a trend?

SQN Dangerous Birds Syrah is the red WOTY, so far. Believe it or not I think a Gewurzt is gonna end up winning the white gold medal!

top of my head
09 Continuum
05 O’Shaughnessy Mt Veeder
89 Pichon Baron
07 Clos des Papes
03 Pegau Reservee
90 Latour
90 d’Yquem

sadly no “curl my toes” Burgs so far although 02 d’Angerville Volnay Champans was a standout

Easy. 1988 Cristal Rose. Best Champagne I’ve ever had, and one of the most memorable wines I’ve had in my life. Still haunts me.

Got any more of that lying around, Veronica? [cheers.gif]

I haven’t kept notes much this year but of the younger wines I have had, these look to be my favs.
2007 Harris Estate Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Jake’s Creek Vineyard
2005 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Special Selection Seven Springs
2004 Evesham Wood Pinot Noir Seven Springs

One of the older wines I remember was a 1969 Luis Martinin Zinfandel. Still alive and kicken.

Jason

I only wish.

Cheers!

probably 97 insignia from magnum last saturday. in a perfect place right now.

Surprisingly this was my highest rated wine of what I tasted (I only got a 1 oz pour), though I’m not sure it’s the one I’d most enjoy sitting down with a whole bottle for myself. Rounding out the top 5:

2005 Leoville Poyferre
2007 Quilceda Creek CS
2010 Faiveley Les Saint Georges
1987 Dunn Napa Valley

+1 on the 2009 Rivers Marie Panek - awesome stuff

2009 Futo
2008 Abreu Madrona Ranch
2007 Sloan

I’d manage to make an afternoon of it!

In keeping with a newer releases theme, for me it’s 2009 Joguet Clos de la Dioterie. Absolutely delicious. At $50, it’s by far the best QPR that I have had this year. I’ve had 3 bottles this year, 2 consumed over a couple of days. Felt the same way about the 2005 Joguet Clos de la Dioterie, which I will check out again over the holidays. I’ve had some wines that wowed me much more, especially some older wines like a smattering of the '82 Bordeaux I killed this year, an 89 d’Yquem, and a 1991 Dunn Howell Mountain (probably my highest rating of the year), but this Chinon was right in my wheelhouse.

Talk about score inflation. [wink.gif]

• 2000 Château Cheval Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/25/2012)
    Youthful Bordeauxs at Ruth’s Chris, Tysons including two 100 pointers (Ruth’s Chris, Tysons corner, VA): I usually don’t describe the color but this is still opaque. Intense nose displays sweet jammy blue and black fruits, crème de cassis, exotic sweet spices, dark milk chocolate and ink. The palate displays unbelievable concentration and extremely sweet perfectly matured fruits. The tannin is very well integrated. This along with the 90 Margaux shows the greatest concentration and the fruit intensity. This is very youthful yet extremely enjoyable due to the incredible amount perfectly ripe sweet fruits and the perfect balance. This bottle seems even fresher than the bottle had at the chateau during the 09 EP. (100 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, MĂ©doc, Margaux (3/25/2012)
    Youthful Bordeauxs at Ruth’s Chris, Tysons including two 100 pointers (Ruth’s Chris, Tysons corner, VA): The intensity in the nose is unbelievable, cassis, a hint of raspberry, cedar, ink and lead pencil. The palate displays incredibly concentration, extremely sweet/perfectly ripe fruits, silky texture. The tannin is not noticeable until the very end. This seems bigger and sweeter than the 90 Latour which is more of a classic claret. It is extremely youthful yet so perfectly hedonistic. (100 pts.)
  • 2010 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/1/2012)
    GJE CRD 2008 and EP 2011; 3/29/2012-4/4/2012 (Bordeaux, France): Licorice, black fruits, truffle, flowers, crushed rocks, incredible core energy. Extremely silky palate and no sign of tannins due to the concentrated fruits. One of those rare wines that lifts your spirit. (100 pts.)
  • 1948 Château d’Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (4/2/2012)
    GJE CRD 2008 and EP 2011; 3/29/2012-4/4/2012 (Bordeaux, France): I have often wrongly assumed the quality of Sauternes vintage to closely mirror that of the red Bordeaux. This and the 36 D’Yquem are good examples that this is not the case. This has explosive nose of caramel, plum, licorice, very old brandy, orange, yellow peach jam and anise. The palate displays incredibly rich fruits and is big and chewy yet still maintains the magical airiness that one can only find in D’yquem. This is perfect in every way. Unbelievably big and expressive wine that still is fresh and has the perfect balance. (100 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Didn’t keep formal notes but off the top of my head these stuck out:

Reds:
2000 Margaux
2000 Cheval Blanc
1988 Rousseau CSJ
2002 Rousseau Chambertin

Whites:
1999 Leflaive Batard Montrachet
2001 Yquem

La Tâche 1990
Haut-Brion 62
Clos Sainte-Hune in many vintages
Morgon CĂ´te du Py 1992 from Jean-Marc Burgaud

C. Audoin Marsannay-La Charme aux PrĂŞtres 05 flirtysmile

94 dominus
SQN 17th nail
91 ridge mb
61 ausone

Whites
Liquid Farm Chardonnay Golden Slope 2010
Liquid Farm Chardonnay White Hill 2010

Reds
2008 Larkmead Solari
2010 Myriad Syrah Esther Block Las Madres
2007 Kamen Estate Cabernet

2000 Margaux only got 99 pts, hence the absurdity of taking 100 point system seriously. [wink.gif] BTW, 2001 D’Yquem is great.

Posted from CellarTracker

Francois,
The 62 HB is great. Nice to see the 90 La Tache and the 92 Morgon by Burgaud together at the top.