TN: 2006 K Vintners Syrah Motor City Kitty Stoneridge Vineyard

Posted from CellarTracker

Sorry for the brevity. newhere
Consistently great. Needs about 30 minutes to hit its stride. Lots of Syrah goodness: Blueberries, huckleberry, pomegranate, crushed igneous rocks, some soil, wet forest, and leather. Deep dark long and fun, this is not one to contemplate, but to share and enjoy.
Well done Chuck!

Mike,

Thanks for the note. I picked up my first K Vintners wine last weekend, two bottles of the '06 Morrison Lane (also my first Washington Syrah). One went to the cellar, the other into home rotation. Wanted to try one now, even though the WS recommended drinking window starts in 2011. Did a quick shoulder pour last night, and have very high expectations for this wine. Will get back to it tonight, but initial indications match up quite well with what you report for the Motor City Kitty.

Cheers,

Steve

Charles Smith is making some great wines under the K Vintners label as well as his own name. We tasted through many of the wines with him a week ago, (he’s a wild man, road his Harley to Napa from WA). The ones that stood out, the “Guido” Sangiovese with a little Syrah in it, "El Jefe"Tempranillo and “The Boy” Grenache these were terrific.
One of his whites under the Charles Smith label “Eve” Chardonnay is probably one of the better values out of WA for around $12.00.
His “K” syrah’s are consistantly good and good values for the quality.

Carrie,
I agree, crazy guy but makes some great juice. I really like the K Viognier. Opened up a bottle of MCK last weekend an Mike summed it up about right, nothing but good honest Syrah. Look for the Royal City if you haven’t tasted it, it;s the other part of the MCK only 3 times the price though

From my notes dated March 25th, 2009
2006 K Vintners RC Syrah- Here is a very special offering that must not be ignored. It was dark, ominous, pure, elegant, super structured and just down right enjoyable. It is what many Syrahs can only dream of being. Look for it soon. It will be a pricey $80ish, but well worth the tariff. If you have had his ‘Skull’ bottling, you will know this wine. 94/100
I bought when offered for pre-sale.
I believe it may be one of the single best Syrahs I have ever tasted.

Mike & Craig,
Thanks, I’m on the hunt ! Haven’t tried the RC but hopefully will be able to