Sorting through the email offers - WineNabber? UnrollMe?

I’m sure I receive less than many, but it sure seems like I get a couple dozen emails a day with different wine offers. I think the WineNabber idea is great, as it presorts for you, but then I also read about UnrollMe, which is more about diverting them, and organizing them to look at later, and apparently only works right now with webmail (gmail, specifically).

Has anyone actually tried WineNabber to see how it works? I’m thinking of signing up, but since I’m on a buying freeze, I’m a bit afraid that if I do parse through all the emails to target what I want that I’ll find stuff I can’t say no to. The system makes a lot of sense, but I don’t know who is using it.

Disclaimer: I don’t see the ads, but I understand there is a WineNabber ad among the circulation for those who are not Donors.

I tried it from a link on the homepage here.

Been on it a week, and have lost interest. I don’t recognize most of the shippers they list in my daily emails, and the vast majority of wines presented to me are north of 60. I simply won’t gamble on 60 dollar wines from mail order, that I haven’t tried before.

The WineNabber guy got off to a roaring start here. Is he from Hawaii?

Eric, I’m from Vermont, where winter is approaching. Hawaii sounds very good right now.

Mark, maybe I can be useful here. As the guy who created WineNabber, my intention was to create a filter for the vast number of wine email offers that come out each day, so that a user of our service could tailor the filter to fit their wants/needs. May I suggest that you login to WN and set your price filter so that the maximum price conforms with what you are willing to spend online. That will take care of those + $60 offers. We are trying hard to work with as many respectable wine retailers as possible, so if there are some you really like, let us know so we can take a look at them. Right now we cover 23+ retailers including JJ Buckley, K&L, WTSO, Cinderella, BP Wine, Benchmark, wine.com, to name just a few.

The Hawaii thing was actually a subtle SPAM joke… [snort.gif]

Stick around though. You will have fun. And I hope that WineNabber goes well for you.

Peter, are the shipping rates determined by the individual retailer, also? Is there a way to add a functionality that keeps shipping rates in check, too? I’ve found a few great deals on stores in New York, but once I see the shipping rate, I can’t take advantage of the offer. I’m not sure it’s possible, as the shipping rate is determined after the cart shows quantity and the zip code is entered, but it would be a cool function.

Eric,
You can tell I’m among the uninitiated. I can’t hide that, so thanks for the good wished.

Todd,
Our latest release (done yesterday) shows shipping rates for an offer that does not have free shipping (or similar) associated with it. We did that because we saw too many vendors gaming wine-searcher and offering ludicrously low prices coupled with equally ridiculously high shipping costs. Let me try to explain. We have in our database information on what a vendor will charge to ship wine half way across the country, and each of our email notifications will show an estimate of what it will cost per bottle for the offering vendor to ship 1,3,6,12 bottles. The numbers will not be exact since we are not calculating this by a purchaser’s zip code, but it will be very useful because the price sensitivity lies in the number of bottles being shipped, not in the distance traveled.

Lastly, when an offer includes free shipping, we are adding to the low & high prices for the wine offered elsewhere an amount equal to the average of all vendors to ship the number of bottles. We hope this will provide users with accurate comparisons upon which to base purchasing decisions.

New review on WineNabber - The Wellesley Wine Press: 2012 Wine Industry Innovation of the Year: WineNabber

I still think this is a great idea - hope it catches on

If Peter Rothschild is still reading this–I’m in love with your stylish golden retriever. Really makes me miss “owning” one but the condo where I live does not substitute for a backyard. What is the name of the dog?

Jane–come visit Charleston
but bring wine [wink.gif]

Jane and Scott,

The Golden is Bailey. He was a magnificent friend who died seven years ago, but he lives on as my avatar. If you want to see the current team, check this out.Video Editor: Happy Holidays

Cheers,
peter