'06 Don Melchor - anyone had it?

I got an offer on some bottles of this, has anyone had it? Jay Miller - although being trashed on another thread - gave it a 95 or so, Tanzer a 92. Varying notes on Cellartracker. Am buying it from an out of state retailer, otherwise would grab a bottle and try it myself. Heck - might just go ahead and try to find one bottle here to try.

Just seeing if anyone had tasted it yet.

Had this wine a month ago with Kimberly’s parents- Big, lush wine with dark cherry, black currant, and some strong herbaceous notes, paved over by loads of road tar. Not really my cup, but could see why it’s gets the attention.

Haven’t seen it locally yet, but will buy when I do see it. My fav South American wine without a doubt and always delivers on the cab front for far less coin than anywhere else in the world. Currently sitting on a '99 to '05 vertical.

I liked it. John’s TN sounds good, I would add loaminess. Basically if you’ve enjoyed the 03-05’s then you’ll likely enjoy this one. The price on the other hand… [swearing.gif]

You “herbacous notes” comment is interesting, as another note on cellartracker noted a “greenness”. I wonder if that will mature off, or is it part of the profile of the wine?

Indeed the recent bottlings do have an herbaceous and green streek. I think as they age, they give this characteristic up. Recently had a '99 and it was a wonderful bottle without any of the afore mentioned traits. Ten years seems to be the right time to enjoy these wines…although, I always kill a baby in the name of science.

It wasn’t out of balance with the size of the fruits and tar- loaminess is actually a good call on that one, as I remember getting that impression, but was hard to pull out.

you haven’t seen it at your local costcos? it’s landed here two months ago

Didn’t you try the mags I sent you that you had me buy at my Costco?

based on the notes, went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 6 pack in OWC. $55 a bottle. The retailer has another 4 or 5 more six packs that he will part with at that price and can hold until it cools off. If anyone wants the contact info, pls email me (can’t remember if it is ok to put the info here or not).

Not had any out of mag…but three or four out of 750. I found some more maggies locally, so I now have six total.

charlie,
how much is Costco charging?

Not Charlie, but I’ve seen it at Costco for $59.99. The 03’s cost me $32.99, but not at Costco.

Not yet.

$59. The price creeps up $5-10 a vintage it seems like @ costco.

ugh!! that probably spells the end of DM for me.

yup… $58 at costco here… 05 was $55 I think.

Yup, the '05 was $55 a bottle.

there are deals on WS when it was initially released at low 50’s. I’m glad I stocked up on the 05 tho! not as impressive at Bill’s 6 mags tho :wink: