TNs: 04 Aubert Ritchie, 03 Brewer Clifton Chard, 01 Bressler Cab, 08 Littorai

Last night 3 of Traci’s friends came over for dinner (they’re all heading to Kenny Chesney tomorrow night). Traci made a couple of terrific pizzas (roasted corn and poblano and a raclette/fontina/mushroom pizza), a very good caprese and one friend brought over a blueberry pie for dessert. Okay the wines, brief impressions, since two of the friends are out from Houston and there was lots of cackling going on…

2003 Brewer Clifton, Melville Vineyard, Chardonnay
This wine seemed a little bigger scaled than the Rancho Santa Rosa I opened the other day. Traci felt it was a little tired but I didn’t get that…just more masculine than theh RSR. Big spicy fruit, some glycerin, tropical fruit, a little heat, honey. Just a little too rough for me…but well made. 89/100

2006 Domaine Maroslavac-Leger, Puligny-Montrachet, Les Champs Gain, Premier Cru
This was very nice. Prettier than the BC with hazelnut, lemon oil, minerals and a touch of honey. Medium bodied with nice acidity and a grippy mineral finish. 90/100

2004 Aubert, Ritchie Vineyard, Chardonnay
At this point, Traci, aka “The Chardster”, says it’s time for an Aubert. I can’t say no. Everything an Aubert Chard should be. Big rich citrus fruit, a little smoke, honey with a long finish. Drinking very well for those that like that big sweet ripe fruit. Those who don’t should still wait on these for a little bit. 93/100

2001 Bressler, Cabernet Sauvignon, St. Helena, CA
I bought a couple each of these in the 2000 and 2001 vintages. Not sure if I ever opened one so what the heck time to open one. Very nicely made Cab. Not a blockbuster but very pretty silky fruit across the palate with cassis/blackberry, a little vanilla and a hint of some underbrush. Not overly complex but the texture and fruit density are very nice…89-91/100

2008 Littorai, Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
After everyone left and we were cleaning up, we grabbed a glass each of this wine. Bottled after 3 months or so in oak, it’s a bit raw and rough and over priced at $30+. Big grapey fruit, camp fire (this has some smoke tainted grapes from the fires), bruising a bit on the palate it comes across as more of sub $20 wine to me…oh well.

A fun evening.