TN: 2006 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino

• 2006 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (11/1/2012)
    Clear ruby red with a hint of bricking on the rim. The nose is a mix of cherry & woody aromatics. This shows bright red cherry on entry, some tobacco & truffle peek in on the mid palate before the fruit envelops everything on the back. The brightness helps create some balance on the mouthfeel, but as a young Brunello, even with air we get some grainy tannins. Gave this an hour in the decanter which opened it up. Very nice.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Anthony.

Very much looking forward to trying one in a few years.

While I am mostly still drinking my 2001 Brunello at this point, I decided to try this one first among my 2006s (I didn’t go as long on 2004 as I should have, so I’m saving most of the few I have). If you like your Brunello on the more elegant side, open this now and you will be rewarded. One can often interpret tasting notes that describe “elegant, light, airy, delicate,” etc. wines as if they were lacking something. Last night this wine was all of those things, yet lacked nothing. Brought up from the cellar and opened about 30 minutes before serving to allow it to come up to temp, but not decanted. Wide open, expressive, and again just paradoxically jam packed with aromas and flavors going on, but nothing heavy - maybe this is what others mean by “filigreed”? Wonderful. I don’t see anything left to resolve in this bottle, and I do have some concern that this phase may not last too long and the next phase may not be an improvement, so I’m going to drink my others over the next 3-4 years. Wonderful stuff!

This producer is relatively new to me but I like what I have had.

Really enjoy Le Ragnaie. Would also recommend as a place to stay as it is beautifully located outside the city of Montalcino… but really not far… and well situated for visiting this area of Italy!