TN: 2000 Fontanabianca Barbaresco (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

• 2000 Fontanabianca Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (7/15/2009)
    What a simply enjoyable wine. Lush sweet red fruit (need to try more Fontanabianca to disambiguate the 2000 vintage from what may be their style), ample tannin (though sweet and round), ample acidity, lots of chalk / talcum character, a hint of multivitamin, lots of flowers. Youthful but not austere, a pretty finish that is somewhat clamped by structure. This wine has miles to go in the tank, but that doesn’t in any way hamper the enjoyment of current consumption. This bottle way overperforms its very modest price tag (~$25 as I recall?). While it doesn’t have the ethereal weightlessness of a great Giacosa or Conterno nor the endless character of a Giuseppi Rinaldi or Giuseppi Mascarello, it has hints of what make great Barolo and Barbaresco great, and I think those hints will show even more in 3, 5 or perhaps even 10 years. One of if not the best Nebbiolo at the price I have had, actually.

Posted from CellarTracker

Josh, thanks for the great note. The '97 is lovely and ready to drink. The '96 is altogether more serious and needs a few more years. Maybe look for those other vintages to calibrate the 2000?

-Michael

The only other wines I have from Fontanabianca are another bottle of this, and a mixed 6 pack of 99,00 and 01 Sori Burdin, so nothing older to try… was thinking of trying one of the 99’s or 01’s, we shall see…

The '96 and '97 I referenced were both Sori Burdin. Forgot about that, sorry. I imagine that '99 and '01 are even less approachable than the '96 I mentioned.