2010 Eyrie Pinot Meunier

The Pinot Meunier can be a hard bottle to find if you’re not on the Eyrie mailing list, so I always ask about it when I stop in.

The first thing that surprised me when I poured the wine was the color. This wine is usually darker than the Eyrie Pinots, but the 2010 Meunier is either a very light red wine or a very dark rosé. The aroma was still primary with the standard dark cherry and other red fruit aromas. There was a little earthy note that I typically find in this wine. On the palate, the wine was intense cherries and some earth, with a great mouth-feel, mid-palate and finish. On day 2, the notable change was that the earth flavors had gotten much more noticeable, and had a distinct iron component to it. On day one it was excellent, and on day two it was a lot better. This got my wife saying “Wow!” and asking how much we had - which doesn’t happen very often, especially with a red wine.

BTW, the folks in the Eyrie tasting room told me that the 2010 Reserve will be released this Thanksgiving and that Jason is still holding back the 2008 Reserve.

Interesting wine Rick. Oregon-wise, I’ve only ever had the Willakenzie version, which was much richer description-wise. Is there much around?

RT

Rich,
The previous Eyrie versions that I’ve had (2004, 2006, 2008, and some from the 90s) were darker and richer, IMO, than their PInot Noirs. What was interesting to me was that flavor and concentration were not color dependent. This was the palest Pinot Meunier I’ve had, yet the most flavorful.

I don’t think they make a lot of this. I suspect maybe 100 cases? The label actually says " A very limited bottling of Pinot Meunier". Most of it goes to their Wine Club, and the rest is sold at the tasting room. As of last week they only had a couple of cases left.

Teutonic makes one, too, and as you’d guess it is on the lighter side.

Thanks for the heads -up on the reserve release date. I’m waiting for Cameron’s reserve release in November as well!

Strictly speaking, the Cameron Reserve is already out. I’m guessing you’re talking AR and CE.

Ron,
We had the 2010 Clos Electrique Blanc and Rouge tonight - a little early gift from John. I’ll put notes in their own thread tomorrow. Tease - the Blanc is really bleeping good.

Thanks for the heads up, Rick. Many I respect say Cameron’s whites are their best wines. I feel sorry for you drinking all that Eyrie and Cameron. You’re truly in God’s country!

Ron, Thanks. You are correct. A quick check tells me that I’ve already purchased the Reserve. I’m waiting on the others to fill out my case and ship.

Rick, glad you are enjoying the local bounty! I look forward to your notes.

Are there any noteworthy bottlings of still Pinot Meunier in France? I’ve only ever heard of it as a component of sparkling wines.

Garagiste has brought in a Clos Saint-Fiacre Orleans that has a little PN in it that’s pretty nice for $14.

There is a lovley “Niagara Escarpment” Pinot Meunier available from Vineland Estates Winery. The current 2011 Vintage is a spring 2012 LCBO Vintages release but is currently available at the winery. A excellent example of PM done as a still red.