TN : 2004 Clos de la Roche - Domaine Dujac

I sometimes post a note on a 2004 Burgundy that seems to go against the grain of those who automatically tie the 2004’s to unrepentant grapes, ladybug taint, etc.

Opened a 2004 Clos de la Roche - Domaine Dujac a couple of nights ago to accompany a chicken breast dish with a red wine sauce. Only medium ruby in colour, which
I find common to many Dujac wines; exceptional aromas that penetrated the nostrils and featured sweet cherry and spice, along with an element of oak; round and
full on the palate with a lot of sweet cherry and raspberry - some red plum also - fine balance and structure framed by soft underlying tannins, acidity and some
vanillan oak; lasted well in the aftertaste that extended out with the attractive flavours with absolutely no green characteristics some feel as being part of the 2004’s.
Enjoyed this Burgundy very much.

Purchased on release, but I think that my supply here in the cellar is unfortunately exhausted. I still have some in my cache at the golf club.

Background music through dinner - Bill Evans from a CD containing selections chosen by Herbie Hancock.

Hank [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note Hank. It’s interesting, how people have different thresholds regarding the ‘greenie meanies’. Particularly with Dujac, since the stem factor is a factor in their wines, which could possibly be confusing to some.

[basic-smile.gif] Some may be preconditioned to expect the greenie characteristic when they drink a 2004, Roger.
Lorraine, who has a sensitive palate for unpleasant tastes in wines, remarked that she really enjoyed this wine.
I had to agree. This bottling might fool some staunch Burgundy aficionados if tasted on a blind basis. It may not
have been quite as rich as the 1999 or 2002 vintages, but extremely agreeable.

Georges Lignier told me one time that vintages in Burgundies ( at least with his own wines ) are difficult to differentiate
after 10 years. In a vintage like 2004 that might be stretching. Suffice, a number of producers in 2004 produced some
dreadful wines, while some others crafted some dandies.

Hank [cheers.gif]

Sounds really nice, Hank.
alan

Thanks hank. I bought some a little whiles back so gla d to hear they are in fine shape

Hank your note is a bright spot on mostly negative green notes on this bottle in this vintage.
Do you think additional time will help this improve? I am holding 3 bottles purchased on release.

Thanks Hank. I’ve got a box of mixed 04 Dujacs, time to have a look at one I think.

I thought this was quite green the last one I had…

Hard to tell if time has brought some mellowing to this wine, as a couple of posts here have reported the dreaded “greenie characteristic” with this wine. I’m just reporting my impressions from the other night.

Had dinner at the golf club last evening and noticed that I still have two bottles of this wine
in the dining room locker. Opted instead for a 1992 Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
to accompany our beef tenderloins. This wine exhibited very dark colour with a thin pink rim;
some serious cedar and spice in the aromas; round and full on the palate - with more blackberry than
currant flavours; smooth and lasting finish. Decanted at the table, but it got better and better
as it opened up. A friend in Tucson, who has a remarkable talent for nuances, says that Silver Oak
Cabs through off a cocoanut aroma, but I didn’t detect any with this one. So many Silver Oak knockers
around…maybe my ability to discern a good wine has faded over the years, so that every wine I
drink seems to be a good one. [swoon.gif] After all, two good ones in a row?

I don’t thinks so, but… [highfive.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]

I’m happy that this one was good for you Hank. Ours are in the cellar in the “open if we are feeling lucky” position. I’m not optimistic but hopefully further cellar time will help.

I am unfortunately hyper sensitive to all kinds of flaws. I have had a lot of the 04s and although some are not as obvious, all seem to be affected by pyrazine. BTW, I love the 04 La Tache and it has a hint of green.

• 2004 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (2/25/2011)
    Very strong green note from the beginning to the end. Excellent concentration but the green kills this wine. (80 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

The folly of trying to post notes on this vintage?

Well, my response 4 weeks ago was the same as Kevin’s. I didn’t feel the need to put pen to paper…

I don’t feel it’s folly nor is it folly to pull the corks as I have done, Stuart.
You have said that you hold considerable quantities of the 2004’s. Are you opening these?

As I indicated above I’m pleased that we drank the Clos de la Roche, and most certainly enjoyed it. Mind you
I hopefully draw my impressions without a preconditioned bias. Maybe that’s where I go wrong. [highfive.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]

Hank,
I meant to add that I respect your palate. If you enjoy the bottle that is what really matters and I know at least a couple of others whose opinion is the same as yours regarding the 04 Dujac CDR and CSD.
Cheers,

Well here’s my note on it.
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/tn-04-dujac-cdlr-89-pichon-baron/37861/1

Kevin, I appreciated long ago that everyone’s palate differs from one another’s; that my own impressions
are not the end all; that I can learn much from what others have to contribute about any wine and can respect
that they may be closer to validation than my own slant on the wine. When I say “long ago” I mean that I have been
tasting and drinking wine for more years than I care to count, and probably have forgotten more experiences than I can remember.

What I can say in all truth is that I drink wines for enjoyment; it’s merely fermented grape juice after all; and can laugh along
when anyone chooses to poke fun at me. Having a vibrant sense of humour counts for something. Why else would I poke Stuart
in the ribs from time to time? …simply that Stuart has long believed that 2004 in Burgundy may never change, albeit he has
acknowledged from time to time that some good wines may have been made in that vintage. I do so in the spirit of fun - nothing else.
Of course, Stuart’s and others’ views are validly expressed and must be respected. I’ve often said that it would be an awfully dull
wine world if everyone shared the same impressions and drank the same wines. No palate is invincible and we can all draw
something from the broader perspective.

Hank [cheers.gif]

lasted well in the aftertaste that extended out with the attractive flavours with absolutely no green characteristics some feel as being part of the 2004’s.

I think the “folly” is posting as if it’s the wine that’s at issue-- rather than the sensitivity/obliviousness of the taster. And, that’s how I read the post that initiated the thread.

And, if it’s an acknowledgement that it’s not the wine itself…all it’s telling us is that taster didn’t find the greenies that many others have found in the same wine. That’s not news, but is part of the folly.

Somewhat amusing nevertheless, but why post such a note. deadhorse We already know some people are oblivious to the flaw.

Nothing personal, of course, but…what does it reall tell us that is worth a thread.

Stuart, are you saying that there is no chance to avoid the greenie meanies? That if it’s not tasted, that it’s the flaw of the drinker?

“…And, if it’s an acknowledgement that it’s not the wine itself…all it’s telling us is that taster
didn’t find the greenies that many others have found in the same wine. That’s not news, but is part of the folly…”

But, Stuart, if I didn’t post it, there may be some reading it that might feel
that I really do have an acute sensitivity to those dreaded greenies. This way they will
know the truth, which unfortunately is that I really don’t know the difference,
and go blithely on to drink any old plonk and believe it rivals La Tache. [wink.gif]

Good to see you posting again, Stuart. I may have missed your insight on some topics,
because I don’t haunt every thread, but I nevertheless enjoy reading what you have to say.

Hank [cheers.gif]